Album Art doesn't always show in Windows 8.1 taskbar [1863]

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

AnthonyM1229

Album Art doesn't always show in Windows 8.1 taskbar [1863]

Post by AnthonyM1229 »

Hello. Ever since I updated to 1863 over 1859, I've noticed that album art is only showing occasionally in my Windows taskbar hover preview, instead of all the time, like it should. I'd estimate that now, only about 30% of my songs show the album art in the taskbar hover.

I'm using Windows 8.1 x64, and am running MM Portable. My music library is all OGGs, and all my album art is in JPG. Oddly, the times that the album art is not showing in the taskbar hover previews, it's showing just fine in the player window, and in the Pop-up display that comes up on song change.

So, what could be going on? I don't know if I've given enough info to work with, but I'd be happy to provide anything more I can.

Since I'm talking about the taskbar, I have a possibly related, though likely separate issue too. Didn't the taskbar hover preview used to show a duration bar as well? I haven't seen that anymore in a few months. I don't recall when that went away. It might have been 4.1.18, but I'm not sure.

I'm not sure if my issues are skin-dependent. As for the one about the album art not showing, I've tried all the different skins I have (though, having had used a custom skin for years now, I don't recall which is the default one anymore), and they all exhibited the issue.
PetrCBR

Re: Album Art doesn't always show in Windows 8.1 taskbar [18

Post by PetrCBR »

Hi. Is it random ?
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

AnthonyM1229 wrote:Hello. Ever since I updated to 1863 over 1859, I've noticed that album art is only showing occasionally in my Windows taskbar hover preview, instead of all the time, like it should. I'd estimate that now, only about 30% of my songs show the album art in the taskbar hover.
It always does show for me, nevertheless I re-opened http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view. ... 596#c49450 to look into it.
Petr indicated that he has already contacted you about the issue (he also couldn't replicate).
AnthonyM1229 wrote: I'm using Windows 8.1 x64, and am running MM Portable. My music library is all OGGs, and all my album art is in JPG.
In case of portable version there is no taskbar preview (based on my tests).
EDIT: I tested an old install of 4.1.15 portable that doesn't show it. Installed 4.1.20 and it shows the taskbar preview with artwork as expected.
EDIT2: Are the JPGs stored in OGG file tag or externally in file folder? Is this issue random or specific only to some OGG files? If it is specific, could you supply testing files to us?
AnthonyM1229 wrote: Didn't the taskbar hover preview used to show a duration bar as well? I haven't seen that anymore in a few months. I don't recall when that went away. It might have been 4.1.18, but I'm not sure.
Right, just tested on Windows 7 and you are true that the duration bar isn't showing. It was lost between builds 4.1.17.1839 and 4.1.17.1840
Thanks for reporting! It's fixed, so will be included in the next build (1864)
AnthonyM1229

Post by AnthonyM1229 »

Thanks for the responses. I got Petr's message, and replied to him already.

The JPGs are stored externally in folders. And the issue seems random so far.

That's good about the duration bar coming back in 1864!

As for the album art issue, I'm not sure if testing files would really help, as the issue seems to be happening randomly. Would trying out a debug exe possibly help?
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi AnthonyM1229,

Can you confirm whether build 1864 solves the problem for you?

Thanks!

-Russell
AnthonyM1229

Post by AnthonyM1229 »

Oh yeah, I forgot to come back to this topic after my dialogue with Petr. After concluding my issues were no longer present in a debug build Petr gave me, I then tested 1864 after I saw it become available. It's working perfectly. My problem appears to be fixed. Thank you!