When will you port to Linux?

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

skafan00

Re: When will you port to Linux?

Post by skafan00 »

I do not like the direction Microsoft took with Windows 10. I still use Windows 7. However, support stops in about a year... I am moving on to Linux, but could never give up my beloved MediaMonkey!!!! Help! Privacy vs. MediaMonkey what a quandary.
German Fan

Post by German Fan »

For me the same: I left Windows because I don't want to use Windows 10. Now I use Linux Mint. I'm an absolute beginner with Linux, so I didn't get run MM with Wine etc. successfully.
My Question is: Is there a date when MM will be available for Linux? Or have I familiarise myself with an other program? (You promise MM on Linux for years!)

PS: I would pay for another (Linux) Lifetime License, too!! Of course!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

There is no date, not even for MediaMonkey 5 on Windows. Unfortunately it will be ready when it's ready.
speedykoala

Post by speedykoala »

Hello there! I'm also waiting for the linux version! I'm willing to buy MM again! :-)
jcfogerty

Post by jcfogerty »

I can run MM4 in a VirtualBox VM within Arch. But, I use Audacious to listen to my playlists (while silently playing the same playlist on my Android phone with the MM app to capture lastplayed times).

For those using Linux with KDE, you could try my new C++/Qt5 app, ArchSimian. It is a sophisticated playlist creator, and I would love folks to beta test it to find any serious bugs. It is working on my Arch Linux PC now, and it is great for getting outstanding playlists out of my large library. I created this because even nested smart playlists were not giving me the variety and song order I was looking for.

Features are:

• Obtains music tag data and other data stored within the MM.DB file to create a new database for
this application
• Using the database created, and statistics compiled from it, uses the data as constraints to
determine ‘optimum availability’ then iteratively select each single track added to the chosen
playlist
• Saves user preferences, such as file locations for MM4 backup database, MM4 backup playlists
and Archsimian program/playlist preferences
• Obtains or calculates variables for calculating the track selected to add to the playlist:
▪ user’s listening rate (for total tracks needed to be added to the current playlist)
▪ song rating (to determine frequency played)
▪ days since last played (to use with rating)
▪ how many tracks ago was the last appearance of an artist (to avoid repeat artists)
▪ total number of rated tracks of an artist (statistic)
▪ total number of each rating category in the library (statistic)
▪ total number of each rating category by artist (statistic)
▪ last album played for a given artist

Here is the link to the program hosted on Github where you can learn more:

https://github.com/Harpo3/archsimian
colin_e

Post by colin_e »

Vote up
Regards: Colin
PotamePierre

Post by PotamePierre »

One more up-vote.

Like the original poster and the first commenter, I'm also migrating from Windows to Linux. (I'm still too much of a Linux noob to solve problems I ran into with Manjaro, so Arch and its derivatives are off the table for at least a couple/few years. In the meantime, I'm running Linux Mint Cinnamon and Kubuntu.)
Stormdancer

Post by Stormdancer »

Yet another person driven away from windows. Media Monkey is one of the few reasons I ever boot into windows anymore. The market's there. I bought a gold lifetime for windows, I'd probably do it again for linux.
Stormdancer

Post by Stormdancer »

Yet another voice in the chorus of "MM is one of the only reasons I boot into Windows". I bought the gold license because the program handles large libraries with extensive tagging, and I've invested a huge amount of time there.

VERY much looking forward to the linux release. I'll happily buy gold for 5, when that happens. Presuming, of course, that there's a migration tool, which I fully expect there will be.
Waghead

Post by Waghead »

Just want to add my voice to the chorus--I want to leave Windows altogether but I can't part with my beloved MediaMonkey! I'll buy it right out of the chute!
sellswor

Post by sellswor »

This topic has been around for at least 8 years. Obviously the music management and synchronization issues in Linux still haven't been addressed for many of us. I've seen responses that Media Monkey 5 for Windows "will be ready when it's ready" and then Linux may get some attention. That's not a very satisfying or helpful response after 8 years. Guess I'll just add to the list of Media Monkey fans who wish it (or something like it) was on Linux.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
MediaMonkey Server development has already started. Even better it is open source. See https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=31

For MediaMonkey client users (Windows only ATM), you still still needs to be patient as if we all want same experience on any platform then it needs to be finished product on at least one. MM5 is getting stable by day so Linux/MAC client is much closer now.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
talentix

Post by talentix »

Dear MM-Team,

after MS becomes more and more intrusive and annoying and spying and interfering the last months, I have decided to totally get rid of Windows and of all MS products. Of course the other spying and heavily interferring company Apple is not alternative.

I take care of the PCs of several friends and on 4 PCs I already have made a complete migration to Kubuntu Linux. Currently I am working on the migration of my own PC to Arch Linux. This will be completed during May 2020.

Me and all of them have been very happy with MM. But to my great regret MM is not available natively for Linux and from May on I will have to use an alternative music player program. As many former Windows user say, they would be willing to pay for a Linux version like I did for the Gold version of MM.

MS has reduced the Windows-team significantly, because they make more profit with its cloud services. This has caused W10 to decrease in quality significantly. On many PCs the Windows Updates fail to update and MS has no fix, but telling the users to completely reinstall the PC. And if the updates still work, many users like me experience that MS rests my privacy settings and many more customization to enable their spying and enforces the installation of apps that I do not want, during its updates w/o asking the users. This respectless behaviour upsets me so much that I will avoid any MS products ans services in the future. And I encourage and support many people in doing so.

Linux is much simpler to install and to work with today than some years ago. The degrading quality of Windows and the behavior of MS will push many more users to switch to Linux in the next years.

So MM would be wise to release MM for Linux too.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Jailr76

Post by Jailr76 »

Yes!! PLEASE get MM on Linux ASAP!!!!