Subscribe to YouTube RSS as Podcast [#11352]

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

krikkrac

Subscribe to YouTube RSS as Podcast [#11352]

Post by krikkrac »

I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to get MMW to download youtube podcasts. I am able to subscribe to youtube channels as RSS feeds using the program Miro. I would much prefer to use MM, however when I try using the same youtube rss link that worked on Miro on mediamonkey I get nothing. Has anyone been able to do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Last edited by Lowlander on Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Moved to correct Forum
Lowlander

Re: Subscribe to YouTube RSS as Podcast

Post by Lowlander »

Doubt the RSS feeds are proper Podcast feeds. It doesn't seem to work, added: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=11352

Re: Subscribe to YouTube RSS as Podcast [#11352]

Post by Guest »

Although the problem of downloading Youtube videos is technologically solvable, Google (and youtube) ask that you not do it, including terms in the user agreement. They normally and systematically exclude applications that perform youtube downloads from their services (Google Play). They also frequently change the interface in ways that break existing apps.

They've never sued anyone, but personally, I wouldn't try it if I were MediaMonkey.

On the other hand: there are open source applications that convert YouTube playlists into RSS files served from your own computer (with the video source being Youtube's servers). MediaMonkey can then be pointed to that, and won't know the difference. The open source project then becomes responsible for keeping up with Google's changes, and MediaMonkey will never know the difference.

Another solution, if your goal is to watch the videos on an Android, is to get "Youtube Downloader" from Sourceforge, http://sourceforge.net/projects/ytdownloader/. Since it accesses Youtube it can't be put on the Android market; but because it's open source there's some assurance that it's not bad software, so installing it is perhaps intuitively not as frightening as it would otherwise be. It also automatically updates itself (asking your permission whenever it's about to do so). There are other choices, but they are not open source, usually annoyingly ad-supported as well.
wtanksleyjr

Re: Subscribe to YouTube RSS as Podcast [#11352]

Post by wtanksleyjr »

Sorry, the above was from me.