High memory usage all of a sudden

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

Dan33185

High memory usage all of a sudden

Post by Dan33185 »

I noticed today MM using a lot of memory for no apparent reason. Usually it sits at around 70 MB or so, even when in use. Today I noticed it jumped up to like 130-140 MB. I exited out of MM and started it back up, and noticed memory was rising on it's own, without me even touching anything in MM, I've attached a debug log below of a few minutes as an example, I finally closed it out after that but it was still rising and didn't show signs of stopping.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9ibH ... TN0SllwUTg
Lowlander

Re: High memory usage all of a sudden

Post by Lowlander »

Which version of MediaMonkey? One such issue got resolved.
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Then capture this in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=6&t=341
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi Dan,
I watched your log from the GDrive link above and it seems that drive E:\ was recognized as portable device and its content was scanned.
Does the memory grows up also if you unplug the drive E:\ ?
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

Ludek wrote:Hi Dan,
I watched your log from the GDrive link above and it seems that drive E:\ was recognized as portable device and its content was scanned.
Does the memory grows up also if you unplug the drive E:\ ?
Drive E is an external drive, so at the time I ran the log, it was a HD with tons of live shows, almost all FLAC files. I have a different external drive plugged in now running a backup of my computer and MM is running as expected, using 39 MB of memory even when playing. So maybe something with external drives that include music files causes it to run high?
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi Dan, external drives should be automatically excluded from the portable device list.

Anyhow once you connect the drive E:\ then I guess it is showing the in media tree like this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/obmk2aybc2mw2 ... 0.png?dl=0
?

If yes, then just disable the '[ ] Scan as soon as the device is connected' checkbox, this should help.
But the external drives should be automatically unchecked in Options > Portable Devices, i.e. the "Show" column here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/brlzo4umuplvh ... 3.png?dl=0
It looks that you either checked the drive E:\ there or it wasn't automatically unchecked?
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

It was checked, I unchecked it so hopefully that will fix the problem. Thanks!
Jukebox

Post by Jukebox »

I have a similar problem, but disconnecting my external drive is not an option. I've always kept all my music on a 2TB external USB 2.0 drive. This is the ONLY drive MM reads while monitoring. Music is played directly from that drive & it has no problem with that. It hasn't been a problem at all until quite recently, but now it is taking hours to monitor all the files on the drive. The Laptop I'm running it on has nowhere near enough hard drive space to hold my library, so moving it there is absolutely out of the question.
Is my only option to completely turn off automatic monitoring & manually add new folders as I move them to my music storage drive?
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

I have 3 external drives connected to my MMW box (not a portable) and it has been working fine. No excessive memory usage. I used the monitoring just the other day added an album and all 32 tracks came up fine.
You might try removing monitoring and see if that does reduce the usage .. but my guess is something else is going on. What addons do you have
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Jukebox

Post by Jukebox »

I had 5.
Auto Album DJ (which I've now removed as I could never get that to work properly, anyway.)
Clean Import
ClearNowPlaying
Forget Crossfade
MP2 Input Plugin

These were all present long before this issue showed up, though.

I do think I've managed to fix the problem. When I went into the file monitoring, I discovered that certain folders had individual scan settings. This was causing the tree to be expanded at certain points, and no matter how often I collapsed it, it would be expanded again when I next opened the file monitor settings. It took me a while to figure out this was only affecting branches with folders that had been set individually. Once I worked out that selecting all the relevant root folders & turning off monitoring for those, wasn't changing the ones that had been set separately at some point, I went through & turned off all monitoring for those individual album folders one at a time. For the time being, I'm leaving scan at startup off, as there's not point doing that on occasions when I know nothing has been changed & it's easy to start a manual scan when I add/remove/change something.
It still takes a while to run the file monitor, but there are over 170,000 files on the drive, & several minutes is a lot better than several hours. :)
I don't really know what I did exactly that solved the problem, but it is back to normal now.

Thanks for the help.
Last edited by Jukebox on Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Good news ..
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig