Some files in DB failed to migrate to MediaMonkey

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

David

Name Change

Post by David »

The new name doesn't do anything positive for me yet and the splash screen :o ... what's with that?

When I did the conversion, MM didn't know that I had the Gold version, so I had to enter the information again. Plus it missed about 1000 songs in the database. I was very close to removing it and going back to the previous version of Songs-DB. I'm still not convinced 100% that I will keep the latest version, but you knows maybe it will grow on me!

Dav
rusty
Posts: 7340
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2003 3:39 am
Location: Montreal, Canada
Contact:

Post by rusty »

David, Can you provide a bit more info about which tracks it missed?
-During the install, did you specify that the Songs-DB database should be imported into MediaMonkey?
-Are there any particular characteristics about tracks that didn't make it through in the update?

It may be related to the change in the default directory for Virtual CD files (from /songs-db to /MediaMonkey), but I'd need a bit more info...

thx.

Rusty
David

Post by David »

Rusty,

There was nothing special about the missing tracks other than they were all in one folder "Rock". However, that is not meant to indicate none of the songs in that folder were imported, because most of them were. And Yes, during the install, I did specify the Songs-DB should be imported.

It was only after a manual scan of the music folders that my database reported the correct number of songs. Since then any new additions and/or changes have been reported correctly without having to rescan.

Regards,

Dave
mister_rdz
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:07 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Post by mister_rdz »

Hi Rusty,

I think I discovered the problem relative to not retrieving all the song tracks. It's happened to me a couple of times since my last post and in each case it involved a corrupt MP3 or OGG file. All the files preceding the bad one migrated, or were added to the database. However, any file after the bad one were left out! :(

Regards,

Dave
rusty
Posts: 7340
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2003 3:39 am
Location: Montreal, Canada
Contact:

re: Some files failed to migrate to MediaMonkey

Post by rusty »

As discussed (offline), this problem consists of 2 bugs:
1) corrupt ogg files occasionally generated on some systems
2) lack of feedback from the file monitor (it takes a LONG time to scan corrupted files and thus it appears as if it failed to import files that follow the corrupted file).

Issue 1: has been resolved in RC-2.
Issue 2: has been deferred to post 2.0 since:
-such corrupt files are rare
-the issue is unlikely to arise unless the user checks the monitored directory just after making the changes
-the issue can be easily worked around by doing a manual scan
Post Reply