some suggestions

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

demm

some suggestions

Post by demm »

#1: context menu
i know you plan to do some interface changes in 2.2
please make the context menu customizable
i don't need burn or rip in my conext menu

#2: delay when auto-adding files
sometimes when i extract audio files from an archive into my music folder MM wants to read them before they're actually there - so there's a acces violation because windows is still writing to the file
so a small delay would be good (1-5 sec)

#3: remember last node
i also know that you will make various changes to the tree view
it would be nice if MM remembers the last played node after relaunch
so if i played a specific band when i exit MM, this band should be opened when launching MM the next time

and btw: i love MM, but please stay on track with the development - MM is a music player, i don't need an cd burning feature in a music player. if i want to burn a cd i use nero. in my opinion features concerning the usability or the music player abilities are much more important than a cd burning feature without nero...

that was it

keep on your good work!
regards
Lowlander

Yes and no

Post by Lowlander »

3. This would be a nice small feature

I would very much like to see added CDripping support as it would be way easier for me to rip out of the MM interface. I would add my wish for a burn CD node (optional).
jiri

Post by jiri »

1. Yes, the interface will be pretty much improved in 2.2. Even customization of toolbars, menus, etc. is planned, but I don't think it will be fully implemented in 2.2.

2. You really get AV errors then? Please try to send more detailed information. There is currently a delay of 3 seconds, maybe some more clever solution is needed.

3. It's on the to-do list, I cannot say more yet... ;-)

Jiri
demm

Post by demm »

concerning the AV error:
it happens often, but i can't reproduce it 100%

but it accidently happend in a case like this:
i have an archive full of mp3 (zip or rar) - it's about 100mb big
mm is playing a song
i drag&drop the files to my music folder, winzip extracts them to the temp directory and then moves them to the specified location

while the windows explorer shows the move progress bar mm gets the AV error, it wanted to access to the first file that got moved into the music folder

priority for background tasks is set to lowest
i have an athlon xp 1800+ and 256mb ram

the ram may be the problem, because windows (+background progs +mm) uses about 150mb, now extracting the 100mb big archive may take the rest of the ram, so the virtual ram has to be used, but that could be too slow...

i think raising the delay to 4/5 seconds won't hurt anybody, but it could solve the problem
jiri

Post by jiri »

Ok, thanks for the info. I don't think that simple increasing of the delay is the best idea, I'll rather review what can be the reasons and what are the other options to prevent it.

It would really help if you could submit a error log as described in http://www.songs-db.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=69, because then I could more exactly locate what's wrong.

Thanks,
Jiri
demm

Post by demm »

sry, i was not able to reproduce the bug any more...
guess it can't be that important
you just have to press retry and it works anyway after that...

i have another suggestion:

the file monitor should have an option to monitor a folder during runtime but to NOT scan it on startup

this would fasten up the startup time, everytime i copy new music into my folder i just start MM
jiri

Post by jiri »

It's possible to configure file monitor this way - just disable Start-up scan in file monitor configuration sheet.

Jiri