When will you port to Linux?

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Overcast

Re: When will you port to Linux?

Post by Overcast »

I was just poking around on the forums to see if I could get this to run under Linux as well. It's really about the only other app I'll need to ditch Windows on one of my two desktops. The other is for gaming, so that one might have to be Windows for a while..

So I'm definitely hoping for a port to Linux as well. There are some decent media players for Linux, but none quite as good as MM, in my opinion.
dang102

linux ver.

Post by dang102 »

I found a big bug its called windows ...... Need a linux vertion!
drakinite

Re: linux ver.

Post by drakinite »

Lol it's a little rude to make an entire thread about this with just a single sentence. They're already planning on making a Linux version eventually, iirc.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
nmwoodguy

Post by nmwoodguy »

I bought mm gold for windows. Will buy gold again, for linux, when that version is released.
spun

Post by spun »

nmwoodguy wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:06 am I bought mm gold for windows. Will buy gold again, for linux, when that version is released.
I also have the Gold version and would also pay again for a Linux version.
I would also pay upfront if it means you can speed up development.

Need a linux version! 8)
PhaenA

Post by PhaenA »

In the meantime, can you please provide tips to help run MediaMonkey 5 under wine on Linux? For example, it's possible to install MediaMonkey and the app launches, however the menus are cut off and there is a web window that automatically opens and cannot be closed. There are probably some component that can be installed via winetricks that would alleviate the issues. Can you provide any info about which components are needed by the program? Also, can you please remove your extremely old page http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... ediaMonkey which has info that's over 10 years old?
--
MediaMonkey Gold 4.1.5.1719 Windows 8.1 Pro x64
Jailr76

Post by Jailr76 »

Agreed. Dumped Windows a year ago, and sadly nothing comes close to MM for me. Gold user here. I'd get it again if you ever ported to Linux. Linux needs Media Monkey and vice versa!!!
jcfogerty

Post by jcfogerty »

PhaenA wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:16 pm In the meantime, can you please provide tips to help run MediaMonkey 5 under wine on Linux? For example, it's possible to install MediaMonkey and the app launches, however the menus are cut off and there is a web window that automatically opens and cannot be closed. There are probably some component that can be installed via winetricks that would alleviate the issues. Can you provide any info about which components are needed by the program? Also, can you please remove your extremely old page http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... ediaMonkey which has info that's over 10 years old?
It was easier to run MM using VirtualBox. If using Arch, install ArchSimian, and you can move your library data to Linux as well, then ditch Windows altogether.
john81

Linux

Post by john81 »

Hello,

great to see MM5 is released! I am a gold user since MM3. I often asked myself if MM are dead. Now, is a Linux-Release in planning?

Thank you for an honest answer.

Best regards,
johno
john81

Post by john81 »

Peke wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:19 pm Hi,
MediaMonkey Server development has already started. Even better it is open source. See viewforum.php?f=31

For MediaMonkey client users (Windows only ATM), you still still needs to be patient as if we all want same experience on any platform then it needs to be finished product on at least one. MM5 is getting stable by day so Linux/MAC client is much closer now.
i hope this will not take many years again. You always said: First MM5, then Linux. You take years to release v5. I am on Linux since 4 years now without Windows. I think i will switch completely to Spotify or else (maybe with hardware-player like: Mighty, Pebble Core, Samsung Gear Watch, Garmin Fenix or else) if we are in a year (10 years later) on the same stage... I don't want wait so many years again. Please give a simple Linux-Version a higher priority.

Thank you for an answer.
Best regards, johno