[1463] addons are installed twice [#8975]

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

Ludek

Re: [1463] addons are installed twice [#8975]

Post by Ludek »

I would love to fix it, but I have never reproduced the issue and also haven't found a reason for it.

If would be very helpful if you could find exact steps how to reproduce the issue.
Something like:
1. Download this addon ....
2. Install it as current user....
3. ......
Otello

Post by Otello »

Ludek,

I don't know if it helps, but I just checked Tools/Extensions and i have ALL my add-on listed twice. For the record, I always install add-on for all users.
Just a guess: maybe there's a relation with the famous "install as Admin" issue?
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

I don't understand one thing:
If you always install addons for all users how can you see addons listed twice (for 'All users' and 'Current user')?

So I am asking again, are there any steps to repro? i.e. Can I download an addon and get to the state you have observed?

In case there are no steps to repro then I guess it is something that remained from the earlier versions. The addons handling have been changed in MM4 so that users could install addons also without admin rights, so I guess that If you uninstall one of the duplicate addons (current user / all users ) that it uninstall only the corresponding instance, isn't it?
Otello

Post by Otello »

Ludek, I don't understand either. ;)

My guess is:

- during first install of MM4 I'm sure I installed as Admin
- when installing skins or whatever add-on, again, I'm sure I always installed for all users
- BUT during upgrades to some 4.0.x version it's very possible that, instead of dowloading the file and installing as admin, at least once I just clicked on the DL link and run the program, so no admin privileges.

Now, what happens in this situation? MM remember my first install as admin, or "get confused" and don't know exactly if it's an installation for all or for one user only?
BKKKPewsey

Post by BKKKPewsey »

Otello wrote:BUT during upgrades to some 4.0.x version it's very possible that, instead of dowloading the file and installing as admin, at least once I just clicked on the DL link and run the program, so no admin privileges
I don't think that was the situation in my case which appeared on a 1462 to 1463 upgrade as I have set my preferences to run MM as Admin (gets over any issues with script installs).
Also like you I had installed all the extensions for all users (as far as I was aware :-? )
But it does seem to be linked with the disappearing extensions problem.
I have now changed to portable install and that issue seems to have gone away.
Everyone has the right to be stupid Image but some abuse the privilege