MMW 1683 will not install with service running [#14218]

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

Ludek

Re: [BUG] MMW 1683 will not install with service running

Post by Ludek »

Yes, the service is supposed to be running only when MM is not running, because it actually shares the same data and runs MediaMonkey.exe.
So MM stops the service when starting and starts the service when closing.

So it seems that there is a conflict when MM tries to start the service during install the service (when both MM and the service are running).
I will try the MediaMonkeyRemote to see if I can simulate the conflict.

What exactly the error after installing the service in MM says, is it still the "OpenService FAILED 5: Access is denied"?
If yes, could you please try this after the error is shown:
- run "cmd" (i.e. command line)
- type "sc start MediaMonkeyService" to the command line
What does it write?
And what does it write if you run "cmd" as administrator and perfrom "sc start MediaMonkeyService"?
dmcritchie

Post by dmcritchie »

> What exactly the error after installing the service in MM says

[SC] StartService: OpenService FAILED 5:
Access is denied.

So I caused the error to occur by uninstalling and reinstalling the service. Then I opened a command prompt window and typed in the command you said. It worked:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\dmcr>sc start MediaMonkeyService

SERVICE_NAME: MediaMonkeyService
TYPE : 10 WIN32_OWN_PROCESS
STATE : 2 START_PENDING
(NOT_STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, IGNOR
WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
CHECKPOINT : 0x76167d40
WAIT_HINT : 0x1388
PID : 6740
FLAGS :

The MM service was not running before I typed in this command, and it *was* running afterward. This was when running as myself, not as admin. However, note that my account has admin permissions.

Note that as mentioned previously, after getting this error, I can also start the service from the Services window.

Dennis
dmcritchie

Post by dmcritchie »

I had cut off the right-hand side of the 'sc start' command output. Here is the complete output:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\dmcr>sc start MediaMonkeyService

SERVICE_NAME: MediaMonkeyService
TYPE : 10 WIN32_OWN_PROCESS
STATE : 2 START_PENDING
(NOT_STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)
WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
CHECKPOINT : 0x76167d40
WAIT_HINT : 0x1388
PID : 6740
FLAGS :
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hmm, it means that start of the service works fine via command line even if it is not running as administrator (as expected).

So that is really strange why MM is getting "Access Denied", because MM actually does the same (it calls 'sc start MediaMonkeyService').
In addition you indicated that the service is properly closed by MM on MM start, and properly started by MM on MM closing which is strange, because MM uses the same method to start it (as during install).

I am going to prepare special testing MM.EXE for you that could show us more.

EDIT: Could you please download this http://happymonkeying.com/beta/MediaMonkey.exe and replace your current MediaMonkey.exe by this one downloaded and generate debug log while installing the service? Thank you.
dmcritchie

Post by dmcritchie »

Thanks Ludek.

On vacation now until Jan 17. Will do testing w/ special version when I get back.

Dennis
pbryanw

Post by pbryanw »

Hi,

Sorry for reopening this old thread but I had a similar problem (Error 1069: The service did not start due to a logon failure) when trying to install the MediaMonkeyService from inside MMW.

In the end, I found a fix on this old Microsoft support page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/327545
The advice still works for Windows 10:

1. Open Local Security Policy app
2. Expand Local Policies, and then click User Rights Assignment
3. In the right pane, right-click Log on as a service, and then click Add User or Group.
4. In the User and Group Names box, type the name that you want to add to the policy, and then click OK. (in my case this was the admin user account I log in with)
5. Quit the Local Security Policy app.

One reboot later, the MediaMonkey service started running with no problems. Hope this might be of help to someone who experiences the same error.
j0ma2

Post by j0ma2 »

pbryanw wrote:Hi,

Sorry for reopening this old thread but I had a similar problem (Error 1069: The service did not start due to a logon failure) when trying to install the MediaMonkeyService from inside MMW.

In the end, I found a fix on this old Microsoft support page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/327545

3. In the right pane, right-click Log on as a service, and then click Add User or Group.
4. In the User and Group Names box, type the name that you want to add to the policy, and then click OK. (in my case this was the admin user account I log in with)

One reboot later, the MediaMonkey service started running with no problems. Hope this might be of help to someone who experiences the same error.
I had the same Error 1069 and your solution worked. Thank you.

Windows 10 Pro
MM 4.1.10.1778
vv01f00

Post by vv01f00 »

pbryanw wrote:Hi,

I just registered to forum to say thank yo a lot. this was worked for me.
Ludek

Re: MMW 1683 will not install with service running

Post by Ludek »