Podcast get tagged with "Blues" genre & crazy things

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

tobbbie

Podcast get tagged with "Blues" genre & crazy things

Post by tobbbie »

Hi, I use MM Gold since a long time and occasionally also download podcasts. Sadly I am really fed up with what happens there and I am out of ideas how to get this rectified. Here is what happens regularly:
1.) I add a podcast subscription, pick this one: http://www1.swr.de/podcast/xml/swr2/wissen.xml
2.) Start downloading all episodes
3.) List looks fine with title, date, all is well and consistent
4.) DL starts and tagging is delaying the download (the more parallel DL the more the tagging piles up)

Weird things kick in now:
1.) the more parallel DL (so it seems), the more episodes get tagged wrongly:
- Genre "Blues"
- Date truncated to just the year
- sometimes also the Podcast (album) is lost
Mind that the delayed tagging ruins the episodes that "look right" in the list already - it is driving me nuts, really!
2.) Repeating unsubscribe (with remove and manually remove any residues in the folder) and subscribe again will get the same behavior, but other files are sometimes treated incorrect.
3.) Sometimes episodes are downloaded more than once

I have an old PC (Single Core Pentium 4 (no Hperthreading), 2.6 GHz on XP with 2 GB RAM and large HDs) and I can't help the feeling that the parallel threading of DL and tagging gets things spoiled here.

I did already do DB cleanup - so what else can I do?!
Lowlander

Re: Podcast get tagged with "Blues" genre & crazy things

Post by Lowlander »

Which version of MediaMonkey are you running?
tobbbie

Post by tobbbie »

Oh sorry - this happens with the latest stable Version 4 - I think it started with V4 - can't remember similar problems with V3.

Getting back to Version 3 looks much better (now DL again) as there is no delayed tagging - will report after DL is complete.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I suggest you capture this in a debug log (step 4b) and send it to support: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69
tobbbie

Post by tobbbie »

Just to confirm - MM3 has no problems - Podcasts are downloaded just fine and no wrong tagging occurs. Will see how much I can add to the MM4 debugging this.
tobbbie

Post by tobbbie »

Luckily I noticed that MM3 has its DB stored at <user-profile>\Local Settings\Application Data\MediaMonkey, while MM4 has them at <user-profile>\Application Data\MediaMonkey - so they do both not conflict.
For simplicity this also means for me that I can do the podcast download with MM3 (I sync them all manually) and later use MM4 for the rest of actions (e.g. sync to my devices) where I had put some effort to after migrating from 3 to 4. As the target directories for the podcasts are the same for MM3 and MM4 the MM4 sync of files to DB will catch up the changes done with MM3 (I hope).

For debugging (which may take some time) I will set up another podcast and see how problems repeat there with MM4 multi-threading on single core (something rare these days...) and conflicting foreground and background priorities. I am almost sure that the foreground(?) download and the background(?) tagging will block each other in (not?) locking the database properly when background priority is lower than foreground. I also see occasional "lock ups" of MM4 without obvious reasons - could go back to the same root cause.
tobbbie

Post by tobbbie »

...now I remember that also with MM3 there had been problems when I updated all podcasts at once. This had stopped when updating each podcast one by one. MM4 spoiled it all on my PC...