Process doesn't terminate when MM closes

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

Vorporeal

Process doesn't terminate when MM closes

Post by Vorporeal »

I'm having a nasty problem where the MediaMonkey.exe process doesn't terminate when I close MediaMonkey. I'm using the latest build, with no flash media or devices plugged in (I heard they could cause problems). I've tried killing the process with the task manager, process explorer, and the pskill program. Nothing does the job. I can open another instance of MediaMonkey, but it won't load my library. That instance will also never actually terminate. Not only does this mean that closing MediaMonkey keeps me from being able to listen to more music without restarting my computer, but I can't properly restart - Windows won't restart because it can't kill the MediaMonkey processes. The process also gets stuck if the program crashes for some reason or another. I can't figure out any way to fix this - anyone have any ideas?
nohitter151

Re: Process doesn't terminate when MM closes

Post by nohitter151 »

Do you use any 3rd party scripts or plugins?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Vorporeal

Post by Vorporeal »

Nope, I'm using a totally vanilla install.
fugusushi

Post by fugusushi »

i can't offer any suggestions, but this often happens for me too. Not to the extent that windows won't shut down, but MM doesn't seem to close properly - often putting the comp. to sleep and waking it up will fix it.. Actually I'd concluded it was an issue with Vista, rather than MM because it happens with Opera too. Vista seems to be a piece of trash in terms of OS...
knurly

Post by knurly »

After doing a Windows 7 upgrade I'm getting the problem of "there are background processes running. Do you want to terminate them?", but the mediamonkey process cannot be killed.

I've tried terminating in the Task Manager, and taskkill from the command line. Nothing stops the MM task. My system will not shutdown or restart because the process cannot be killed.

I've installed MediaMonkey_3.2.0.1292.exe but didn't help at all.

I've wasted better part of a day trying different things to resolve. At this point I've got to cut my losses and move on without MM.

Too bad: I've been a devoted user for several years, but if it causes this much instability I have to find something else to listen and manage my library.
Peke

Post by Peke »

@knurly
Please contact me on PM or over MM support, I'll be more than glad to try to help you directly.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Got the same problem with the last dev build...with Seven Home premium
knurly

Post by knurly »

Cyrus have you found anything that can kill the stuck MM process?

I don't understand how a process can persist like this. Even a forced kill: (taskkill -f) doesn't work.
If I could at least manually kill the MM process it would allow me to tolerate continue using MM until a true fix is achieved. But as it is, not being able to do a clean shutdown or restart of the system is something I will live with.
kapshus

Post by kapshus »

I am having a similar problem. I have vista with all current updates.

When I close MM, I get 'background processes are running. terminate them?'.

If I hit yes, it doesn't shut down. The process is still running. However, I can end the process thru taskmgr. This creates a program abnormal termination do you want to send a report to MS? chain of events.

None of my changes to mm setup stick from session to session. I have made changes to layout/view, as well as songs playing, but it goes back to a nearly default state, I'm guessing it's the last time MM ended correctly.

I have removed and reinstalled the latest Gold build. No change. I have no addons. Using the WMP11 skin.

This just started happening a week or two ago.
knurly

Post by knurly »

:D
I have resolved my problem.

I discovered my DVD/CDROM drive was not fully compatible with Windows 7, and was causing low-level hangs when any applications accessed it. In this case MM was obviously attempting to access the drive, but was also getting blocked -- and the process was hanging. This explains why the hung processes were so hard to kill: the hang was at a low device driver level.

Any process on my machine that attempted access to the DVD/CDROM would hang just like that exhibited by MM. It seems obvious to me now the DVD/CDROM was not functioning properly, but at the time I had just finished the Windows 7 upgrade, and had not put much mileage on all devices and applications. What is strange is the DVD drive worked well enough to do the Windows 7 upgrade. I guess the interim boot image drivers didn't have the same problem as the final OS drivers did.

My incompatible DVD drive is brand LG model GGC-H20L. I looked all around for updated drivers, but only found firmware updates. Turns out my drive is running the latest firmware anyway, so it is basically upsupported and worthless for use with Windows 7.

I replaced the drive with another drive compatible with Windows 7, and now my system and MM are behaving as expected.

Hope this helps anyone else experiencing a similar problem.

Post by Guest »

That's the solution... I had a DVDROM installation disk of SQL Server in my drive tray... I remoded it and MM is back on track... Now it's time for Jiri to fx that bug ! Because my drive is full compatible with Seven !
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

the previous message was from me...
kapshus

Post by kapshus »

I had a blank cd in my optical drive. Remove it, and all is well.

I have vista with the latest build, so I don't think it's an OS specific issue. If you want more details on my system for bug fix purposes, let me know.
70melbatoast

Post by 70melbatoast »

I'm having similar issues, although the DVD drive is a non issue since it is empty. Specs as follows:
Library is 24,000 tracks, 200+ GB monitored and auto-organized into one folder with alphabetical subfolders.
XP Home
2GB Ram
MM 3.2.0.1294 - vanilla install, no scripts/plug-ins, lifetime license

After scanning my library for the first time after doing a fresh format/reinstall of XP, I closed out of MM. Upon closing, the terminate background process message box came up (MM had finished scanning my library several hours prior to attempting to close the program down). After answering yes several times to close the program, I had to go into the task manager and kill it myself. I have also been having similar issues when adding FLAC albums to the library (see my other post). My library is stored on a FreeNAS backup server, however I don't think that this is the issue because the same issue happened when stored locally. Any ideas? :-?
Boywonder1

Post by Boywonder1 »

The DVD drive is definately the problem. Media Monkey is the only program that seems to have trouble with it. If there is no cd/dvd in my drive it works fine, but if something is in there while media monkey is running, my machine grinds to a halt. Library takes 10 times longer to load than normal, the DVD will show on Windows Computer even if it is taken out, VLC player will not load, Windows Media Player will also freeze and worst of all shutdown will not work at all (I have to hold down the power button to turn my machine off.) Will have to deny MM access to my DVD drive, which is annoying as sometimes I use it for ripping music that cannot be found in Windows Media Player. Incidentally my dvd drive is HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT20N, and it is up to date, OS is Windows 7. If my library settings were not confined to MM, I would pick another Media Player. It has definately put me off buying the Gold version which I wanted to get this month.