Can the same device be synced by both WiFi and USB?

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

BigInJapan

Can the same device be synced by both WiFi and USB?

Post by BigInJapan »

For an Android device running the MMA beta, should I be able to alternately sync that same device via both USB and WiFi, or do I need to pick one and stick with it for all syncs?

It seems like when I know there are going to be a lot of files to sync over, I'd rather do that via USB for the speed. But then when I'm just syncing stats or some minor playlist updates, I'd rather do that via WiFi for the convenience.

When I plugged my device in via USB, MMW didn't seem to recognize it as the same device that I had previously synced via WiFi.
Remember when Last.fm had those cool imagegen charts for use in signatures?
Lowlander

Re: Can the same device be synced by both WiFi and USB?

Post by Lowlander »

You should be able to use both methods.
BigInJapan

Post by BigInJapan »

Should it be the same device profile, or should each method have it's own profile?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

They should have the same device profile.
BigInJapan

Post by BigInJapan »

Thanks for your help. I think I spotted the problem. I had changed the name on the profile in MMW. Some time later I installed a new build. It looks like some time after that, a new device profile got added under the default name. That might have happened the first time I did a WiFi sync after I installed the latest build. I remember a sync going awry around that time. So basically, it was no longer using the profile I thought it was. I deleted the old profile and renamed the new one. That seems to have worked, but I'm curious if it will loose the link again after the next update. Time will tell, I guess.

Sorry if that's not terribly clear. I've just been tinkering and not really keeping close tabs on everything I've done. For now, it looks like I'm getting both USB and WiFi sync on the same profile, so I think I'm ok on this issue now. Just knowing what it was supposed to do made it easier to figure it out.
BigInJapan

Post by BigInJapan »

This is back to not working. Windows sees the internal and external cards in my device as a single device, and MMW is making a profile accordingly. MMA wants to set up separate profiles for the internal and external cards.

It seems we have threads for this going both here and in the MMA forum. I'm not sure which side the issue is technically on.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »