When will you port to Linux?

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

nohitter151

Re: When will you port to Linux?

Post by nohitter151 »

laniciffo wrote:The roadmap page displays a release schedule of June 30th 2015 for version 5
http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/roadmap_page.php

but I can not see anything about Linux nor any multi platform information...
That's why I said rumor. But search for "cross-platform" in the bug tracker, you will see it mentioned several times. Also a big tip is that they are changing the skinning platform they use to a totally different format. again see http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=12129 and http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view. ... 128#c40489
on2u wrote:
Clearly it's still in development
What is in development?
Version 5.0
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
on2u

Post by on2u »

Version 5% for the last 9 months.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Hmmmmm, I do not know what the fuzz is about I already use MM5.

Just kidding, but i really can start MM5. More info will be officially be published when things gets ready for public.

Sorry folks, but no rumors here:
1. Port as much of code as possible to support future multi-platform releases
2. Try not to sacrifice any of existing features and add new exclusive ones that are only been possible in multi platform environment

Lastly, but most importantly, optimize our 14 year code to speed and functionality to handle things fast on 150k+ libraries like it was designed to handle 10k+ 14 years ago.

Please do not forget that you look on MM multi-platform like it is easy and compare it to mature product that MMW currently is. Instead of completely new and rewritten product with burden of existing one and quality to be achived.

If someone think I'm not reasonable keep in mind that Microsoft took 8 years to transition from XP to Windows 7
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Peke wrote:Hi,
Hmmmmm, I do not know what the fuzz is about I already use MM5.

Just kidding, but i really can start MM5. More info will be officially be published when things gets ready for public.

Sorry folks, but no rumors here:
1. Port as much of code as possible to support future multi-platform releases
2. Try not to sacrifice any of existing features and add new exclusive ones that are only been possible in multi platform environment

Lastly, but most importantly, optimize our 14 year code to speed and functionality to handle things fast on 150k+ libraries like it was designed to handle 10k+ 14 years ago.

Please do not forget that you look on MM multi-platform like it is easy and compare it to mature product that MMW currently is. Instead of completely new and rewritten product with burden of existing one and quality to be achived.

If someone think I'm not reasonable keep in mind that Microsoft took 8 years to transition from XP to Windows 7
Perfectly reasonable when the real task is not to just update the existing with some features but build a framework that can continue to go into the future. Not an easy or quick task if you want to bring your users along.
Really look forward to more information as you guys can give it out (safely)
Thanks
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Peke wrote:Lastly, but most importantly, optimize our 14 year code to speed and functionality to handle things fast on 150k+ libraries like it was designed to handle 10k+ 14 years ago.
Sounds like it could be amazing. It's pretty quick now but could definitely use a boost in speed with larger collections.
Peke wrote:If someone think I'm not reasonable keep in mind that Microsoft took 8 years to transition from XP to Windows 7
Go Peke Go, with your bad self !! 8)
I'm just hoping to see something by another year. :wink:
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
Finsternis

Post by Finsternis »

Peke wrote:Please do not forget that you look on MM multi-platform like it is easy and compare it to mature product that MMW currently is. Instead of completely new and rewritten product with burden of existing one and quality to be achived.
Hi Peke - your response is perfectly understandable, my only real question is, since you have an Android version, could a Linux version still be that far away?

I've been a developer and understand that this takes work, but I think there is quite a big untapped market out there since there's a lot of overlap between the sets "serious muisc geeks" and "linux geeks". There just is nothing nearly as good available for Linux. Usually we can use Wine to get around that, but in this case there are issues.

I'd pay $50 for a Linux version, Hell, I'd probably pay more.

Finally, if not a full port, could you possible consider working with the community to maybe just fix smaller stuff so it works well under Wine? Fixing a few incompatibilities shouldn't be nearly as hard as making a whole new version, I think. I'd be happy to beta test. The first and biggest thing I think we'd need would be an easy way to export and import our databases with the ability to change file locations in between (from "C:\data\music" to "/home/user/music") and of course the ability of MM to recognize that filename format.

Thanks!
amudman

Post by amudman »

MediaMonkey on Linux will be a major event. I am 73 yrs and want to abandon windows completely so hurry up, por favor. I need my music. MM is such a friend. The folks at windows have invented the perfect incentive for leaving windows (win 8 & win 10), but I need MM. I'll pay, but make it easy to install. Please hurry. Thank all of you folks for the really fine work.
chuck
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

The way I see it, the code for MM5 is being used as a model for future multi-platform implementation.
So, I wouldn't expect anything until after MM5 is released. .......and not necessarily soon after either.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
Oukami

Post by Oukami »

Just to add my two cents worth, I like MM heaps and would have coughed up for an upgrade quite cheerfully, a long time ago.
Except that I have long intended to tell Mr Gates just where he can stick his OS. I knew MM was not available for Linux. Have dabbled with Linux before in a half hearted way, but having just bought a grunty new laptop and encountering win10 with all its strings & conditions, I decided enough is enough.
Mr Grunty is now running on Mint 18. MM is still running on the desktop & notebook as we speak but as soon as I have got all set the way I want it, Mint 18 will be installed on them too.
Considered a dual boot but decided against it. I will miss MM but a small price to pay to be MS-free
Peke

Post by Peke »

MM5 is on way with that, Althru it will be available in Windows and MAC at first.
Best regards,
Peke
Bob_m_54

Post by Bob_m_54 »

Peke wrote:MM5 is on way with that, Althru it will be available in Windows and MAC at first.
Does this mean we live in hope? :D
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Eventually yes, we also live in same hope.
Best regards,
Peke
jcfogerty

Post by jcfogerty »

Peke wrote:Hi,
Eventually yes, we also live in same hope.
This is great news. MM is one of the only things left keeping me on Windows. Godspeed.
DonnyQ

Post by DonnyQ »

Like those who have posted above (and the thousands, if not millions, who have not), I'm anxiously awaiting the day when I can dump Windows & Microsoft completely. And the reality is (a business reality, mind you) we're within spitting distance. User friendly and high performance *desktop* distributions are no longer a dream - they're here. Ubuntu, OpenSuse Leap, and so many others - a chacun son gout. And while I prefer FOSS, and would gladly donate should MM take the plunge - any availability would be welcome.
Lana

Post by Lana »

Yes I want make a Donation for a Linux :) Edition too. Only for the Developing! :D
The Pro Version-Key, I will buy seperately. 8)
Or make a crowdfunding, please. I think, you can calculate a maximum of finance you need to do this.

Greetings from Lana :wink:

(Schade das im Forum keine Unicode Zeichen funktionieren, oder ich weiß nicht wie...)