video support

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

Jaro

video support

Post by Jaro »

Hi,
using mm 3.
problems with videosupport in mm3 (e.g. vidcasts with embedded mp4).

suggestions (still not working):
* vid4wa26 is not up-to-date (and crashes my mm3), so abandon it
* enable nullsoft in_wm.dll and in_dshow.dll, so you have to simulate video plugin of winamp 2.9 to 5.x
* write a script, which opens only wmv, mov, avi, mp4etc. in winamp or in media player classic etc. (sorry, dont know about vbs, so someone could help me?)

work-around:
if you want to use mm3 to categorize your videos and vidcasts and you want also to watch the videos, than follow A or B:
A
1. install winamp 5
2. change mm3 options > player: winamp 2 or 5
3. if you want to watch mp4-videos, than winamp 5 > options > preferences > plug-ins > input > Nullsoft DirectShow Decoder: Add MP4.
4. use the script: OpenWA.vbs (http://www.mediamonkey.com/scripts.htm). Tip: Don't put it in auto & update your ini! (for german version you have to change the path in C:\programme\winamp\winamp.exe)
5. assign a keyboard-shortcut (in ini-file): for me, it works fine with F4 (simply write F4) ;-)
6. now, if you want to play a video: Select it and press F4.

B (update)
1. install media player classic
2. use the script: see A
3. change the path in the script to your exe of media player classic
4. assign a key as described in A

Now you can use mm3 as a nearly full podcatcher (audcast and vidcast). You cant still not you it as an rss reader (poor thing).
Greetings,
J. :lol:
rusty

MM3 and video

Post by rusty »

Jaro,

Thanks--that's really useful.

-Rusty
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

Native support for video would be better /ducks and runs
DaledeSilva

Post by DaledeSilva »

I tried a script for video support (can't remember what it was).. but it added recognition of certain filetypes to the library and was able to play them...

but I was trying this and a couple of other programs for cataloging videos and there was a big flaw that hindered ALL the programs....
- there are always formats that a particular program doesn't support.. so if your collection is in numerous formats it's next to impossible to get them all into one program.

then it occurred to me that the solution was quite simple - especially with MM.

Is it possible for someone to write a script which creates a sheet in the options in which the user can add a file format, and associate it with another program.

this would mean you could add ANY file format you want for MM to include in its database, and instead of MM trying to play it itself, it knows what program to send it to for playing.

as an example you could add:

.mkv - VLC.exe
.wmv - Windows Media Player.exe
.mov - Quicktime.exe
.pdf - Acrobat Reader.exe
.doc - Word.exe

etc. - whatever you want to catalogue you could.

If it's not possible as a script.. then how about inbuilt?
My Plugins: PrettyPictures [v0.9.2], Forget Crossfade [v1.0], Behind Titlebars [v0.9], Filter Nodes [v1.0.1], View Mode [1.0], BPM.tapper [v1.0]
My Site: http://www.ublik-om.net
botijo

Post by botijo »

The biggest problem with videos is that they are not tagged properly. There are lots of containers and even more codecs. It was very unfortunate that Windows does not support tag editing easily.
If MM begins to support video, it should also support synchronization with the devices, or the devs will get a lot of emails asking for that. And then you will see that they need to support transcoding, and believe me, that might be harsh.
So to me, that is a no no... Maybe it is because I prefer to have the DVDs around, and not in the computer.
Jaro

Post by Jaro »

bojito,
I simply asked for a vidcatching possiblity. That is my main aim.
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

Video is the same as audio.

Just bits of data.

Yea, video metadata is hit or miss, but I speak for myself, that for video I am less concerned with video metadata as I am for managing them from a library/file/player/transcoder point of view.

In other words, If MM could manage my video collection with the same ease as my audio library, then I would not care if other applications could access the metadata or library info.

Now of course, I would expect a video MM to work properly with other video apps and devices as much as possible (ie video ipods and the like), but since video metadata is much less standardized across the various codecs, its less of a problem as long as MM handles the other stuff well.
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

I've tried to expose MM to some friends, the 'no-sell' point seems to be "Can it sync my Audio AND Video to my iPod?" Just saying...
Randall_Lind

Post by Randall_Lind »

podcatchers are old. I just login to http://podnova.com/ and listen online. They do offer a program to sync to ipods etc. I don't have an ipod so doesn't matter to me.

Post by Guest »

@Randall_Lind: so you also can say: i dont need an email-programm, nor an office installation (because there is google aps), and no .......
that is not helpfull!
donector

Post by donector »

DaledeSilva wrote:
then it occurred to me that the solution was quite simple - especially with MM.

Is it possible for someone to write a script which creates a sheet in the options in which the user can add a file format, and associate it with another program.

this would mean you could add ANY file format you want for MM to include in its database, and instead of MM trying to play it itself, it knows what program to send it to for playing.

as an example you could add:

.mkv - VLC.exe
.wmv - Windows Media Player.exe
.mov - Quicktime.exe
.pdf - Acrobat Reader.exe
.doc - Word.exe

etc. - whatever you want to catalogue you could.

If it's not possible as a script.. then how about inbuilt?
I SECOND THIS!!!

that is all we need, could this be added pls???

mm is the best AUDIO manager (period0: just because of its database manager, open and flexible and friendly approach

how difficult is to be able to add another formats to the db: i guess very little, all we need is a node and the tags

abut the playback: leave it for the future