User Interface bugs and enhancements

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

gtbuzz

User Interface bugs and enhancements

Post by gtbuzz »

Nothing major just some annoyances when modifying lots of tags.

1) Ctrl-A doesn't work in text fields (like composer)
2) Why does the text box get selected all when the track changes. I'm modifying a tag, the playing music changes, and then I overwrite what I've already written. This is really frustrating.
3) Add a key combo to switch to the next track when editing tags.
4) Can auto-fill start over like at the beginning of the text box after a semicolon? Entering songwriters have lots of multiple writers and I ofter misspell them after the first.
5) Can auto-fill try to match on the entire name. Again lots of writers are credited by only their last name, but I may already have their full name (idea from Firefox 3's Awesomebar)

This one is less with editing tags but a general request.

Artist aliases. Occasionally an artist is referred to by multiple names (i.e. Sean Combs, Puff Daddy, P.Diddy, Diddy, ...). Most often this is a stage name and a birth name, but then they may be credited differently between fields (artist normally has stage name, but writing and producing credits often use birth names). Basically I would like a way to "link" artists. This would be a 2 way link, because all Sean Combs = Puff Daddy = P.Diddy. An extension to this would be associate a band with it's members (Beatles to Paul McCartney). This would be a 1 way link, because if I look at Paul McCartney I want to see where he was in The Beatles as well, but if I select The Beatles (or John Lennon) I don't want to see tracks by Paul McCartney.

As always, thanks for the great work. MediaMonkey is probably my favorite piece of software and you guys do great work.
gtbuzz

Re: User Interface bugs and enhancements

Post by gtbuzz »

Looking back, this should probably be moved to the Wishlist instead of the Bug forum...sorry about that.
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

gtbuzz wrote:Artist aliases. Occasionally an artist is referred to by multiple names (i.e. Sean Combs, Puff Daddy, P.Diddy, Diddy, ...). Most often this is a stage name and a birth name, but then they may be credited differently between fields (artist normally has stage name, but writing and producing credits often use birth names). Basically I would like a way to "link" artists. This would be a 2 way link, because all Sean Combs = Puff Daddy = P.Diddy. An extension to this would be associate a band with it's members (Beatles to Paul McCartney). This would be a 1 way link, because if I look at Paul McCartney I want to see where he was in The Beatles as well, but if I select The Beatles (or John Lennon) I don't want to see tracks by Paul McCartney.
There was a huge thread made looking for ideas and such on the whole Multiple Artist (;) thing, this topic was covered as well. You might take a look through it, then offer your ideas in there as well... even though you just did right there, ha. Multiple Artists, ';' separator, etc. - discussion
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

there's five custom fields that can be used for the different band's and the different names.
type them in there then when you search for the beatles all those will show up also.

but if as you said only want paul and wings then don't type the beatles in that song's properties, then it won't show up on a search for the beatles. but it would show up on a saearch for paul and wings.

so the use of custom fields is the most in your face sulotion to your trouble. at least the way i see what your request was. :)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
gtbuzz

Post by gtbuzz »

there's five custom fields that can be used for the different band's and the different names.
type them in there then when you search for the beatles all those will show up also.
Sort of, but I don't think that really solves the problem. Like I said it's a two pronged problem. Artists with different aliases, and members of bands. For me Paul McCartney pretty much == Wings, so that's not as big a deal, but I'd rather not put the "The Beatles" in a custom field for every song that have Paul McCartney involved. Now Beatles is a simple example because most everyone knows all the members, but what if I want songs that were written by Beatles. That means that I would have to put Beatles in the custom field for every song that has one of the Beatles as a writer as well. I know this would be information that wouldn't be stored in a tag, but currently we have Artists comments that I don't believe are tagged in a comment either.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

you have the composer tag for the that one.

you can just put the composer name in it if they are the fab 4 that composed it then you can put that in or the beatles. if just ringo or george composed it then put their name in, simple,
you could do a search for composers then.
or just the name and it would show up for the songs or should show up for the songs you listed that they composed.

you also have the second tab with the other fields for involved people you can put names in there and doing a search they would be found also.

to me the tags have really been thought out and added to in mm 3 way more then in mm 2.

even my newest skin has the 5 custom fields being shown on the player so what ever is in them will be scrolled across the player, not really large but large enough to read on the size of screen i made the player for.

but i have not seen anything you said so far that can not be done with tags.
i have every one of the songs hank williams wrote or sung and published. including the ones under his stage name of Luke the drifter. so i know the need for different artists to be linked.

also did you know that Ferlin Huskey is not really Ferlin Huskey? he used about 5 stage names,
i can't remember his real name it is listed some place but i don't remember where.
why even david seville the chipmunks, is not really david seville, they are all either Ross bagnas??? Sr. or Jr.
both done them. Sr. started them and after he died in 1972 Jr. took over. :D
so there are some that can really out do the need for linking because they used so many names.
i can feel your headache, i just use the tags and add in comments if need be.

8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
gtbuzz

Post by gtbuzz »

Again I disagree, but that's why it was a recommendation. Band members and performer aliases aren't really specific to a track, so it's not 3NF from a data perspective to have to keep all of that information in every track. And the cases we've mentioned are easy to track, but I don't want to have to remember every performers possible aliases or bands every time I tag a track with them. For example, Eric Clapton is a guest on a couple of tracks on a Christmas album I have. I don't want to put in that tag that he was in The Yardbirds, Cream, and Derek and the Dominos, because that information doesn't have anything to do with the track. The same is true of aka's. Being "able" to do something, and to do it in a way that is friendly and maintainable are 2 completely separate things.

Also it's one thing to add that type of information 1 time, but to remember it every time I add a new track or album just won't happen. That was just one of things I requested though and is certainly a "nice to have" to me.

The other 5 things I mentioned where UI changes and had absolutely nothing to do with tags.
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

+10000
Seven Ultimate X64 SP1 / Sansa Clip 2go (with RockBox)
Bex

Post by Bex »

Dreadlau wrote:
+10000
While in properties press ALT+left/right Arrow
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts
gtbuzz

Post by gtbuzz »

Bex wrote:While in properties press ALT+left/right Arrow
Thank You! I figured this existed, but couldn't figure it out. Already enjoying it.
gtbuzz

Post by gtbuzz »

2) Why does the text box get selected all when the track changes. I'm modifying a tag, the playing music changes, and then I overwrite what I've already written. This is really frustrating.
Figured out that the Pop-up Display was causing this problem. I disabled it when Mediamonkey is active and haven't had this problem any more.
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

Bex wrote:
Dreadlau wrote:
+10000
While in properties press ALT+left/right Arrow
MMM sorry, I know it's an old thread but

Is there a way to do it directly on the library pane (without having to open the properties panel first).
Seven Ultimate X64 SP1 / Sansa Clip 2go (with RockBox)