"Level Track Volume" not working properly

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

bluesguy_1

"Level Track Volume" not working properly

Post by bluesguy_1 »

Hello, I had been using Mediamonkey 3.x for some time, and it seems that upgrading to Mediamonkey 4.0.0.1459 has broken the "Level Track Volume" functionality.

Problem: Track volumes are not leveled during conversion (e.g. from FLAC to MP3)

Steps to reproduce:

1) Take a FLAC file with a substantially high volume (e.g. would require -10db adjustment to fit 89db target volume)
2) Send to folder -> Rip/Convert -> target folder
3) Choose MP3 format, and check "Level Track Volume" option
4) After conversion, three things are apparent:
  • a) The track doesn't show +0.0db under "Track Volume" heading, as with previous 3.x Mediamonkey
    b) The volume is still noticeably loud when playing
    c) Right clicking the file and running "Analyze Volume" results in a -10db replay gain adjustment added to the file (as should have been applied to the file during conversion.
It's as if the "Level Track Volume" option is being completely ignored.

Anyone else experiencing this? I googled the heck out of this, but couldn't come up with anything. I can't be the only one experiencing this!

G

p.s. It sounds like almost identical behaviour to this post from this summer.
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... on#p294231
bluesguy_1

Re: "Level Track Volume" not working properly

Post by bluesguy_1 »

Wow. I find it hard to believe that no one has either seen this behaviour, or can duplicate the problem.

Anyone have any suggestions at all?
tommycrock

Post by tommycrock »

A late reply I know, but yes, I see this too. I just tried to convert two FLAC tracks in order to level their volume. Prior to doing this one was -4.8 and one -6.5 replaygain. After converting no volume analysis showed, on analysis the values were the same.
Addition info: both the level volume options were set to 'per track' mode. I have 'only analyse tracks with unknown leveling adjustment' unselected.
I was doing this for a compilation, because I usually just use replaygain in album mode.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I wouldn't expect the Track Volume to be available after convert. I Analyzed a -10.2 track after conversion and it is now -1.5 on MediaMonkey 4.0.7.1508.
tommycrock

Post by tommycrock »

Yes, :D It works on 1510. I was on 4.0.6.1501

Thanks
tommycrock

Post by tommycrock »

Scrap that comment, :oops:
It seems to me it works on album gain whether album gain or track gain are selected in the options. I suspect that's why you got -1.5, I bet album gain was -8.7. For the ones I reported before, album gain was 0 hence I got no change.
Because its converting it's different from the frame gain that's used in MP3s with the 'Level Track Volume' tool and can change the volume more accurately, so if it worked in track mode, track gain should be 0.0
Ruben

Post by Ruben »

Guys;

Same problem still on 4.0.7.1511. the problem is as described above... exactly. Moreover, i convert the flac song with XRECORDE applying 89db leveling (the same as number as set on MM) and when played one after the other, the MM "presumably adjusted" song is at higher level (as before), and the XRECORDE song is much lower.

Please help... I am going crazy!!!
tommycrock

Post by tommycrock »

There's a bug report for it here http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... etid=20617
But no acknowledgement of the problem and no response in the past 3 months, or even a message to say they would look at it. Originally reported Nov 2012