Linux.... mediamonkey.... meant to be..?

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Would you use mediamonkey on ubuntu?

You may select 1 option

View results

passport

Re: Ubuntu.... mediamonkey.... meant to be..?

Post by passport »

I just joined the forum so that I could vote in this poll. I am currently looking around for a media manager, looking for an alternative to iTunes. I am very reluctant to commit to the Windows platform for this task.

If MediaMonkey were available on a Linux (Ubuntu is my first choice), I would migrate from iTunes to MediaMonkey (deluxe or lifetime version, not sure yet) in a heartbeat.

Thanks for listening.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

passport wrote: If MediaMonkey were available on a Linux (Ubuntu is my first choice), I would migrate from iTunes to MediaMonkey (deluxe or lifetime version, not sure yet) in a heartbeat.

Thanks for listening.
But iTunes isn't available for any Linux OS either..?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
jota

Post by jota »

I'm installing a new PC for my bar in Amsterdam. I have a lifetime MM license. Oh how i wish i could setup the new PC with ubuntu!
But alas, we need MM and so it's XP once more
i really hope the great MM developpers will find the time and energy to port the program to Linux. I would certainly be willing to pay for another licence!
Ben (The Benster)

Post by Ben (The Benster) »

Mediamonkey runs ok for us under wine (on openSUSE 11.2 x86_64). We are running it on 2 HP DV9000 laptops (2.0ghz Turion 64x2 1G & 4G ram)

It is slow to load but performs well once loaded. It has not crashed on us so far, but it does have some weird interaction with Compiz if you try to minimize it. It would be much nicer to have a native version, but it is possible to live with running it under wine if you are tolerant of some quirks.

We do not use any synchronization features as we are dj's and dance teachers and so only use it to organize and play music - they may or may not work - we don't know. Tagging, including custom tags works, as do all the search, playlist, and organizing features. Crossfading, and volume leveling also work.
The internet links are best shut off, as are the tooltips for long file names. CD ripping works, burning does not.

In short, the situation is not ideal, but tolerable in the interim period until MM is available in a native linux version.

The linux community has a proud tradition of writing enormous amounts of code and distributing it freely - if the MM development team would reach out and publish a list of modules they need written to make the transition happen, I am quite sure they would find the required code dropped in their inboxes in short order, with appropriate licenses to allow it's use without any fees.

Ben
Nikos kapoutsis

Post by Nikos kapoutsis »

I want an ubuntu Linux version as well! I just switched To ubuntu and its AMAZING!!!
I want to be able to sync my iPhone with Media monkey.
MM developers I beg you to release an ubuntu version of your beautiful app!!
Please!
blackorpheus

Post by blackorpheus »

Hi,
MM is working great on Ubuntu 9.10 with Wine. I was usin it with Virtual Box and I'm happy to not have to start the VB for managing my music.
Somebody can tell me if there is possibility to synchronise with Iphone under Wine? I've tried few things but it still doesn't work...
Another problem is that the viewer is blank on start up, I'v got to change skin after each start up to fix it. Somebody have the same trouble?

I think the most simple is to have a native linux Media Monkey :wink: :wink: :wink:

sorry for my English...
Melloware

Post by Melloware »

First let me say MediaMonkey rules the roost among all players/organizers I have ever used, or tried to write myself. I will always run at least 1 PC or Virtual Machine with Windows just for it.

But if you absolutely had to use Ubuntu and didn't want to run VirtualBox or Wine then the only decent player for Gnome is Banshee.

http://banshee-project.org/

It is NO where near MediaMonkey, just thought I would throw it out there for others.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
MonkeyTunes - DACP Server for MediaMonkey
Intelliremote - Take Back Control of your HTPC!
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
DC

Post by DC »

Just to keep this thread alive: I converted to Kubuntu64 a few months ago. Most things run smoothly except online banking and mp3 management. I still have got to check out some apps but it's not looking good. Most of them require a perfectly tagged library (no folder based navigation) or lack auto-tag or auto-organize feature in the MM style. MM on wine is not working for me - the file list is always empty in details view and I cannot play a file: no audio, not even with the wine audio mapper. Maybe I have to install wine tricks but I would probably rather use virtual box to put those 8 Gigs of RAM and a quadcore to good use ;-)

PS: I would renew my lifetime license for a linux version (preferably Qt/KDE).
quarkslot

Post by quarkslot »

Like you I'm a Kubuntu user (18 months and counting). I find little reason to use Windows anymore other than MM and would love a Linux version, but it runs perfectly well using VirtualBox, it's a bit inconvenient but I can live with it for now.

(For online banking try KMyMoney, it's excellent, I've been using it for several years after ditching MS Money).
pushpull

Post by pushpull »

For those wanting MM on Ubuntu here is a chance to make your voice heard.

http://lifehacker.com/5450943/tell-ubun ... -available

Post by Guest »

Doesn't make good business sense to develop a version of MediaMonkey that runs on Ubuntu to tap into that 1% of the market. The developers are better off focusing their attention on improving their player for the remaining 99% of its users instead of having it being diverted into trying to make it compatible with Ubuntu.
quarkslot

Post by quarkslot »

Guest wrote:Doesn't make good business sense to develop a version of MediaMonkey that runs on Ubuntu to tap into that 1% of the market. The developers are better off focusing their attention on improving their player for the remaining 99% of its users instead of having it being diverted into trying to make it compatible with Ubuntu.
It's a good point and also, in view of the fact the MM works so well in virtual environments like VirtualBox it could be argued that there is no need for a Linux version.

However cross-platform apps like OpenOffice, Firefox, Opera and VLC are increasingly popular. I recently started using Songbird, a cross-platform audio player, and while it doesn't yet match MM in terms of features it's only a matter of time and then I'll probably question whether running MM is worth the extra hassle. Which is a pity because I've been a loyal user for years but that's the reality - of course if Linux only represents 1% of MM users then, as you say, it's not worth the effort.
kirtiker

How about Mac?

Post by kirtiker »

Hey,

I'm thinking about changing to Mac. But I still don't want to use Itunes. Is there any hope? Hope so!

Cheers...
MMVMUbuntu

Post by MMVMUbuntu »

Like many others, the lack of access to the Monkey also held me back from moving to linux. However, just got MM up and running in Ubuntu 9.10/VirtualBox. Running well and all functionality appears to be present. Machine is only skt 939 Athlon 64X2 dual core processor 2.40 ghz, ASUS A8N-SLi Deluxe, 2.5 gig ram, virtual XP. Suspect the fact that it runs well in VirtualBox in such a relatively old setup means the economics will never support a linux specific version. Perhaps what we should be looking for is a script(?) in Ubuntu that launches VirtualBox/XP/MM with one click - don't even know if that is possible?
JwlzMT

Post by JwlzMT »

MMVMUbuntu wrote:Perhaps what we should be looking for is a script(?) in Ubuntu that launches VirtualBox/XP/MM with one click - don't even know if that is possible?
That seems simple enough to do:

Use VBoxManage and have it to load your copy of XP.

Make a shortcut that enters the appropriate VBoxManage commands.

On your virtual XP system, just add a shortcut MediaMonkey to the Startup folder of the XP Start Menu.