Beta 5: Volume "levelling"

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

mikeryan

Beta 5: Volume "levelling"

Post by mikeryan »

Volume leveling is seriously broken. Leveling a track that was previously analyzed seems to set the coefficient to something in the -1.0 to +1.0dB range, but going to another node and back again brings back the original coefficient. The serious issue, however, just blasted out of my speakers. Ghost in the Machine has been a CD that's annoyed me due to low volume for a while, but Omegaman just made me jump right out of my seat - it was far louder than anything else in the playlist, and heavily distorted.

Right now, MM says the coefficient for Omegaman is +6.9dB. I've gone through multiple rounds of leveling, between being suspicious of whether the leveling was having an effect, and also doing it through different playlists with overlapping contents. My assumption was that once a track was leveled once, any further attempt to level it should have no effect. I'm guessing, though, that what's happening is:

1. First leveling - coefficient is calculated as +6.9dB, track volume is increased by 6.9dB, new coefficient displayed (but not saved) is -0.6dB.

2. Second levelling - MM sees coefficient of +6.9dB (not -0.6dB) in the database, instead of analyzing again it simply boosts the track by another 6.9 dB.

3. Third levelling, another 6.9 dB added...

And... I just thought of this, I did an Analyze on the track and now it's reporting the coefficient as -18.7db, which supports the above scenario (leveled four times).

As my playlist continues, the variability in volume is greater than it was before - the previously quiet tracks have been boosted into the ozone layer, while the previously loud tracks have been smothered. I fear I've done permanent damage to the MP3s I leveled, and :cry: I'll need to go back and re-add everything to the Virtual CDs to get back to listenable conditions (I know, the price of using beta software...).

Two things:

1. There appears to be a bug in that the new coefficient after leveling is not properly saved.

2. Volume leveling should respect the "Only analyze Tracks with unknown Leveling Adjustment" toggle (which I have turned off) - this would have saved me from #1
jiri

Post by jiri »

You are right 1. is indeed a bug that has noone found yet. It's fixed and it will be ok in the next release.

2. Actually isn't a problem, because when 1. works well there isn't a need for modification of already modified track and thus it's skipped.

Thanks for the report,
Jiri
mikeryan

Post by mikeryan »

Thanks, Jiri. Is the "next release" going to be beta 6 or the production release?
jiri

Post by jiri »

The next release definitely won't be the final one of 2.2, because of several fixes we would like to be tested until the final release.

Jiri
mikeryan

Post by mikeryan »

That's good, while the rest seems solid it does seem like the new synchronization and leveling features need a bit more of a workout...

Thanks.