When will you port to Linux?

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

edvonrichtoven

When will you port to Linux?

Post by edvonrichtoven »

I am using Debian Linux and have been a fan of it for years...runs like a brick house...and have recently formatted Win 7 Pro into oblivion. With that went my copy of MM Gold.
I can't believe after all these years that you don't have a desire to port it to Linux....my experiences with Wine have been uniformly horrible so I won't bother screwing my O/S up with it.
It doesn't take much to port it to Linux....is this in MM's future?
Lowlander

Re: When will you port to Linux?

Post by Lowlander »

It's a lot of work to port MediaMonkey and work has began on making the code more multi-platform friendly. You can imagine that Windows users wouldn't be too happy if significant resources would be lost on this endeavour so it needs to be balanced between updating MediaMonkey with new features as well as working on a port.

See: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ticleid=32
ubsegln

Post by ubsegln »

Lowlander wrote:It's a lot of work to port MediaMonkey and work has began on making the code more multi-platform friendly. You can imagine that Windows users wouldn't be too happy if significant resources would be lost on this endeavour so it needs to be balanced between updating MediaMonkey with new features as well as working on a port.

:D thanks for beginning to work mm on a cross-platform. :D

a year ago I changed to linux and I tried many linux players. there is no player like mm. the best for me is 'Guayadeque' (http://sourceforge.net/projects/guayadeque/). there are some informations of mm Guayadeque can use. for example ratings are nearly correct and covers saved within the mp3 files are shown in Guayadeque, also lyrics and comments saved within the files. but there are not so many data items in Guayadeque.

however Guayadeque allows to launch external programs with parameters. so often the missing functions can be replaced.

for example easymp3gain is a small freeware to normalize or change volume of mp3 files. if easymp3gain is installed go to Guayadeque, change to view/ preferences/ commands. put in the command 'easymp3gain {tp} (tp=trackpath, there are help lines). now you can change volume of all marked files in Guayadeque by selecting 'right-mouse-click' /commands/easymp3gain. easymp3gain works lossless!

mm don't works well in wine, mm4 don't remember window positions and arrangements within mm, sometimes mm plays songs to fast, there are many sound dropouts and so on. I use ubuntu (debian) with gnome.

dont't wait to long to port mm. mybe some people don't like to change to a linux player and then go back to mm if it is ported after a long time.

lovely greetings, segln lake constance, germany.
millerjohn

Post by millerjohn »

Another reason not wait to long to port mediamonkey to other platforms is the cloud. More and more people save their songs in the cloud. There are more and more offers to do that. So, don't wait to long !!
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

i'm sure i'm like most others with collections of songs. i'd rather not put my files online storage with out having them on my computer, because when the web goes down how you going to get your songs or files?? so there will be a need for desktop mediamonkey for a long time yet. unless they muck it up so bad everyone decides to go away? but i'm not i just keep the best working version for my system and keep trying the new versions untill it works again. but still only other player with half the stuff of mm is winamp and i keep that too. just not using it anymore but once something finds a home here it doesn't get tossed out very easy. :D
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
franklinsadams

Post by franklinsadams »

Lowlander wrote:It's a lot of work to port MediaMonkey and work has began on making the code more multi-platform friendly. You can imagine that Windows users wouldn't be too happy if significant resources would be lost on this endeavour so it needs to be balanced between updating MediaMonkey with new features as well as working on a port.

tnx for this admin... will see it through..
educatedwarrior

Post by educatedwarrior »

this thread is close to 3 years old. Any progress on this? MediaMonkey on Linux would be THE BOMB!!!
Finsternis

Post by Finsternis »

educatedwarrior wrote:this thread is close to 3 years old. Any progress on this? MediaMonkey on Linux would be THE BOMB!!!
Yes, and I see they are pointedly ignoring this yet again. The answer in the MM FAQ about Linux says they have "started development on a cross-platform version" but makes no promises about release date. At least they were honest, since the date on that FAQ answer is seven years old. Apparently that work is going very slowly.

Come on, folks. Maybe seven years ago this "no linux version" stuff was acceptable, but not now - especially since you now have an Android version! (thanks for that). Please join the rest of the world with fully supporting Linux.

For the pointy-haired types, I note that you could make a ton of money on this since there is nothing anywhere near as powerful available for Linux now, so you could corner the market on "Linux people who are serious music collectors." I would pay well for a Linux version (hint, hint!).
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Finsternis wrote:
educatedwarrior wrote:this thread is close to 3 years old. Any progress on this? MediaMonkey on Linux would be THE BOMB!!!
Yes, and I see they are pointedly ignoring this yet again. The answer in the MM FAQ about Linux says they have "started development on a cross-platform version" but makes no promises about release date. At least they were honest, since the date on that FAQ answer is seven years old. Apparently that work is going very slowly.

Come on, folks. Maybe seven years ago this "no linux version" stuff was acceptable, but not now - especially since you now have an Android version! (thanks for that). Please join the rest of the world with fully supporting Linux.

For the pointy-haired types, I note that you could make a ton of money on this since there is nothing anywhere near as powerful available for Linux now, so you could corner the market on "Linux people who are serious music collectors." I would pay well for a Linux version (hint, hint!).
Rumor is that MediaMonkey 5 will be cross-platform
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
on2u

Post by on2u »

MediaMonkey 5 is a rumour.
on2u

Post by on2u »

All talk and no walk.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

on2u wrote:All talk and no walk.
Not sure what this is supposed to mean exactly. Clearly it's still in development.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
laniciffo

Post by laniciffo »

The roadmap page displays a release schedule of June 30th 2015 for version 5
http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/roadmap_page.php

but I can not see anything about Linux nor any multi platform information...

I could not make MM+wine work so at the moment I use Clementine instead, but it's nowhere as powerful as MM.

I would happily pay again for a Linux version of MM.
on2u

Post by on2u »

Clearly it's still in development
What is in development?