Lyrics syncing in iOS 10 [#13784]

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

outlandis

Lyrics syncing in iOS 10 [#13784]

Post by outlandis »

Am I the only one who is having problems with the lyrics syncing in iOS 10?

I synced a bunch of songs which I know have lyrics yet I cannot see the lyrics in any of my iOS devices.

Am I missing something. Lyrics worked fine in iOS 9...

Thanks
Lowlander

Re: Lyrics syncing in iOS 10

Post by Lowlander »

Which version of MediaMonkey, iTunes and exact version of iOS10 are you using?
outlandis

Post by outlandis »

Iphone 7 with all ios versions 10.0.1 through 10.1
Itunes 12.5.1.21
MM 4.14.1813
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, I checked this quickly and the note in the code is:
// Starting from iOS8 lyrics are not transferred via BPLISTs, but read from tag / looked up by iOS8 itself (see issues #12678, #12701)

Looking into Mantis:
http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=12678
-- lyrics were eliminated from file metadata updates

http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=12701
-- lyrics were eliminated entirely because of http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view. ... 701#c42420

Tomorrow, I am going to try with iOS10 and possibly re-enable it to see whether iOS10 would accept it again or not.

EDIT: I have just tried to see lyrics in my iOS 10 device and it is there, but you need to scroll down the screen and there is a row:
Lyrics .... Show
And upon tapping the Show the lyrics text is shown bellow.
outlandis

Post by outlandis »

I cannot get the show lyrics option to show up on my iOS device. I figured it is because there is a new way that iOS was looking for the lyrics and it's not seeing them.
I have an iPad, iPhone and Ipod Touch and it is the same way on all of them.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

OK, just done some tests and results are:

iOS10 also don't accept BPLISTs with lyrics metadata during transfer (fails to send manifest) -- i.e. #12701 is still valid
But:
- with Music app only some of the tracks has lyrics (e.g. Moby, 18, In My Hearth), but many tracks fails to show the lyrics (e.g. Sting, Brand New Day, Brand New Day)
- with Cesium music app _all_ songs are showing lyrics

Note that the Cesium app can show also some addition info like grouping and comment ( http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=13564 )
Also star rating is still possible with Cesium (no longer possible with the Apple's Music app starting from iOS10)

So workaround seems to use Cesium music player .
outlandis

Post by outlandis »

So am I to assume this will not be fixed and the only way to have the lyrics display is by using a 3rd party (Cesium) music player?
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Unfortunatelly it seems so (unless Apple fix it in the default iOS 10 Music app).
outlandis

Post by outlandis »

Just as an update, if I attempt to export the playlist from MM into iTunes, the lyrics work fine. Seems that iTunes must be correctly doing whatever it does to the BPLIST files.
I understand the complications with trying to reverse engineer a sync process but it's not really an option to use another music player for be because of how well the native music player works with CarPlay.
If there is anything that would help to get the lyrics working with the native player I'd be happy to do whatever I can.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, you seem to be right.

I re-tested it and tracks synced using iTunes shows the lyrics in the Music app.
It had to be a test error when I tested it lastly.

So yes, it is about reverse engineering of iTunes sync now, tracked as:
http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=13784
Ludek

Re: Lyrics syncing in iOS 10 [#13784]

Post by Ludek »

FYI: It is fixed in build 1820
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

otulandis

Post by otulandis »

Seems like the lyrics syncing from MM to iOS is broken again.
I'm not quite sure when it broke because I only realize that it's broken when I go to query the lyrics of a song with the music player app and they are not there.
First thing I then do is check other songs and when I see multiple songs without lyrics syncing then I make sure that MM has lyrics.
After finally having the time to check it out, I realize that all 3 of my iOS devices (iPhone, Ipad pro, and ipod touch) on iOS 11 do not have lyrics synced.

Erased all the music and started over to make sure it wasn't an issue with something I was doing and verified with fresh sync on all devices that lyrics do not sync.
Unfortunately, I can't be much more specific, but it seems pretty widespread on all my devices so it might be easily reproducible.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Thanks for reporting, re-opened http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=13784 to look into it.
Ludek

Re: Lyrics syncing in iOS 13 [#13784]

Post by Ludek »

Hi, just tested with iOS 11.4, but I haven't been able to replicate the issue. Lyrics synced just fine.

I used these steps:
1) Deleted all songs from my iPod Touch using MM
2) Selected one (not well known) track in MM and changed lyrics to 'aaaaa'
3) Right-click the track > Send to > iPod Touch
4) Opened music app, tapped the track to start playback
5) clicked track artwork below to bring the Now Playing screen with large artwork
6) Scrolled down to show the lyrics
=> Lyrics 'aaaaa' are there

Could you try with this steps or which steps did you use?
Note I used not well known track just to ensure that auto-search lyrics feature won't overwrite my 'aaaaa' lyrics.