I've been looking a long time for the 'perfect' music (and in a minor degree media) - player/manager. I've tried various programs, liking and disliking parts of every one of them. The music player I've been most attracted to has been Mediamonkey for quite a while. I really like this program, but there are still features I miss. With the upcoming release of Mediamonkey 4 I would like to provide my own 5 cents by telling the developers what I like and would like about this mediaplayer.
Feel free to disagree/agree with me about this, it's just a personal opinion. Also, probably those features won't be implemented, but who knows.. Anyway, of we go:
Things I like in mediaplayers (no specific order):
- Old amarok way of showing your library (Currently still seen in Clementine).
- Clementine's integration with online services (automated lyric loading, info about artist, song..) (http://images.clementine-player.org/scr ... -0.7-4.png)
- Clementine's and foobar2000's visual representation of a song playing. Mediamonkey has 1 type (bars moving up/down), those have a lot more (bar/block/boom/sonogram/turbine analyzer in Clementine). I definitely recommend installing Clementine to see the online services integration and the analyzers, they are truly amazing) (http://images.clementine-player.org/scr ... -0.7-4.png)
- Mediamonkey's ability to jump from one song to all songs of this artist in the library by clicking on his name (or genres, year, ..). Also the ability to show that song/artist/... on wikipedia etc ..
- Mediamonkey's extensive optinos (how to organize library, what to do on click, how to play, when to stop playing, fade in/out, how to save songs, how to import them ...)
- Tabbed playlists/views
- Mediamonkey's excellent tagging support
- Ability to skin/change layout. Mediamonkey is decent in this, but a bit lacking (how to reorganize toolbars for example, you can't even "lock" the layout when you are done. Also, moving the playlist, album art, ... won't always move like expected. On the other end you have foobar2000 which overdoes it. I want to listen to music, not spend 2 weeks familiarizing myself with all the source code in order to create an acceptable layout.
- Ability to have more options for your visualization. (Clementine) They also use milk drop, but you can choose which milk is played etc.. It's really nice, check it out. (http://images.clementine-player.org/scr ... -0.4-3.png)
- KMPlayer ability to manipulate playback (equalizer, quick/slow, reverb, echo, remove human speak ... ) (http://www.kmplayer.com/forums/gallery/ ... ilters.png, http://gnrsu.com/gnrsu.com/screenshot/KMPlayer_4.jpg)
I hope you enjoyed reading it, leave your comments about what you like in this/other mediaplayers and pardon me for my english.