(Ludek) Combining Databases

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

MMhow2

(Ludek) Combining Databases

Post by MMhow2 »

I've had to do a MAJOR overhaul of my music files to work MM5 coming from iTunes. I think it was due to the iTunes file system I used. Anyways, three weeks later, I am ready to start rebuilding my playlist tree.

Here is my question (Ludek); If I am working on rebuilding my playlists on my desktop, can I also use my laptop to build playlists and then add the completed playlists to my desktop?

I have 52 playlists I need to rebuild (put songs back in them in order with the .mp3 overhaul I did). Let's say Playlist #12 (80's) & Playlist (90's) I work on my laptop while in the airport. When I get home, can I merge those playlists in with the other 50 I am working on my desktop?

All the music files on my desktop have been mirrored on my jump drive to be able to work on my playlists remotely. I do not want to start the process of working on playlists on my laptop, only to find out I cannot merge the two (or more) laptop playlists with the master on the desktop. That would suck. Like really suck. This has already been a lot of work to de-iTunes my life.
I am an innocent victim that knows nothing about MediaMonkey. Help me on my path of entertainment joy. :(
Peke

Re: (Ludek) Combining Databases

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Ludek will not be available for this week, but here is explanation.
There is no unfortunately 1 click solution as MM uses HDD Partition serial number to identify where the files reside and not file paths.

Before we go to solution, rule number one is ALWAYS have backup of MM5 library see default locations before you do anything with it.

Now the solution:
As you mirrored your music to Jump drive I guess you already have MM5 installed on laptop?
If yes please do the following:
1. Copy desktop MM5.DB to Laptop
2. As your files are not on desktop PC, but on Jump Drive do not scan Jump Drive, but use use file -> Locate moved missing tracks to pair tracks from desktop (they will not be playable on laptop and their properties will have no drive letter) with mirrored ones on Jump drive
3. Do the playlist rebuild
4. Once you go back home copy laptop MM5.DB to desktop (Unless you already have, do not forget to make backup of desktop MM5.DB just in case before overwrite it with one from laptop)
5. DO NOT plugin Jump drive as you will not use those files but local ones
6. Use file -> Locate moved missing tracks to pair tracks back to local Desktop copies.
7. Rebuild of Playlists should be preserved

If not, you have done something wrong (I have done that at least 300 times over the years without any problems)

Only downside is that each time you want to do changes to desktop MM5.DB you need to repeat the process and make sure that mirrored files are updated on Jump drive.

If you have any questions please let me know.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
MMhow2

Post by MMhow2 »

Cool man. Thanks for the quick response. Fingers crossed I can complete the task successfully!
I am an innocent victim that knows nothing about MediaMonkey. Help me on my path of entertainment joy. :(
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Take your time, have backups to start over if anything goes wrong as all steps I have wrote do not affect files, but only MM library.

It is vocation time, no need to hurry.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts