Library View...Collapse Tracks!!!!!!!!Please!!!!

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

DAReese

Re: Library View...Collapse Tracks!!!!!!!!Please!!!!

Post by DAReese »

I agree. I am still trying to find a good replacement for MMJB. MediaMonkey is the closest one so far, but this update would be very welcome.

Rosemary128 wrote:Yes, please keep this post going.

MediaMonkey is a great piece of software but the inability to collapse tracks (especially the artists column) is a gaping flaw. If you have a large music collection it can take a long time to get to the artist you want. I too used MusicMatch and miss this simple feature a lot.

Post by Guest »

jiri wrote:Could you post a screenshot of how would you like the feature to look like?

Thanks,
Jiri
Artist/Album Title - Clicking on this would then open the track listing for a particular album. MusicMedia Jukebox did this extremely well.
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

I support this as well.
It would make a lot of sense to implement this in Mediamonkey as it is tailored for managing big libraries.

I don't really get how Lowlander can prefer the current system where you need to click on the artwork.
In my experience it's tedious , it feels slow and it doesn't save any space at all. :-?

Anyway this should be implemented as an option ofc. So that everyone is happy.

Jiri asked for a screenshot:

Seems like it can work for any grouping column. artist, genre, album, ...
That must be awesome to navigate like that.
Far superior to the separate "column browser" panel in Mediamonkey/ itunes.

Again I strongly support this.
Seven Ultimate X64 SP1 / Sansa Clip 2go (with RockBox)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Constantly having to expand to see tracks while I can do same already in the Tree makes no sense to me. But this probably can be done through Grouping which is available in the Art and Art with Details view. It's just missing in the Details view and is probably missing an Expand/Collapse all option.
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

Lowlander wrote:Constantly having to expand to see tracks while I can do same already in the Tree makes no sense to me.
This feature obviously implies a "expend/collapse all" button/hotkey.
And the tree don't have headers. So no you can't do that in the tree.
It's the whole point: hierarchy + columns.
Lowlander wrote:But this probably can be done through Grouping which is available in the Art and Art with Details view. It's just missing in the Details view and is probably missing an Expand/Collapse all option.
Please no. I absolutely hate the implementation of art view in Mediamonkey.
Navigating and Tagging in the art + detail view is a pain.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Dreadlau wrote:I absolutely hate the implementation of art view in Mediamonkey.
I'm suggesting Grouping get's enabled for the Details view too.
brs_manamal1

Post by brs_manamal1 »

This is right on target showing COLLAPSED "TRACKS" with the ability to expand when you WANT TO saving hours of scrolling and allowing users to easily manipulate the library especially when tagging. I used to leave all tracks collapsed and only leave tracks open on albums with tagging issues so when I happened across them again I would know that there was work to be done on the tags or some other issue within. this is not optional for me and before anyone says it(again) I don't want to use another stupid view, this is what I need for a very LARGE library requiring tons of work!!!!! I'm willing to do whatever is necessary to achieve this!!!!
I don't understand why media monkey which in my opinion is the best player/organizer out there right now would not implement this after years of people begging for it....are you guys serious really!!!! Give it up Monkey, we need this one!
brs_manamal1

Post by brs_manamal1 »

Come on guys is this really that hard for you guys!
Last edited by brs_manamal1 on Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brs_manamal1

Post by brs_manamal1 »

I'm currently looking at running virtualization software just so I can again use the old Musicmatch program for my tagging and library storage! Where are the developers, is this something possible or not because times awasting heheheh!
Last edited by brs_manamal1 on Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

Lowlander wrote:
Dreadlau wrote:I absolutely hate the implementation of art view in Mediamonkey.
I'm suggesting Grouping get's enabled for the Details view too.
Ok I understand now.
Unfortunately grouping is the very reason I dislike the album art with details view.
I'd prefer if each track got his own artwork miniature.
Anyway grouping is miles away from what is requested here.
brs_manamal1

Post by brs_manamal1 »

I'm not a developer but I'm not an idiot either who can explain what the problem is with the tree causing us to not collapse track view
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Dreadlau wrote:Anyway grouping is miles away from what is requested here.
Yeah, you're right. Grouping only collapses by letter not individual items.
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

Ah. I misunderstood again.
For some reason I visualized how albums are grouped by their artwork. ( which I dislike )
But yeah still not quite what is requested here.
windcrest77

Post by windcrest77 »

brs_manamal1 wrote:This is right on target showing COLLAPSED "TRACKS" with the ability to expand when you WANT TO saving hours of scrolling and allowing users to easily manipulate the library especially when tagging. I used to leave all tracks collapsed and only leave tracks open on albums with tagging issues so when I happened across them again I would know that there was work to be done on the tags or some other issue within. this is not optional for me and before anyone says it(again) I don't want to use another stupid view, this is what I need for a very LARGE library requiring tons of work!!!!! I'm willing to do whatever is necessary to achieve this!!!!
I don't understand why media monkey which in my opinion is the best player/organizer out there right now would not implement this after years of people begging for it....are you guys serious really!!!! Give it up Monkey, we need this one!
I think this is what I was asking about a few weeks ago, something that combines a grid with a tree in the same main rectangle. But I was thinking that the tree hierarchy would morph itself automatically to whatever column you last sorted on or whatever column you told an autoplaylist to sort on etc. So if you clicked a different columnn for sorting in the grid then the tree / grid plus signs would automatically group the whole grid contents by that new sort sequence. Lets say my autoplaylist was sorted initially by BPM; then by rating; then by artist; then by title. In this case the grid would have BPM as the topmost group headers, expanding each unique BPM would give more group headers by artist, expanding an artist would give group headers by song name, expanding a song name would give all versions of that song (if more than one exists). IOW the tree/grid would always be aware of the current sort sequence and add expanding groups based on that until the sort hierarchy is exhausted. At the point one clicks to the innermost sort hierarchy you just get songs. My example is complicated in that it has sorting on BPM, rating, artist, title. If I were to re sort the grid heaer on just artist then the tree / grid would only group by artist, so expanding the artist would simply dump all the songs under it. If I were to re-sort by artist and album then you would see the tree / grid group itself by album within artist, etc. Is this clear?

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =4&t=59909
windcrest77

Post by windcrest77 »

Dreadlau wrote:Ah. I misunderstood again.
For some reason I visualized how albums are grouped by their artwork. ( which I dislike )
But yeah still not quite what is requested here.

This may sound weird but the hierarchy I need is BPM, Title, Artist (yes artist within Title).

My previous post by letting the combo tree/grid generate groups based on current sort order would allow anyone to achieve the grouping they want for them.

In my case I have 500 different recordingss of lets say a popular tune like "Route 66" by about 450 different artists, I would want the group to be the Title and when I open it see all the versions by artist. This is a truly flexible solution MM should not lock itself into hard-coded groupings if it replaces the current flat grid with a hierarchical grid.