Sorting by Date Added [NOTREP]

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

froster

Re: Sorting by Date Added [NOTREP]

Post by froster »

'acetone' here.. Forgot I had a username already.

Man is this problem getting weirder.. First of all, I realized I don't quite have the exact same problem as you Eric, as when I hit refresh, my sort order sticks. However, mine defaults to the Album Artist sort order when I clear the search box after searching for a song. So I'll type a string, delete it, and the library reloads under the Album Artist sort order. But get this, if I delete the string entirely rather than letter by letter (Ctrl+a, then delete the string in the search box), then the library reloads under my preferred sort order (Date Added), BUT in the reverse orientation. That is, my library has scrolled all the way to the bottom where it's now sorted by Ascending Date Added (newest last). Weird huh?

I was certain that it had something to do with upgrading from a MM3 library (perhaps a well-established one, such that some odd, incompatible setting got scrambled in the transition and thus causes the glitch -- I don't know, just a crazy theory..), but with you having started anew I'm beginning to think it's something else. I value all the timestamps too so re-adding the files and starting from scratch is simply not an option for me.

Anyways, I'll keep posting my observations.
froster

Post by froster »

Whoops. I'm mistaken in that the library is not defaulting to sorting by Album Artist, but by Ascending Date Added. So basically, just the opposite of what I want it sorted by.
eric.stephani

Post by eric.stephani »

I am running into a lot of wierd sorting issues. I am trying to come up with reproducible steps.
eric.stephani

Post by eric.stephani »

Any activity on this bug?
atheistwithfaith

Post by atheistwithfaith »

Just wanted to add that I recently took the plunge and updated from MM3 to MM4 after a long while putting it off and I have this bug too.
I want to sort my library by album artist but whenever I return to the main collection screen the ordering has reset itself so that everything I've added recently (I don't think all of it is since I updated to MM4, but certainly all files added in the last month or so) is at the bottom. So my library displays from A-Z with most stuff and then A-Z again with a subset of newly added stuff.

Anyone else still seeing this bug?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Are you using MediaMonkey 4.1.0.1692?
Peke

Post by Peke »

We are monitoring :) and trying to sum all of your posts to see what happened, what work or not and where the problem is.

For now whatevere I try to replicate I do not get your results.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
atheistwithfaith

Post by atheistwithfaith »

Lowlander wrote:Are you using MediaMonkey 4.1.0.1692?
Yes, I am. Updated straight from MM3 to that release and then cleared my database and rebuilt it.

I don't fully remember the default sorting in MM3 but I used to have it set at something like Album Artist/Album > Year > Disc Number > Track Number. That way my music would be sorted primarily by Album Artist and then displayed with their oldest releases first and newest released later (with disc number and track order respected too).

Now, when I'm in the "Entire Library" window (or a specific location) I can get MM4 to do that if I sort by "Album Artist" and then Ctrl+click "Year". HOWEVER, as soon as I go to another part of MM4, say for example, a playlist, or do a search in the search bar, when I go back to the full library the order has gone random.

For example, I'm looking at it now and as I look at Artist or Album Artist it seems to go:
A Aa Ab ... ... Ay // Al ... ... Ay
Ca Cc ... ... Cy // Ca ... ... Cu

So basically it sorts the majority from Aa --> Az and then sorts a smaller subset AGAIN from Aa --> Az. And this trend continues for every letter of the alphabet. In fact, if I close mediamonkey and open it again it sometimes sorts a single letter into even more subsets.

I can see no relationship between which ones are sorted first and which ones are sorted second. It is also not consistent among artist names - so a few of an artists albums may be in one subset, and other albums in another subset. Even artists with similar names may be in different subsets - "Ayaka" and "Ayaka Hirahara" for example. I am a pretty meticulous tagger and there appears to be no trend in whether or not it has a discnumber, whether "artist" and "album artist" fields match (they almost all do), the year, or whatever.

I should also add that when I do leave the window and come back again (say if I type something in the search bar and then delete it) the column titles still show the exact same "depressions". So album artist and year columns are highlighted with the arrows pointing up, but the ordering has changed.

I don't really care if mediamonkey has some bizarre default sorting thing but the annoying thing is that it doesn't seem to remember its sort order when if I leave that window at all!

If it means anything, my full library size is 58000+ but I normally look at a subset which is 32000+ songs.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Does it show that Album Artist (and the secondary fields) are still sorted on? Maybe it's sorting on something else?

Anyway from your description (I can't reproduce though) it sounds like a bug. I suggest capturing these events in a debug log (step 4b) and send the log to support: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=69
chaos1618

Post by chaos1618 »

I have this exact issue too. I'm using MM4.1.23

As others pointed out, if I click on the Added column header a couple of times it resorts to show all the items.

I thought this was happening to me because I had actually used a regex plugin to edit added column field values. However when editing the values in this column it accepts only a valid timestamp.

What happens every time is that songs that I added a few months back (from a specific date) are always omitted. If I quickly double click the Added column to resort, a few 100 more songs are updated. If I double click once more the remaining songs are updated. In the bottom its shown that files are being read..
oblivioncth

Post by oblivioncth »

eric.stephani wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:51 pm I got so frustrated with this issue that I completely deleted my mm.db file and started with a new one and had MM re-scan my folders to re-add them. I lost a lot of data, play lists, play counts, dates files were added, being the most important. Also lost a lot of settings. So I am not very happy right now that I had to do this.
In the meantime, since this did not fix the issue for you, just re-download your old database file from Mediafire and overwrite your current one with it so you get all of your stats back.

If you have not already done so lol.
chaos1618

Post by chaos1618 »

I seem to have found a fix. Do File->Maintain Library->Optimise database (Complete).

Will update if the issue recurs again.
ADRIANADELGADO

Post by ADRIANADELGADO »

GOOD NIGHTS, GENERALLY I HAPPEN THE SAME THING AND SOLVED IT BY CLICKING F5 AND SO I AVOID THOSE INCOVENIENTS BUT ALSO ORDER BY DATE IN THE UPPER WINDOW.