Issue

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

Fraxav

Issue

Post by Fraxav »

---
I don't have no time for no MediaMonkey buisness...

Fraxav uses a Windows XP Home Edition SP2 on an Acer Aspire 5670 laptop with an Intel Core Duo T2300 (1.66 GHz) processor, ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 512 MB, 100 GB Hard Disc and 1 GB DDR2 Ram.
superkroll

Post by superkroll »

Hi@all,

I installed 1173 and confirm Fraxavs post. I have 10000 songs and some Artists play more often than other. Sometimes MM repeats the same song a few songs later.
In short form: Shuffle Mode doesn´t really shuffle. Sometimes I think, MM have only 5 or 6 artists to shuffle, and there are more than 5 or 6 in my library. The rest doesn´t exists.
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

I too have taken notice to this as well lately.
rusty

Shuffle doesn't shuffle?

Post by rusty »

I tested this and can't replicate any problems. If you can, please let me know how.

Note: shuffle plays whatever tracks are in Now Playing randomly _until_ all tracks have been played. The order of playback is mathematically random i.e. there's nothing in the code that prevents 2 tracks by the same Artist from being played consecutively.

-Rusty
greggw

Post by greggw »

I can't say whether the shuffle feature works properly in the current version of MediaMonkey. However, I started a thread where I suggested that what many people want is not a random playlist, but a distributed playlist.
Gregg W
Fraxav

Re: Shuffle doesn't shuffle?

Post by Fraxav »

rusty wrote:i.e. there's nothing in the code that prevents 2 tracks by the same Artist from being played consecutively
But I meant exactly the same song (same artist and same title). So this is strange.
You talked about the Now Playing window...well I set it to keep no tracks at all, but this never ended in the random playback to repeat the same song.
I don't know how to reproduce this...it just happens. I'm installing the new release and let you know.

Fraxav uses a Windows XP Home Edition SP2 on an Acer Aspire 5670 laptop with an Intel Core Duo T2300 (1.66 GHz) processor, ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 512 MB, 100 GB Hard Disc and 1 GB DDR2 Ram.
superkroll

Post by superkroll »

Yesterday I had 75 songs in Now Playing. A few songs later the same song from 12 minutes ago plays again and the 75 songs were not finished. Hope you understand my english?! ;-)
Fraxav

Post by Fraxav »

Err...
actually, I just had a song repeated three times in like 15 minutes...and there were so many tracks that were not played yet.
I want to underline that I never press stop, or my problem would be not a problem. It was just continuos playback.
Since other people are experiencing this as well, could some dev. check out the code for the shuffle function?
I don't want to be stressing, but it's stressing to listen always to the same two/three songs with at least other 20 available :)
Of course I'm using the latest release.

Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Fraxav,
did you have "Continuous playback" enabled ?

I checked over the algorithm and it is as Rusty have written: shuffle plays whatever tracks are in Now Playing randomly _until_ all tracks have been played.
But if you have "Continuous playback" enabled then after all tracks have been played the round starts again and there is a small probability to choose the same track (last one in the previous round) as the first one or second one in the next round/go. This could be the root of your issue.
superkroll

Post by superkroll »

even if "continous playback" is enabled, MM repeats the same song short time after the first playback and not all songs have been played from now playing list.
rusty

shuffle problem

Post by rusty »

I've tested over and over and can't reproduce this.

For those of you who are observing the problem: can you do a clean install (no scripts / no auto dj), and see if you can figure out a set of steps to reproduce this?

Thx.

-Rusty
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

superkroll, could not it be caused by the fact that you have many tracks with "Shuffle Ignored" in your Now Playing list? Check over your filters settings. If you are not a gold user then shuffle is ignored for audiobooks and podcasts by default.
Fraxav

Post by Fraxav »

Well, I'm not a gold user and I never enable continuous playback or AutoDJ.
I always do clean installs (I mean: I unistall the prev. version of MM, reboot, install new version and launch it as it's installed) and I'm not installing external scripts on RCs.
I don't know how to reproduce it...In MM, I just open a folder in my library with some music (in this last case, 58 files), double click on the first I want to listen to and let it play. Once the first track ends, next ones follow.
Sometimes during the playback, I notice that some tracks are played in their alphabetical order and not randomly; or some tracks are played again after a short time while all the 58 files were not played yet.
Now Playing contains all the 58 files.
The settings page is as follows:

Auto DJ
Auto Dj: Not enabled
Automatically keeps at least 5 incoming tracks in Now Playing
Adds tracks from entire library
Now Playing
Automatically keeps all previous tracks in Now Playing
Show warning when track to be played is not accessible: Enabled

superkroll

Post by superkroll »

I´m not a gold user and have no scripts installed. But instead of Fraxav, I overwrite the MediaMonkey with the recent versions.
But it is as Fraxav already mentioned.
Sometimes during the playback, I notice that some tracks are played in their alphabetical order and not randomly; or some tracks are played again after a short time while all the 58 files were not played yet

In some cases when MM plays randomly the whole library, MM shuffles between 5 or 6 folders only out of over 300.

AutoDJ is enabled
all played tracks stay in now playing after playback
rusty

shuffle

Post by rusty »

Fraxav,

This shouldn't make a difference, but can you tell me which node you're choosing the tracks from? Or is it via Windows Explorer?

If it's from the My Computer node or Windows Explorer, do the tracks exist in the library?

Superkroll,

Can you try enabling either Shuffle or AutoDJ but not both and try to replicate a problem? It's difficult to know if there's a problem with Shuffle or Auto-DJ if both are active.

Thx.

-Rusty