Volume level analysis stops

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

GSV3MiaC

Volume level analysis stops

Post by GSV3MiaC »

Running 1303 on windows XP .. if I select a few dozen tracks and run 'analyse volume' MM will do three or four and then the background process just goes away without doing the rest., These are all VBR MP3 tracks which have already been analysed once, (so I am asking for anyalsis of all tracks, regardless). Anyone have any thoughts (apart from installing the debug version, yet again?)

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to which tracks it stops on.
Lowlander

Re: Volume level analysis stops

Post by Lowlander »

Either a corrupted file it hangs on or it skips all the ones already analyzed (check your settings if reanalyzing is enabled).
malachisecretspy

Post by malachisecretspy »

try tools/options/volume leveling and uncheck only analyse tracks with unknown leveling adjustment
GSV3MiaC

Post by GSV3MiaC »

As I said originally, I am asking for RE-analysis of all files, even those originally analysed. I guess it could be 'corrupt file' but in that case 99% of my LAME encoded (by MM) MP3s seem to be corrupt, despite burning, playing, and suchlike just fine - it's only volume (re)analysing which doesn't work. 8<.
malachisecretspy

Post by malachisecretspy »

GSV3MiaC wrote:As I said originally, I am asking for RE-analysis of all files, even those originally analysed. I guess it could be 'corrupt file' but in that case 99% of my LAME encoded (by MM) MP3s seem to be corrupt, despite burning, playing, and suchlike just fine - it's only volume (re)analysing which doesn't work. 8<.

if the tags already have values for replay gain the re analysis wont work if tools/options/volume leveling/ only analyze tracks with unknown leveling adjustment is checked
GSV3MiaC

Post by GSV3MiaC »

Yes I know that, that's why I specifically said I am asking it to RE analyse (even tracks where it is already set). I.e. I untick the box which says 'only analyse unknown tracks'. The box is unticked - the analysis still quits after a few tracks.

Interestingly it seems to get in a knot quite early, since the 'what am I doing' label on the 'background task bar' seems to stick on the first track name, even though it says 'doing 5 of 99' ... and then it quits.

Sounds like no-one has much of a clue, so maybe I better just run a debug version (hassle). I guess most people don't re-analyse already analysed MP3s?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

When I have done it in the past it worked just fine.
GSV3MiaC

Post by GSV3MiaC »

OK, if I reset the album art on all the tracks (select album, 'add to all', using the existing art) then the tracks will subsequently volume analyse OK. Although there is no indication that there is any art referenced which is misplaced (i.e. no 'album art' entries with blank/default pictures). Seems likely that the 'analyse volume' is tripping over something in album art which it is failing to deal with properly (although why it would care about that when just trying to analyse the volume, I have no idea .. maybe some developer does?).

To re-iterate, these are LAME-encoded MP3s (256Kb/s VBR, mostly). Those with no album art, not problem. Those with album art set - SOME of them have a problem (maybe if the art was updated or changed at some point?). Album art is (NOW) set to 'save in tag, or else if that fails in folder, under folder.jpg'. Historically it has been saved as albumname.jpg, usually in the folder.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »