Have two Playists open at the same time.

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

MZmuda

Have two Playists open at the same time.

Post by MZmuda »

I'd like to be able to browse music, have a playlist open, and be listening to music at the same time. Specifically, I'd like to be able to program a playlist with music I find while browsing my library. If I come across a song that I don't know what it is, I'd like to be able to play it. If I like it, I'd like to be able to drag and drop it onto the playlist I have open.

Is there any way you can do that? Can that be done now?

Thanks -

- Z
Lowlander

Re: Have two Playists open at the same time.

Post by Lowlander »

That's what the Now Playing window is for, it's separate from what you're viewing in the Filelisting and you can D&D files onto it. You can also use multiple tabs.
MZmuda

Post by MZmuda »

I seem to be having a problem then. Whenever I double-click a track to listen to it (let's call this "previewing" a track,) it knocks out everything in the "Now Playing" window, so, that's not a viable option for me.

Likewise, dragging and dropping a track onto another tab (ie: where the playlist that I'm editing is open in,) just adds my song to the end of that list, whereas, ideally, I should be able to thoughtfully place that track somewhere, maybe between two other tracks, and not at the end. Sure, I could add it later, but this seems like a simple usability thing that's lacking, which is why I'm bringing it up.

If it helps, think about having to come up with 3 or 4 different playlists: one for a club, one for a children's birthday party, another for a work-place setting, and another for your workout. You only want to traverse your library ONCE, listening to songs you may have forgotten along the way, and drag and drop them to any of those four playlists you feel appropriate.

- Z
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

MZmuda wrote:I seem to be having a problem then. Whenever I double-click a track to listen to it (let's call this "previewing" a track,) it knocks out everything in the "Now Playing" window, so, that's not a viable option for me.
Double-click action can be changed at Options > Playback rules
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
MZmuda

Post by MZmuda »

OMG!!!

NoHitter - BINGO!!!

That was **KILLING** ME! Ok. I turned that feature off, and so at least I can work that. (If I play a track that doesn't work, I can always just remove it from the playlist, and, once I'm done, I can save the playlist for future use. But that last feature was the absolute WORST!)

Thanks for pointing it out to me.

Have a great weekend!

- Z
macmcd

Post by macmcd »

Just jumping onto the back of this one. Would it be possible to have a separate 'Playlist' window akin to the 'Now Playing' window. I tend to trawl through tracks playing them to see which ones to add to a playlist. At the moment I have to remember to save the tracks to the playlist from the 'Now Playing' window before listening to the next track. I then have to reload the playlist in order to add the track at the position I want. Quite often I forget to save and have to redo the playlist (my advancing age probably). Although I also right click and "Send to" the playlist this obviously only adds the track to the end.

If there was a separate 'Playlist' window that you could drag and drop tracks to as well as load and save playlists, building playlists would be much more efficient and elegant.

Thanks.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can drag & drop files onto tabs to have them added. You'll need to sort afterwards though.
macmcd

Post by macmcd »

Which is just the same as 'Send to' playlist. I would prefer a window that you can drag and drop files into the right place in a playlist as in the 'Now Playing' window without the risk of losing your work when you play a track from the main window. Just a suggestion for the wishlist.
macmcd

Post by macmcd »

I'll take that as a no then.
MikeGahrns

Allow Playlists to open in seperate windows and drag and drop between them

Post by MikeGahrns »

I spend a lot of time composing playlists and trying to organize songs that I think will flow nicely together.

It would be awesome to have several playlists open along with search results windows so that I could easily play and sample songs and then drag and drop them amongst the various playlists I am working on. I know you can have multiple tabs open, each displaying the contents of a playlist, but they are not visible at the same time. While it is possible to drag and drop a song from one playlist tab to another, the song is only appended to the end of the destination playlist and you can not drop it at a specific location.

I have seen this request before a couple of times, like in this thread:
https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... st#p395844

You can drag a song from a playlist and drop it into a specific location in the now playing window. It would be great if you could also do this into a playlist that was displayed in its own seperate floating window. Like macmcd in the above thread mentions, dragging and dropping into the now playing window, and then resaving the playlist has a lot of usability problems.

I thought an easy way to implement this might be to add an option in the media tree where the playlists are listed, that you could right click and select to have the playlist into its own seperate floating window. (Like the "Now Playing" window is). You could then right click and have multiple playlists open and visible at once, and drag and drop songs between them. It would also be great to have search results appear in their own seperate floating window. I often would like to have several searches ongoing where I am looking for the appropriate song I want to add into a playlist, and having multiple search results windows open where I can see all possible candidates, sample them, and then drag the song I chose to the appropriate place in one of many playlists I am working on would be heaven.

Barring the above, another approach that I thought might have promise and would be easy to implement would be to have multiple instances of MM running. You can do this now, but unfortunately you can not drag a song from a playlist in one MM instance playlist tab to another MM instance playlist tab. I see that Zev opened a bug back in 2013 to allow being able to drag and drop songs between playlists in MM instances. It is still open, but have been updated or had any comments added to it in 7 years. Is this something that would be easy for MM developers to implement?

Bug: ventismediaXXX/mantis/view.php?id=11526 (altered URL, since it wouldn't allow me to post a url external to this domain)

thx