Auto-lyrics stopped working?

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

rvonder

Auto-lyrics stopped working?

Post by rvonder »

Using the latest beta build (and likely in several earlier builds as well?), MM no longer automatically adds lyrics into the tag when a track is selected. Reviewing my MM settings, I see nothing out of place - plus, it's always worked fine in the past. (A related "just curious" question: What source does MM use for automatic lyrics updating?)

Probably unrelated, but I've also been having problems with the Lyricator plug-in. When it works properly, the color-coded names of the selected lyrics sites instantly appear at the top of Lyricator's white dialog window; a status message shows the site currently being checked; and you can see Lyricator quickly working its way down through the list of selected tracks. Unfortunately, it only works intermittently. Most of the time, I simply get a spinning blue "working" indicator above the top left of the Lyricator panel. Nothing further happens, and I have to manually cancel the process. (I mention it here only because it's another lyrics issue, though most likely unrelated to auto-lyrics not working?)

I do know that the problems have nothing to do with my internet, router, or firewall. I have a solid 150/150 Mbps FiOS connection, no firewall blocks, and can access every lyrics site through a browser without issues.

Thanks!
Lowlander

Re: Auto-lyrics stopped working?

Post by Lowlander »

It's working here.

Make sure that the Art & Details window is set to show Lyrics and that is set to Selected tab as you're saying it fails for selected file. Only when these conditions are met will lookup happen.
rvonder

Post by rvonder »

Thanks, that did the trick!

Awhile back, I installed the 'Lyrics and Comments Viewer' add-on and positioned it directly above the Art & Details window to give me a larger dedicated display of both the Lyrics and Comments fields. (I use Comments for album/artist info, and it coincidentally seems to be the only field you can't display in Art & Details?) I also didn't like how Art & Details overlays any selected text fields over the top of the artwork, and dims the artwork so much that it becomes almost invisible. Using the Lyrics and Comments Viewer, text became redundant in Art & Details, so I was able to turn it all off and regain a clear view of the artwork.

I never knew (or expected!) that auto-updating of lyrics would depend on having them displayed in Art & Details. Auto-update of the Lyrics tag is a great feature that I rely on during tagging of an album, but it's totally separate from what I might choose to display during playback. It would sure be nice if auto-lookup could be activated without being required to redundantly show lyrics in Art & Details. Is it possible to remove this dependency between what seem to be two independent features?
iggypop

Post by iggypop »

I am trying to understand the nuances of auto looking up the missing lyrics

I don't have Gold so I assumed it did not work with standard, but I can individually click on Lookup Lyrics in the Art&Details tab and it gets added to my ID3 tag (when I play next song I have to click the button again). Similarly I can add from Properties/Lyrics tab by clicking on the lyrics icon next to the text box. This does not work if I select all tracks which would be great. Is this different in Gold (do all lyrics get added by MM automatically?)

What database and lyrics engine is MM using?

I tried using DarkLyrics addon and adding all 5 search engines there but I never get hits. Is there a better plugin for me to try?

Finally, how about synchronized lyrics, or saving .lrc file automatically from the Internet. That would be great on my Rockbox iPod.

Thanks!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If enabled under Tools > Options > Metadata Lookup the Lyrics get found automatically when a song is playing (Art & Details on Now Playing tab) or when selecting (Art & Details on Selected tab), AND Lyrics are enabled to be displayed in the Art & Details window.
iggypop

Post by iggypop »

Sorry just now noticing you reply

I get that is how it works, but I am trying to have lyrics automatically populated not one by one (large db of songs). I implemented screen scraper and mouse auto click program to do it but the problem is not all the lyrics are found.

What database can I add to customize and improve on this

Any chance to get lrc lyrics so the time stamps would be added for each line so it would scroll with the song? (rockbox ipod feature)

Thanks
Igor
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You will need to program any other sources (through Addon Scripting).
J Grant

Post by J Grant »

What I have done to get MM to fill in lyrics for a large number of songs is this.
Add all of the songs that need lyrics added to your Now Playing list.
Select the first song, change the view to see the lyrics to Now Playing, instead of Selected.
In the Play menu select Song Previewer, enable preview mode, and set the End1 time to 2. You can make it 1 but I've had better results with 2, or even 5 seconds.
This should start playing the first 2 seconds for every song in the Now Playing list, which will prompt MM to search for missing lyrics.

It isn't exactly automatic, and will take some time, 5000 songs should take less than 2 1/2 hours, but it's a lot faster than doing it by hand, one by one.
Theophilus Thistle

Post by Theophilus Thistle »

Hi,

I'm a new MM Gold subscriber. Is there a step-by-step tutorial anywhere on how I can view lyrics for songs? Either individually or in groups?

Thanks for any help.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Edit > Properties > Lyrics, or as a field in the File Listing or in the Art & Details windows (right click > Choose Fields to enable).