Disabling "Infer file properties" loads an empty Title

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Ceraus

Disabling "Infer file properties" loads an empty Title

Post by Ceraus »

In my experience, inferred file properties (for non-tagged files) are always wrong. Some inappropriate data is inferred as Artist, leaving the Title incomplete. I always have to correct this manually.

I would like to disable "Infer file prooperties", but then the result is worse: no information is shown at all. I would expect the Title to show the file name, but instead everything is empty.
rivorson

Re: Disabling "Infer file properties" loads an empty Title

Post by rivorson »

Ceraus wrote:I would expect the Title to show the file name
That would be inferring the Title property from the filename, which would be exactly what you have disabled.

The best option for your case would probably be to disable inferring properties from filename and running Auto Tag from Filename after you import tracks.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, if Infer File Properties is enabled MediaMonkey will no longer fill tags from filename. Thus if they're empty they'll show empty.

As Riverson said, use Tools > Auto-Tag from Filename. It does the same as Infer File Properties, but you configure it and tell it how to interpret your folder/filenames: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... lename/4.0
Ceraus

Post by Ceraus »

Thank you both for your tips; using Auto-Tag does save a lot of trouble.

I wish "infer properties" was as malleable...
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Ceraus wrote:I wish "infer properties" was as malleable
That is Auto-Tag from Filename.

Infer Properties auto-guesses. You could dig into the ini to modify the guesses (there are some old topics on this), but it would still guess.