1248 Incremental auto-sync corrupts ZEN [#5833]

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

Zeke129

Re: 1248 Incremental auto-sync corrupts ZEN -----------

Post by Zeke129 »

chrisjj wrote:As the OP says: Version: 1.21.03e .
Yes, I read the OP, I just wanted to see if anyone had something different. :D
That's the same firmware I am using. (Regular Zen)
nynaevelan wrote:I am curios, what is your sync setup? How many tracks? How many playlists? Any overlap of tracks in the playlists? Do you have alot of tracks which frequently change in MM, which requires re-syncing on the Zen?
I have 946 tracks spread over 22 playlists. There is a lot of overlap as my playlists are set up according to rating, ie, "3+ Star Genre A", "3+ Star Genre B", "4+ Star Genre A", and so forth. I also have a few standard playlists that I just modify and maintain as I see fit. The autosync is set up to only sync from these playlists, but on occasion I'll manually sync some files so I can rate them on the Zen. Upon next autosync, it will copy over the ratings and update the playlists successfully, and remove the files that didn't make the cut.

I listen to music in MM frequently, so on autosync it always changes the playcount values on the Zen to match. I also recently fixed some problems with inconsistent album art which ended up modifying a lot of files on the Zen. I've never had to format it and sync fresh, it always just seems to work. As I said, I did some fiddling and changed one of the artist names and then synced. No corruption. I changed it back, and synced again. Still no corruption.

What we need to do is find what's different in our setups here.
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

Wow you are very fortunate, my setup consists of syncing 79 playlists that consists of 1540 tracks, and yes the playlists have ALOT of overlap, but these are all static playlists, I do not use autoplaylists except as generation playlists. I will try to put together a list (if possible) of how many playlists the tracks could belong to, in order to try to determine how much overlap I truly have. Of course I will problably have to reach out to some of the scripters for some SQL assistance. I also never rate on the Zen, the only thing I do is listen to music, audiobooks and watch some videos every now and again. of course it is also my transport device for carting my db back and forth between home and work. But because of this syncing problem, I have moved my videos to the memory card to avoid having to keep reloading them back onto the Zen.

Nyn
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

Through the help of Bex and his SQL Viewer script I realized I have more overlap than I thought, here is a breakdown of my tracks/playlists:

In my autosync setup I do not have any conversions or volume leveling setup and it is setup to delete the tracks which are not in the 78 playlists.

Nyn

Zeke129

Post by Zeke129 »

I definitely don't have that much overlap, but some does exist. I was looking forward to getting a Zen X-Fi but now that I see what kind of problems I may face... :-?
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

> I realized I have more overlap than I thought, here is a breakdown of my tracks/playlists:

May I ask what in that breakdown indicates any overlap?

EIT: Now I see the answer: the previous post's "1540 tracks".
Chris
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

chrisjj wrote:> I realized I have more overlap than I thought, here is a breakdown of my tracks/playlists:

May I ask what in that breakdown indicates any overlap?
When I say overlap, I mean if a track exists on more than one playlist, than this would cause MM to work a little harder, since it has to ensure the playlists are rebuilt. As you can see, I have alot of tracks which exist on more than one playlist. In fact more than half of my tracks cause an overlap.

Nyn

nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

Zeke129 wrote:I definitely don't have that much overlap, but some does exist. I was looking forward to getting a Zen X-Fi but now that I see what kind of problems I may face... :-?
Honestly I do not see that much difference between the two. The X-Fi does add some to the sound quality with the X-Fi features but not by that much. And unless you plan on using the wireless features, which I do not, why spend for the extra expense? A regular Zen would do the same for less money. But other than the syncing problems, they both are more stable than the Vision.

Nyn

chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

nynaevelan wrote:When I say overlap, I mean if a track exists on more than one playlist, than this would cause MM to work a little harder, since it has to ensure the playlists are rebuilt. As you can see, I have alot of tracks which exist on more than one playlist. In fact more than half of my tracks cause an overlap.
In the OP case, no track appeared on more than one playlist. Though one track did appear seven times on one playlist.
Chris
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

Well I think we have already established that you and I use different setups and different file types. I don't think we will find any similarities between our setups.

chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

> I don't think we will find any similarities between our setups.

Apart from the corruption? :)

I think we will.
Chris
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

chrisjj wrote:> I don't think we will find any similarities between our setups.

Apart from the corruption? :)

I think we will.
True, but I would love to know what works so I can try to use it.

Nyn

chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

> but I would love to know what works so I can try to use it.

When I find out, I'll be sure to let you know!
Chris
Zeke129

Post by Zeke129 »

Do you guys have memory cards in your Zens? I doubt it would have any effect, but if you all do and I don't then there might be something to it.
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

Yes I do have one in the Zen, although I do not or can not directly sync to it from MM.

Nyn

chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

> Do you guys have memory cards in your Zens?

I do not.
Chris