MM4 still supported?

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

DocMAX

MM4 still supported?

Post by DocMAX »

Will MM4 still be supported although MM5 is out?
(I like MM4 better as it is more leightweigt and faster than MM5.)
Peke

Re: MM4 still supported?

Post by Peke »

Hi,
RE MM4: MM4 is in maintenance only mode for now, which means that if there is any serious functionality/security issue that MM5 do not already addressed we will consider releasing another build.

RE MM5: In what aspects MM5 is slower, our test shown that MM5 is on par with MM4 and in most cases even faster than MM4

NOTE: MM5 was compared with MM4, without MM5 improvements and extended support eg. feature by feature.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
DocMAX

Post by DocMAX »

The refresh of the MM5 UI is noticable slower on slower computers, meaning windows need a bit longer to build with all fancy chromium skin stuff. It can be seen with WINE on Linux. (In my case a virtual machine on an older Intel i5-2520M CPU)

Please do me a favour and support MM4 as long as possible or create a MM5 "light" version, which uses the standard windows library for UI.
Bullit420

Post by Bullit420 »

DocMAX wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:24 am The refresh of the MM5 UI is noticable slower on slower computers, meaning windows need a bit longer to build with all fancy chromium skin stuff. It can be seen with WINE on Linux. (In my case a virtual machine on an older Intel i5-2520M CPU)

Please do me a favour and support MM4 as long as possible or create a MM5 "light" version, which uses the standard windows library for UI.
I wish there was an "upvote" feature when someone posts a comment on the forum. Although I like MM5, the missing third-party plugins (Discogs tagger) are keeping me from using the latest version.
Bullitt420 (MediaMonkey user since 2009)
Peke

Post by Peke »

DocMAX wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:24 am windows need a bit longer to build with all fancy chromium skin stuff
Unfortunately that is true, especially in WINE because Chromium exists on Linux as native app and they do not care to optimize it for VM. Intel i5-2520M is very very old CPU and if you use Integrated GPU it really lacks speed by today standards.
Bullit420 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:35 pm I wish there was an "upvote" feature when someone posts a comment on the forum. Although I like MM5, the missing third-party plugins (Discogs tagger) are keeping me from using the latest version.
Unfortunately only Authors are responsible for compatibility, First public Aplha of MM5 was released 6 years ago. Some scripts have alternatives, some are ported by us (with permission), some even we wanted to port authors did not wanted that.
Best regards,
Peke
Bullit420

Post by Bullit420 »

Peke wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:34 pm
DocMAX wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:24 am windows need a bit longer to build with all fancy chromium skin stuff
Unfortunately that is true, especially in WINE because Chromium exists on Linux as native app and they do not care to optimize it for VM. Intel i5-2520M is very very old CPU and if you use Integrated GPU it really lacks speed by today standards.
Bullit420 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:35 pm I wish there was an "upvote" feature when someone posts a comment on the forum. Although I like MM5, the missing third-party plugins (Discogs tagger) are keeping me from using the latest version.
Unfortunately only Authors are responsible for compatibility, First public Aplha of MM5 was released 6 years ago. Some scripts have alternatives, some are ported by us (with permission), some even we wanted to port authors did not wanted that.
That must be frustrating when users complain about missing scripts/addons and your hands are tied. Are there other options available that can be used to obtain more album/CD details when "Auto-Tag from Web" is selected?
Bullitt420 (MediaMonkey user since 2009)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No, MediaMonkey provides from a single source and additional sources are provided via Third Party Addons. In MediaMonkey 5 the build in lookip is working, while in MediaMonkey 4 this is no longer working.
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

DocMAX wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:24 am Please do me a favour and support MM4 as long as possible or create a MM5 "light" version, which uses the standard windows library for UI.
Hi,
Unfortunately, something like that would not be possible, as switching back to using a native library for UI would require yet another rewrite of most of the codebase. However, you don't need to give up on hope just yet. While developing MM5, the focus was primarily on building the framework and getting everything to function; and performance optimizations weren't the highest priority. Now that MM5 is beginning to mature, we now have the opportunity to improve its performance by fixing lots of little issues. 5.0.2 will already have a small handful of such performance fixes, and there will be more moving forward.
DocMAX wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:24 am The refresh of the MM5 UI is noticable slower on slower computers, meaning windows need a bit longer to build with all fancy chromium skin stuff. It can be seen with WINE on Linux. (In my case a virtual machine on an older Intel i5-2520M CPU)
I had tried running MM5 on WINE, without much luck (the UI was very glitchy for me). It seemed to me like Chromium doesn't like being run on WINE (which nominally isn't an issue, because it's cross platform). Were you able to get it running without any visual glitches?
Either way, the long-term plan is to bring it natively to Linux; but I can't provide any time estimate for when that'll occur. (But just know that it is on my personal wishlist.)
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
Lankylad

