MediaMonkey Wiki

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

jiri

Post by jiri »

I agree with all this, but that's actually the point why Wiki is published only here in Beta testing forum, because it's currently released in kind of beta mode - where we want only a couple of our beta testers to review/edit it. Later we plan to fully release it for a public use and certainly link it from the main web pages.

Jiri
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

Would it be ok to start a 'wishlist' type page in the wiki? I think it would be good to keep a list there, and have the discussion on the forum.

Also, I would like to see a page for all the useful magic node codes, if that is ok. I can understand if you don't want the wiki to be dedicated to a bunch of individual scripts, but I think magic nodes should be one of the exceptions.
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

Remember that there's already a wiki wishlist page and a scripts page (btw, good work to the creators!).
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

This thread should be stickied!

Also, I still suggest (and would prefer) that a wishlist section be added, since this is/will be the official wiki.

I think if added, once filled out, it could be sticked in the wishlist forum and replace the old offical un-official wishlist that is outdated/no longer updated.

I'd also like it to be re-considered adding at least a working list of the known/popular scripts.

The script forum is great for discussion, but it leaves a lot to be desired as far as organization and finding of the scripts, and the forum search does not help much.

Putting a list of scripts in the wiki would allow it to be organized however more appropriately.

I am not suggesting that the wiki become a place to host or home page for scripts, but merely that they be listed (and linked to the applicable forum thread) for ease of use.
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

Another wishlist system would be helpful indeed, but a wiki isn't the most handy solution. An 'issue tracker' (or something similar) would probably be much better.

For the scripts, I thought there was already a script database/directory planned. For now, there's the All Scripts topic (which strangely doesn't have so very much success though).
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

Well, I agree that there could be better solutions than the wiki for either wishlist or script listings, however the wiki is available right now and would be a much better solution than the current forum based one, IMO.

Even if/when the script directory becomes available, the wiki could then link to both the forum posts and whatever the script directory becomes, or the wiki script could be archived/removed if it becomes redundant.

Same for wishlist, if/when a bug/feature request tracker becomes publically available, then the wiki list can be archived/removed.

Other than whatever time is used I can't really see any harm if wishlist/scripts list is added, since it can be just as easily removed in the future should it be appropriate.

Is anyone really opposed to this?

Rusty/Jiri any thoughts?
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

FYI:
- http://mediamonkey.wikispaces.com/wishlist (the old wishlist as wiki)
- http://mediamonkey.wikispaces.com/Scripts
It's been available quite some time, but guess how many people already contributed.
rusty

Uses for the Wiki

Post by rusty »

You're certainly free to maintain a wishlist in the wiki, if you think it would be better than the current wishlist (and I agree that it might be). The downside is that it wouldn't be integrated with our feature/bug tracking system (currently private). My long term goal would be to open up a portion of our bug/feature-tracking system to users, but some changes may need to be made to our system before that can happen.

Re. scripts, I think it would be a wasted effort to have such a list maintained there because we're in the process of creating a web app that would allow for script submission/approval/review/discussion.

As far as magic nodes, it's kind of a special case, but even the new scripts web app could probably be useful for it (we could create a special category for magic nodes configs). Let's wait for the scripts app and we'll see...

Lastly, to re-iterate Jiri's comments: the wiki is presently in beta--that's why it's not linked or easily findable from anywhere other than the beta forum.

-Rusty
peter_h

Post by peter_h »

I've posted here http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20349 about being unable to log in to the wiki.
:) Pete, from Wellington, New Zealand.

Running MM4 4.1.31.1919, on Win7 SP1, 16Gig memory, on Lenovo W530 (Intel i7) laptop
**If you're wondering why I'm still on MM4: It still has more useful-to-me plugins; and I prefer the GUI's responsiveness, panes spreadable over multi-monitors flexibility, and predictability (all coz it's more Windows-native). I also hate "flat design" for its visual inefficiency. For me, MM4's benefits are still > MM5, and MM5's downsides < MM4.
hexmode

Re: MediaMonkey Wiki

Post by hexmode »

Please update the help link in the side bar.

You should edit https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... i:Helppage so that it contains a link to your help page (maybe https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1 ??).
rusty

Post by rusty »

Thanks--I've updated the help links in the wiki so they make more sense.

-Rusty
drokxytext

Post by drokxytext »

what is worng with the site? i thought we just could go there and be logged in here and it would auto log us in there?