4.1.4.1709 - APPCRASH when playing mp3 with double click

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

steveg_nh

4.1.4.1709 - APPCRASH when playing mp3 with double click

Post by steveg_nh »

Hi All,

I hope I submit this correctly, as I read how to submit a bug. I'm not sure if this is MM, or possibly something with Windows. But here's the info.

Windows 7 SP1 64bit, 16GB RAM, Intel Core i7, Dell XPS8300, 2 hard drives (WD Blacks), 1 DVD writer, Flash card reader. MediaMonkey 4.1.4.1709 in both debug versions and regular (same results). This OS was reinstalled two weeks ago, and MM has been a bit strange (these errors) since I did it.

When double clicking an MP3 file within its Windows folder, MediaMonkey will launch, but then crash. If I launch MediaMonkey manually, and play from within MM, it's ok. I have had MM crash on startup a few times, but that's very intermittent and hard to reproduce. I can ALWAYS get it to crash when double clicking the MP3 file.

MM doesn't generate it's own log, so I've captured it with DebugView. Also, upon closing the crash window (Windows saying the app crashed), I get a Windows error box saying the "Remote Procedure Call Failed." I've search and tried a few things without success.

I've sent the log into the help desk (I can't see how to attach it here).

Thank you.
steveg_nh

Re: 4.1.4.1709 - APPCRASH when playing mp3 with double click

Post by steveg_nh »

Just to add to this, I think I figure out what the problem is, just not the cause...

I also run TeamViewer, an app that allows me to remote control my PC from another location. While it was never a conflict before, it seems to be conflicting now after my PC rebuild. When TeamViewer is running, it crashes MM when I double click an MP3. When teamviewer is not running, MM is fine...Why the heck would a remote control app cause this type of trouble with MM? Are they fighting for the same resource?

I found an old post that referenced something similar, but the ticket wasn't available any longer.

Then there was this, that does seem to fix the problem (running MM in non skinned mode): http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... wont-start

But the UI is horrible. Just not clean and crisp, and I never had this problem before the rebuild...weird.
steveg_nh

Post by steveg_nh »

SOLVED it.

In reading the previous post I referenced carefully, disabling the quick connect button in team viewer (which I've never used, it's for screen sharing with one click), fixed it. MediaMoneky.exe was an app listed as incompatible in the config in teamviewer for this feature, so it would prevent MM from running properly (not a very graceful way though). Once I disabled the "feature" in TeamViewer, MM is working great with skinning. Finally.

I was talking to myself in this whole thread, but maybe if someone else searches with a similar problem, this will help them solve it.
Peke

Post by Peke »

You were not talking to yourself that is not uncommon issue with teamviewer.

Default is that TeamViewer puts an extra button in the top right of all windows. This button enables QuickConnect, which allows you to quickly share an application with a remote user. If you find the QuickConnect button too intrusive, you might want to disable it. To disable the QuickConnect button in TeamViewer:
- Right click the TeamViewer icon in the notification tray
- Click Options
- Click the Advanced tab
- Click Show advanced options
- Where it says QuickConnect button, click Configure…
- Deselect Show QuickConnect button to disable the QuickConnect buttons on all windows
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts

Post by Guest »

same problem
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi,

Can you elaborate? i.e. do you mean that clicking an MP3 file from within Explorer triggers a crash using MMW 4.1.12?

If so, can you generate a debug log as described at:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=69

That'll give us information needed to figure out why this is happening. Thanks.

-Rusty
TheAncient

Post by TheAncient »

Had a similar problem a couple of days ago:
If I start MediaMonkey first and then Teamviewer, everything works as expected.
If I run Teamviewer first and then try to start Mediamonkey, Mediamonkey will not start. The error message is not informative at all and merely states "Mediamonkey has stopped working".
This is only an issue when running the FULL version of Teamviewer. Everything works fine when using the HOST version of Teamviewer (run Teamviewer as a service)
I have not yet tried to disable the Quickconnect buttons (I only just found this thread) - My solution was, to load the HOST version of Teamviewer onto my laptop.
Peke

Post by Peke »

TheAncient wrote:I have not yet tried to disable the Quickconnect buttons (I only just found this thread) - My solution was, to load the HOST version of Teamviewer onto my laptop.
teamviewer insert software button that crashes MMW Skinning engine and UI. There should be way to exclude MMW from list of apps where it creates Button.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
TheAncient

Post by TheAncient »

I followed the instructions you gave earlier in this thread but in the "Advanced Options for working with Teamviewer", I cannot find a box to enable/disable QuickConnect buttons.
Are you sure your instructions still apply to the current version or is that something they have discontinued since you posted those instructions?
(This is not something super important. By running the HOST version of Teamviewer, I have effectively eliminated the problem for now.)
wormtowndj

Post by wormtowndj »

Just want to say thanks to the diligent individuals who figured this out. I can verify that this is still a problem with TeamViewer in late 2017, but the fix above solved it.