Linux.... mediamonkey.... meant to be..?

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Would you use mediamonkey on ubuntu?

You may select 1 option

View results

jorgeat

Re: Ubuntu.... mediamonkey.... meant to be..?

Post by jorgeat »

1000 users for 19

dont wana code for 19000?? what is the roi nedeed ?

plz MM is a great piece of code and dont wanna return to windows
dranach

Post by dranach »

It has been one year or so that I made the complete move from Microsoft to Linux for the desk- and laptop. I've been playing with Linux a bit longer than that, though, on my servers.
I wouldn't get back to Microsoft for the life of me... but MediaMonkey is holding me somewhat back.
I am still looking for alternatives in Linux (guayadeque seems great, except for synchronization with portable players...). Since all my ratings are for the moment added to MM, I use either Virtualbox or Windows on a spare swappable disk, but it's a drag firing up a virtualmachine or swapping disks. I will definitely switch from MM if there is a viable alternative.

Unless Mediamonkey was ported to Linux (mayhaps even a distribution like Ubuntu). As a Gold user with a lifetime license, I would gladly pay the same amount again to have my bonds with Microsoft *completely* cut off...

Cheers
ticklesniffer

Post by ticklesniffer »

I would love to see mediamonkey be the DEFAULT media player for ubuntu
kmenzel

Post by kmenzel »

I don't think you would see it as the default player unless it was FOSS... :)
Benn

Post by Benn »

For those running it via Wine... is it possible to use any skins? Not played with it much yet, but just curious that's all
Ninjabear

Post by Ninjabear »

The problem is that their philosphy is too different. Linux is open-source and free. MM is closed-source, mostly free. Using extra repositories you could install MM if available but I think to work MM developers would need to decide to go open source. MM would always been seen as not doing enough if they stayed closed source on Linux. MM would be seen as the bad guys on Linux, currently they have a very positive following.

Like all things Linux we just have to wait for the open-source train to catch up. To me the Ubuntu platform is already superior to Windows but the software is not always there. Like in Adobe CS, you have alternatives: GIMP for Photoshop, this year we got Inkscape for Illustrator, each year a huge new app comes along, music will probably have its day. Personally I hate all the music players in Linux currently, Amarok etc.
altendky

Post by altendky »

http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... uick_Start

Following the rest of the instructions left me with an install of MediaMonkey that could play Ogg files but not MP3 or FLAC. The above link quickly got me up and running... well, limited testing and the track list doesn't work, but it does run and play. Perhaps it can save others the hours I spent trying to un-break MP3 and FLAC support.
abhishekpathak

Post by abhishekpathak »

That is true.None of the linux players currently boast of as power-packed features as Mediamoneky. Add to top of that most of them aren't skinnable. Mediamonkey is a winner to me,as is Linux.Looks like we have to wait though.
amudman

Post by amudman »

This is almost a rant about me, but I am nearly 70 years old and figure it is my turn. I am not trained or very knowledgeable on computers, scripts and terminal talk....and I never will be.

I use Ubuntu because it is a good system and I use MediaMonkey because it is the best music program. I use 2 other music program for some things, jetaudio and Itunes, each does some good things in Windows. In Ubuntu I have tried them all and remain disappointed. That is were I get frustrated. Right now I am using Ubuntu 10.04 on a desktop and a laptop (IBM t23). I dual boot the desktop so getting MM to run is not problem.

The laptop boots into Ubuntu. The absence of a suitable substitute for MM is a glaring fact of Ubuntu. Wine does not seem user friendly enough for me to use. I need my music so I installed Virtualbox. The program is free and has steadily improved since I started using it to be better for my kind on computer knowledge. But the old, tired laptop is pushed and MM has to wait on the poor old thing to get things done. But Virtualbox salvages Ubuntu and my music is available. (It is greater than 10,000 songs, but I am editing down to get a shorter 'active' list to help my old friend IBMt23.

Virtualbox may eventually get so refined as to allow MediaMonkey to run great on Ubuntu, but if not is there any alternative not yet tried?

Could MediaMonkey have a Windows-like, bare-bones front in added that allows MM to play on V-box without all the overhead of a real windows? In other words a stand-alone MediaMonkey. The old T23 is a great, but dated machine and I want to keep on using it.

In closing, I wish Great Holiday Season for all and thank you so much for the fun I have had using and learning all the great stuff that MM does. Cool work, folks, really cool.
chuck
krcrouse

Post by krcrouse »

amudman,

I've used mediamonkey in virtualbox without a problem. You might checkout TinyXP or TIny7, which is an ultralight and barebones distribution of windows. I've been using it for my Quicken needs.

I used to use it for MM, but I don't like the overhead. And to think, MM was one of the dozen shareware programs I've paid for - and I'd do it again, if it ran natively on Linux. Hell, as a computer programmer I'd even work to port it over (I made the offer back in '08 without a response from the developers)!

Alas, it's just not meant to be.

Kevin
mfaine

Post by mfaine »

Take a look at http://www.jthink.net/jaikoz/on Linux. In this case it is function over form becuase while it isn't really pretty to look at like MM it is Java based and platform agnostic and has more/better tagging features than MM. It isnt' really a player though more of a tagger and organizer.
markstuartwalker

Post by markstuartwalker »

Today I've just installed MM under Wine running on Ubuntu. And it worked!!!!

Specifically Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick) with Wine 1.2.2. The are 2 caveats
1. You MUST use skinning
2. The tracks don't show until you go into the options and change to another skin.

I must say that I'd tried this several times in the past and failed miserably so this was quite a breakthrough.

Mark
Windows 7,8 / Ubuntu 13.10 / Mavericks 10.9 / iOS 7.1 / iTunes 11.1
iTunes plugin (d_itunes & itunes4) http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=45713
Running MM under Mac OS X with Wine http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =4&t=58507

Post by Guest »

I finally got MM to play music (kind of important, considering it's a media player) after the skinning suggestion.
Only one really, really stupid thing: If I want to scan my external hard drive for music, it doesn't even list the drive. It only lists my two internal hard drives.
Media Monkey's excellent management of my excessively large music library despite it being on my external hard drive is the main reason I love the program. Now with ubuntu I have to open up the folders to browse my music.
Any suggestions to fix this problem?
markstuartwalker

Use the Wine configure/drives to map the mount point to a drive letter.

By default Z: is mapped to / how about mapping
p: to /media/drive1
q: to /media/drive2
iTunes plugin (d_itunes & itunes4) http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=45713
Running MM under Mac OS X with Wine http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =4&t=58507
markstuartwalker

I have also used VirtualBox to host an instance of TinyXP to run MM.

Using this is in Seamless mode interleaves the different OS window together and provides a spookily complete solution.

All on a 1.8ghz Acer Revo.