Same Files added [u]each time[/u] I open MM

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

llwb

Same Files added [u]each time[/u] I open MM

Post by llwb »

As soon as I started using Version 2.0 Build 2.586(Windows 98SE),
each time I opened MM the same group of about 200 files would be added. For whatever reason I think this may be related to my using the File Monitor feature - as the files involved appear to be those that were added when I first initiated the File Monitor thereby adding files which were on my HD but had not previously been added manually to the DB. Am I making myself clear enough?
TIA

llwb
rusty

File Monitor Messages

Post by rusty »

In beta 4, a status bar was added to the file monitor to indicate whether or not a folder is in the process of being monitored. The message that's currently provided is misleading--although it may indicate adding xxxx even when new files aren't actually being added to the library. We should be able to correct this before the next release.

btw, you indicate that you're running the File Monitor on a Win98 SE system. Am I understanding you correctly? (theoretically, it shouldn't work properly, though we haven't tested the File Monitor on W98 SE).

-Rusty
Lowlander

Like to know

Post by Lowlander »

I'd like to know more specifics about the File Monitor. In other words does it check at a regular interval the folders, or constantly? Does it check only when MM is loaded or all the time? How much system resources are involved with this procedure?

These questions have to do with my music being on a second drive which turns off after not being used a certain time. I wouldn't want MM to keep this drive active.

Thanks
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

Re: File Monitor Messages

Post by Guest »

rusty wrote:message that's currently provided is misleading--although it may indicate adding xxxx even when new files aren't actually being added to the library. We should be able to correct this before the next release.

Yes, that appears to be what is happening. However, the monitor bar is active for an actual period of time(just over 1 minute according to my watch), during which it "sounds" like files are being added(the HD seems to be active).

btw, you indicate that you're running the File Monitor on a Win98 SE system. Am I understanding you correctly? (theoretically, it shouldn't work properly, though we haven't tested the File Monitor on W98 SE).

-Rusty
So maybe that is the issue. I am running File Monitor on a Win98SE system. With the exception of the problem above, however, as far as I can tell File Monitor is doing what it is supposed to (although I have not tested it extensively). At least I hope so since it is one of the reasons I went for The Gold.

Keep up the good work!

llwb

Post by Guest »

rusty wrote:
message that's currently provided is misleading--although it may indicate adding xxxx even when new files aren't actually being added to the library. We should be able to correct this before the next release.

Yes, that appears to be what is happening. However, the monitor bar is active for an actual period of time(just over 1 minute according to my watch), during which it "sounds" like files are being added(the HD seems to be active).

llwb
rusty

Explanation of the file monitor

Post by rusty »

Here's a bit more detail about what the file monitor actually does:

-At MM startup, it checks whether any changes have occured to folders that are 'monitored', and updates the library accordingly. For a very large collection, this can take a couple of minutes, however, the process occurs in the background, so there's no impact on the user.
-When MM is running, any changes that occur in folders that are 'monitored' cause the library to automatically update.

Note: the file monitor detects additions, deletions, and changes to the contents of the the monitored folder (and its subfolders).