Using skins with visual styles

If you want to contribute MediaMonkey skins, themes, icons, etc...

Moderators: Morten, Gurus

Fraxav

Using skins with visual styles

Post by Fraxav »

Hi,
I just installed a visual style for Win XP and I noticed that it has some 'confilcts' with the skins in MM (at least Glided and VistreousBlue):

Switching from the microplayer view to the main window, you can notice some space between the task bar and the bottom of the window. You can resize the window but it would solve the problem until the next switch from microplayer to main window. This is likely caused by the new taskbar being smaller in height then the default one for XP.
Here I highlighted a piece of that space that shouldn't be there.

The second flaw is given by some titles in the options menu: the character changes according to my visual style and since there's not enough space, it will end up in a truncated title.
Here you can see that the title (Playlist) uses the font of my visual style (if you cannot see it, trust me, it does) and this causes the sides of the word to be cutted off. Longer sentences are obviously a lot more unreadable.

The skin Blue Glass is not giving such problems (no empty space between window and taskbar; titles are not affectd, so I guess it's something a skinner could fix for it's skin.
So, it would be cool if Morten could fix it in Glided and than update the MM installer with the new version. Other skinners can also check their skins if they feel like.

P.S. Unlike VitreousBlue and Blue Glass, Glided changes its scroll bars according to the visual style, too. This can be cool, but it is not if your visual style is way different from your MM skin.

Have a good day you all.
I don't have no time for no MediaMonkey buisness...

Fraxav uses a Windows XP Home Edition SP2 on an Acer Aspire 5670 laptop with an Intel Core Duo T2300 (1.66 GHz) processor, ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 512 MB, 100 GB Hard Disc and 1 GB DDR2 Ram.
Eyal

Re: Using skins with visual styles

Post by Eyal »

Fraxav wrote:I just installed a visual style for Win XP
Hi Fraxav, can you provide more info please. What kind and which visual style? Maybe you can provide a link so we can try it.

Thanks
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
Fraxav

Post by Fraxav »

I'm not sure how a single style can help, since (i.e.) taskbars may have different heights. I guess skinners should instead set an option like 'always detect the right height'...I don't know.
Anyway, here it is. It a simple .msstyles file, so no special programs needed.

Fraxav uses a Windows XP Home Edition SP2 on an Acer Aspire 5670 laptop with an Intel Core Duo T2300 (1.66 GHz) processor, ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 512 MB, 100 GB Hard Disc and 1 GB DDR2 Ram.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

not mediamonkey skinning errors. 8)

microsoft is at fault :(

well i said m$ but i mean the one that created the skin for windows explorer. they changed things in it to make it look different. monkey is using the normal settings for the windows explorer shell. 8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Fraxav

Post by Fraxav »

All right cowboy, I thought the same thing too. But Blue Glass (one of the three skins boundled in the installer with MM3) works good (surely it has no font issues). So probably who made Blue Glass used something that can prevent the visual style to do whatever he likes (saying it in your way).
Other skinners could use it too.

DreadM

Post by DreadM »

Greetings

I think the scrollbar and combobox font problem in glided skin comes from the non skined/definated objects inside the Theme,mskn,so MM use the windows style.
For the main window i got no idea.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

Fraxav wrote:All right cowboy, I thought the same thing too. But Blue Glass (one of the three skins boundled in the installer with MM3) works good (surely it has no font issues). So probably who made Blue Glass used something that can prevent the visual style to do whatever he likes (saying it in your way).
Other skinners could use it too.
the blueglass that came with the install as far as i know and have seen is the original skin created along time ago.
and is not using the virtual tree like the gilded skin is.
so it would be more close to the windows explorer settings. just why it works is not known if that is not it.

try another skin that was made from the same ini file of the blueglass one. i think irishjet did a Boston skin from that blueglass one. see if that one works. :-?
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.