cpu running high

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

rovingcowboy

cpu running high

Post by rovingcowboy »

okay this has been gone over in the forums but here i am posting it as the bug it is.

as you know i got that brand new install on brand new hardware.

so there is nothing from any program history to mess up this is only in monkey.

1 i cleaned up all install related temp files and all other junk files.
2. started monkey up on this new system and found him slow.
3. looked at the task manager to find what might be wrong. looked at the tab then that shows the cpu usage
it was off the top of the chart. and page file was not even being used. so thought something ain't right.
4. removed all the os options for showing shadows on the menu and pointer.
5. removed all apps that don't need to run from the start up menu.
6. started monkey and checked the cpu tab again. this time it was 94 to 73 % usage so checked monkey out by turning him off and watching the grid fall to below ten to zero % usage
7 thought to try it backwards so i turned on monkey and got the same % as when he was running before.
8. thought to add other programs in the mix ans they all moved it only by 1 % point not the amount monkey moves it.
9 as i said this was all on the clean install with the xp computer os.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
70melbatoast

Re: cpu running high

Post by 70melbatoast »

Happy holidays to all!
I too am having similar issues as Cowboy.
Running:
Windows XP SP3
MM 3.2.0.1294
2GB Ram
Library consists of about 24,000 tracks about 75% MP3 & 25% FLAC stored and accessed via external hard drive.

The problem seemed to start after upgrading to 3.2. MM 3.2 runs great when playing music, or even while monitoring my music folder (CPU at around 30-35% when monitoring at initial program startup). This is perfectly normal for my PC - its a bit old. Music playback consumes about 2-4%.

My issue has been with adding new music to the library, specifically FLAC (it appears that this does not happen with MP3's). I D/L a lot of lossless music, specifically live shows from trade friendly bands. I will temporarily store the newly D/L'd music in a separate folder until I can properly tag it. When ready to tag and add to library I go into "My Computer" via MM's Tree and find the folder. From there I tag all the files, then when ready I right click on the folder in the Tree and select the "Add/Rescan tracks to the library..." option. As soon as it completes the transfer (and it usually does successfully), the CPU is pegged at 100%, when I attempt to close MM, I get a dialog asking me if i want to terminate background processes. Answering Yes or No has no effect, MM is still running at 100%. I have to go into task manager and kill MM.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Chad
Davo

Re: cpu running high

Post by Davo »

Also having similar issues - Sometimes when i'm tagging Flac files, other times it could be something simple like expanding the artist node. The CPU goes up to 90% & basically locks the system up until i use Task Manager to end the process.
David