MM4 Keeps Stealing File Association Icons

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

dugn

MM4 Keeps Stealing File Association Icons

Post by dugn »

I'm updating my collection from MP3s to FLAC files and MediaMonkey is a huge part of doing this right.

I've changed my MP3 file icons to a plain icon and FLAC files to a colorful media icon (C:\Windows\SysWOW64\wmploc.DLL,24) to distinguish the two from each other. But when I start MediaMonkey (latest Windows version 4.1.27.1897), it overwrites the file type icon for my FLAC files every single time.

Many years ago, there used to be a checkbox I could uncheck to prevent MM from taking over the file associations. But that checkbox is long gone in newer versions. :(

How do I prevent MM from overwriting my desired file type icon for .FLAC files?
Totally Stuck in the 80's
Lowlander

Re: MM4 Keeps Stealing File Association Icons

Post by Lowlander »

Tools > Options > OS Integration. The option isn't available if you're running MediaMonkey as Portable Install.
dugn

Post by dugn »

I thought that too. There's nothing to change there. And the Force File Associations checkbox is gone from there. It's not a portable install. Clicking the big "Associate File Types with MediaMonkey" button at the bottom opens a Windows 10 dialog that doesn't help.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Looks like it's a Portable Install. I don't have a regular install installed to confirm.
pushpull

Post by pushpull »

I believe this is a Windows issue. With Win10, all file associations are handled (hijacked, you might say) by Windows. There is a way to change the icon for a file type.

Here is an article regarding this matter.

The article mentions this software from NIrsoft. So, this may get you the result you want.
Last edited by pushpull on Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
dugn

Post by dugn »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:15 pm Looks like it's a Portable Install. I don't have a regular install installed to confirm.
Not a portable install. Has never been a portable install in 12 years of owning MM.
pushpull wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:58 pm I believe this is a Windows issue. With Win10, all file associations are handled (hijacked, you might say) by Windows. There is a way to change the icon for a file type.
The article mentions this software from NIrsoft. So, this may get you what you the result you want.
This was helpful. I was already using this app to forcefully set my icons. But every time MM4 starts, it re-hijacks them. There used to be a setting in MM4 to prevent MM from forcefully reacquiring file associations, but that's gone.

The 'workaround' for this bug is to associate FLAC files with Windows Media Player (or any other app that doesn't aggressively steal file associations and actions like MM4), then change the icon. With MM out of the file association business for files I care about, it can't take over icons and associations it doesn't own. Even with all OS Integration checks removed, MM still forcefully grabs associations. This is a regression from previous behavior - previous behavior that was mitigated by the previous setting that has since been removed.

How do I file a bug to have this regression reviewed? Thanks!
pushpull

Post by pushpull »

So, I checked my MM on a XP machine for the checkbox you are talking about. Below is an image of the only thing I could find to which you may be referring, which is the check box regarding re-associating file types on start up. I know there isn't this box in Win10 MM. I still think this is a Windows issue as the "association" relates to the program that that particular file is associated with for it to run, that is the default program. I think the icons are a separate thing. With XP, things might have been handled differently to allow what you want. I could be wrong. I just post this picture to verify whether this is what you are referring.