Post by Lankylad »

Hello!
Does anyone have an up-to-date download address for that most current version of MM4?

I have not seen any new version of MM5 for ages now and still think that its still got many faults which were not an issue on MM4. Until its a bit more complete for the sake of my stress levels I think I would rather return to MM4.

Thanks in advance
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Please see: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... diamonkey/

And MediaMonkey 5 is continually being developed: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86639
Friedrich

Post by Friedrich »

With wine I always had to use MM4-non-skinned. Worked and certainly preferred over anything native Linux apps have to offer so far, unfortunately -,but it was visually lacking and a bit awkward.
MM5 2433 runs flawless here. It seems to depend on the wine version:
viewtopic.php?p=490171#p490171
Please do me a favour and support MM4 as long as possible
Still in use (win10) here too, together with MM5. Can't be without it (yet); particularly due to some essential add-ons.
As long as it runs as well as now, -for my use cases, of course; that might be different for others-,
I am not worried.
MM5 (2606)and MM4 (1919) installed and running well on:
Debian 11 KDE, EndeavourOS KDE (wine 7.4 via playonlinux), Win10 64bit
Lankylad

Post by Lankylad »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:36 pm Please see: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... diamonkey/

And MediaMonkey 5 is continually being developed: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86639
Many thanks Lowlander
rwheaton1

Post by rwheaton1 »

Friedrich wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:23 pm
With wine I always had to use MM4-non-skinned. Worked and certainly preferred over anything native Linux apps have to offer so far, unfortunately -,but it was visually lacking and a bit awkward.
MM5 2433 runs flawless here. It seems to depend on the wine version:
viewtopic.php?p=490171#p490171
Please do me a favour and support MM4 as long as possible
Still in use (win10) here too, together with MM5. Can't be without it (yet); particularly due to some essential add-ons.
As long as it runs as well as now, -for my use cases, of course; that might be different for others-,
I am not worried.
I think MM4 needs to be supported for updates since Windows 11 is out. Please make sure it is fully functional for Windows 11 since I do not use MM5. MM5 is no where close to being fully functional like MM4!
Windows 11 Pro / 23H2
OS Build 22631.3085
MM4 Version 4.1.31.1919
Discogs Tagger 5.84
MM Codec Pack 2.3.0.108
PUID Generator 2.5
Melon Aero Skin for MM4 1.3.1
Lyricator 1.5.5
Genre Picker 1.2
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
rwheaton1 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:33 pm MM5 is no where close to being fully functional like MM4!
Can you please be more specific on what things you actually missing in MM5 that you have in MM4. Please exclude addons (but list them) as many many features of MM4 are reorganized/joined into one feature/dialog to make things easier and available to many more users that struggled to find things taht they need?
Best regards,
Peke
rwheaton1

Post by rwheaton1 »

Where shall I begin? So much that is so messed up with MM5:

When you go to AutoTag I should see a window that allows me to select which albums are available to select (e.g. by Catalog), instead we get a window that only shows the changes (which has far fewer fields than MM4) and trying to decide which album is the correct one is now gone! Plus all the options for what we could save.

No Discogs

MM5 removes my disc numbers

MM5 does not pad track and disc numbers--which drives me absolutely mad!

Now I understand trying to make the UI more user friendly but "dumbing" it down has eliminated choices. Also, why is this program still 32 bit?
Windows 11 Pro / 23H2
OS Build 22631.3085
MM4 Version 4.1.31.1919
Discogs Tagger 5.84
MM Codec Pack 2.3.0.108
PUID Generator 2.5
Melon Aero Skin for MM4 1.3.1
Lyricator 1.5.5
Genre Picker 1.2