Explorere tree wishes

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Lowlander

Explorere tree wishes

Post by Lowlander »

Have less tabbing in the explorer tree, better said less space for each indent. In other words have everything located more to the left, so there is more visible of things like artists and albums without the need to scroll left and right so much.

Urgency: Would be nice
Last edited by Lowlander on Wed Oct 08, 2003 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rusty

Explorer tree indent

Post by rusty »

This need could theoretically be met by enabling customized views within the tree, however, that particular feature isn't that high on the priority list (yet).
daved

Post by daved »

I suspect this might be more to do with the Windows interface than anything else, and I think it's OK (although I hate Windows generally!).
However, one thing that might be improved is to retain the selected folder in the tree view in the lefthand pane, whilst working with entries in the right hand pane.
At the moment, when you click on any entry on the right panel the selection indicator for the left panel (node) disappears. This sometimes makes it difficult to keep track of where you are.
Again, it might be a "feature" of Windows, though.
rusty

Selection indicator in the tree

Post by rusty »

Daved, When the user selects a track in the Tracklist, the tree selection indicator remains active--albeit in a different colour. It's possible that the color settings on your system cause the 'non-focused selection' colour to blend in with the tree's background.

-Rusty
Lowlander

subnodes

Post by Lowlander »

Selectable subnode per main node: choose if under artist you want subnode Album, Genre, Year. This should be individually selectable per node. Even better would be that you can do it on the fly while operating MM instead of using the options menu.
Maybe the first subnode under a main node should be the type of subnode (ex. Artist > Genre > Genre Name).
A main node should always display all the tracks available including those in subnodes.

Just some thoughts, just be aware of creating to many levels!!

Urgency: Would be nice

PS. I know this has been discussed in other forums, and even some plans have been formulated, but unfortunately I couldn't find the forum items. That's why I'm posting it here as this is a similar topic.
Lowlander

Genre subnode request

Post by Lowlander »

Under genre I'd like to see subnodes per decennium. This is relevant as styles change over time.

Maybe each main node 'ie. Artist, Album' could have all other main nodes as subnodes 'ie. Artist, Album, Year'. This would add one more subnode but gives invaluable information.
Lowlander

Video & music

Post by Lowlander »

In the explorer tree I would like to see two new main nodes, music and video. Under these would be the nodes artist, title, album, ect, just like in Windows Media Player.
This would nicely seperate audio files from video files. In video files only the fields that video files commonly have could be displayed instead of all fields that are used in audio files.

Under audio files a new subnode type could be created which reflects the different types of files ie. MP3/OGG/ect.
Lowlander

Annoying expand sign

Post by Lowlander »

Well it might be a bug, for every subnode it shows the expand [+] sign even if these are empty. Example under the artist node you got all the artists, all have the expand sign despite the fact that many have no album and thus are not expandable.
mister_rdz

Post by mister_rdz »

Since we're talking about the explorer tree, I think it would be nice if you could resize the window, as in make it larger so you would not have to use the slide bar at the bottom of the page. This would be very nice especially when looking at the Album listing as those titles tend to be long.

Regards,

Dave
Lowlander

Has been requested

Post by Lowlander »

This has been requested before and a solution has been put in place as well in the mean time. If you go with your mouse over the album/title or whatever is to long and a tooltip text will popup showing the full name.

The explorer tree is on the wishlist to be reconstructed and many requests have been made, we'll have to see what the program makers will come up with.
mister_rdz

Post by mister_rdz »

Lowlander,

I realized, after I posted my note, that it had been suggested, but it was too late to do anything. Actually, I was browsing one of your posts and noticed the enhancement summary you compiled ... very thorough!

Regards,

Dave
Lowlander

Thanks

Post by Lowlander »

That's cool, we all post something that has been requested before, such is life on the forums.
As for the wishlist it isn't completed yet, but it's quit a bit of work as I have to go through every wishlist forum topic and read everything to distill the wishes out of it. I haven't finished going through the whole wishlist forum yet. I would still need to go through the other forum topics to find hidden wishes there.
But we'll keep working on it and update it along the way.
Lowlander

Amount of tracks in nodes

Post by Lowlander »

I'd like to see an option to show the amount of tracks in each node & subnode in the node listings in the explorer tree.