MM for Mac - I just switched to Apple

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

I would like to see MediaMonkey for other OS than Windows

You may select 1 option

View results

SomeOne2

Post by SomeOne2 »

amaroK ? It's a KDE package and I prefer Gnome. And does amaroK support "auto-organizing" files? I don't think so. I haven't used it for quite a while because I use (on Linux) Listen, a Gnome music player.

About Windows Vista now. Of course, no one force me to update to vista but I have to admit that I'm sick of Microsoft's policy about software and licence. I don't want to start the non-ending discussion *nux vs Microsoft, it's just I can't afford paying licences for all the soft I use. (I don't like to steal either so warez stuff is not a solution).

I want to completly leave the "Windows world". I did it for about a year but had to go back on Windows because of (lots of) Word files I deal have to deal with. Now I won't have that problem and plan to install the next long time support release of Ubuntu. Most of the time, I only use my computer home to read my mail (on gmail), listen to the music (while reading my mail). From time to time, download some american serie on bittorent or mirc, watch some divx and that's all. Why would I have to pay additional softwares (antivirus, firewalls, dvd players) for so little needs ?

Anyway, mediamonkey is great and a port to linux would be amazing.
XratedFozzibaer

allmost 9000 views...

Post by XratedFozzibaer »

I would say, this represents the interest for the "no native MM on Mac"-problem.
Why is this topic not on any grouped wishlist? Or did I just miss it?

I need to say it again. Tried out many music-organizers/players and none could get close to MM. So please, the mac-community needs this programm!
Alex a.k.a. lxne
---------------------------
http://www.lxne.eu
MBP, OSX Leopard
TJOHO

Post by TJOHO »

Just wanted to add my pleas to this thread.

I just switched to Mac - the only thing holding me back was in fact the lack of MM! I guess I will be using Parallels to run MM, but it´s a clumsy solution, requiring a virtual XP machine to always be running (yes, I always listen to music at my computer).

I´m already a Lifetime licence owner. How about running up funds for a Mac Lifetime licence to cover (some) development costs?
Blake

Post by Blake »

If anything I would rather Linux be supported.

TJOHO wrote:How about running up funds for a Mac Lifetime licence to cover (some) development costs?
I don't think any of the devs. are familiar with mac developing (correct me if i'm wrong) so mac developing would require a new developer, which would require more money.
_________

Anyway I think there should be a donation section on the home page because MM is so great :D.
kiliam lord

MAc vs. PC

Post by kiliam lord »

i am a graphic designer and ave been for 17 years, and a prepress technician for 13 years. most graphic software, music creation software, video editing software, and office software i have used on both mac and pc has definitely perfomed better on a mac. i have had a lot less errors occur running these programs on the mac. macs are not dumbed down pc's by the way look up the history of both os's you'd be suprised at what you'd find out. mr. gates continually pushes to emulate what mr. jobs had done in advance (with the exception of completely reworking an os instead of face lifting outdated and unstable platforms. i wish i had mm in my arsenal of mac programs. i really believe there is a need for a program like mm for the mac. if ventis doesn't make it someone else i'm sure will by taking the best features of mm and making their own.

please consider macmonkey
audiophiles should love every type of musical gear evolution made possible and contribute to the evolution by helping to improve whatever type of technology it is. especially something as radical as mediamonkey.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Well Mac is known as the PC for designers (and professors). And each to their own, you should use whatever works for you.

As you can run either Windows or MediaMonkey through some form of virrtualization, the relatively small ammount of Mac users (as compared to PC) and that Mac and iTunes come from the same company I wonder how many MacMonkeys Ventis would be able to sell. After all it is an economics issue.

As a Windows user I prefer to think selfish on this issue and hope that they dedicate their time on making MediaMonkey better instead of porting it to other OS's.

The developers have indicated in the past that at the moment they weren't planning on a MediaMonkey for another OS, but that the option remained open for the future.

In the meanwhile we feel for the Mac (and Linux) community for not having their own MediaMonkey :wink: .
anyajade

Switching over to a Mac

Post by anyajade »

I've been on a PC for the past 10 years and just got a MacBook as a suprise gift. My first thought was, "But what about MediaMonkey? eek eek!"

I have Parallels but.... I'd definitely pitch in at least $60 if there was a Mac version.
remp

Post by remp »

Well I've been able to access & manage the files on my mac over the network at home using MM, can even add it to file monitor.. but I'm stuck when I take my mackbook on the road - MM has me sooo spoiled - it really is the most comprehensive program out there - A version for Mac would be a godsend.

So may pro audio guys on Mac & they are kinds stuck with itunes - MM would take over that market in short order
beaverhyde

$100 toward the Mac version

Post by beaverhyde »

I just switched to Mac at home after 15 years on Windows, but I miss my Monkey ;( I have a massive music library (>10,000 songs) and MM is the only app I've ever found that gives me the power and flexibility to manage it the way I want. I've been able to find suitable Mac versions or replacements for all my other apps except MM.

I already have a MM Gold lifetime membership, but I'm in for another $100 toward the Mac version. Please consider!
XratedFozzibaer

Is money the problem?

Post by XratedFozzibaer »

Mediamonkey is worth many bucks! I already have my lifetime-license but that would not stop me from paying for a mac-version. iTunes is OK for listening to podcasts. But even those can't be organized well in iTunes.
iMonkey would rule!
Alex a.k.a. lxne
---------------------------
http://www.lxne.eu
MBP, OSX Leopard
Dantheman8

MM FOR MAC

Post by Dantheman8 »

I would love to see a mac version of MM. is this planned?

thanks
denisb

MacMonkey wanted

Post by denisb »

I am a new Mac OSX user aswell. Windows Vista is definitely not what I want from an OS "upgrade" (dedicate lots of CPU cycles to make sure I am not doing anything "suspicious" is not my idea of good programming).

I miss my MediaMonkey Gold, but I have managed to get VMWare Fusion and Parallels to work pretty well with MM. Still having a native Monkey would be worth a lot to me. I pledge at least $60 (in addition to being a paying MM customer).

I do think there is a market for MediaMonkey on Mac. There seems to be very few other jukebox/media managers that come even close to offering any of the functionality of MM / iTunes, and people on Mac are actually used to paying for their software. On Linux you have amaroK (which works excellently under Gnome too by the way), and Linux users prefer OSS software which is free on all accounts.

On Mac there are certain libraries / toolkits available to facilitate porting software from Windows, and I guess this could be a viable path for porting MediaMonkey?
Creonus

Post by Creonus »

I, too, am willing to pay for MediaMonkey on a Mac.
Spirit.DJane

MM on MacBook BootCamp WinXP

Post by Spirit.DJane »

MM2.5 with WinXP & Boot Camp 1.3 and two instances / two soundcards.
Deeper tests run fine!

MM3 with WinXP & Bootcamp 1.4
Runs fine in first tests!
sdvorian2

Post by sdvorian2 »

iTunes vs. MM is definitely a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig loser, however, there's one thing in iTunes that saves it the right to live on my mac - it's remote speaker support. Wich the MM had it sometime in the future.