Remove

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

Me

Remove

Post by Me »

When I remove a song in the Library node, there is an option to delete only from Library (database) or from both Library and hard disk. However, when I try to remove a whole folder in the library node, the only option is to delete both library and hard disk files. Answering no cancel the remove command. Wouldn't be more consistent to have the same two options as we have at song-level ?
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi,
Good point--this brings up a question, when you deleted this folder from /Library/Locations/Path/Folder1, what do you think is being deleted:
a) The files that appear in the tracklist when folder1 is highlighted
b) All of the files in folder1 (even those that don't appear in the tracklist

Love to hear your feedback on this...

Rusty
Me

Post by Me »

I would think that it delete only files displayed in the tracklist... Otherwise, it would be a too much dangerous command to delete undisplayed files! :(

This said, it makes more sense NOT to delete any files by default from the Location node. IMHO, Location node refers mainly to the library (that is the information in the mdb database), while My Computer node refers more to files themselves. On a vocabulary point of view, there is a strong distinction in my mind between "Remove (...the info from the database)" and "Delete (...the file on the hard disk)", IYKWIM. It could however be an option for power user to change the default in order to remove both information and file with the same command.

Talking about dangerous command, the File | Clear Library is to easily accessible, again IMHO. I clicked on it by mistake quite a few times already (always answering No, fortunately) :-?
rusty

Post by rusty »

Thx for the feedback re. what you expect to be deleted--it's in line what other users have told me as well.

re. the whether the default for /locations should be remove from db only or remove from DB and filesystem, I tend to disagree with you, however, this is a much less critical issue.

re. the 'Clear Library' command, it's actually fairly safe--even if you click it and answer 'Yes', you're still promped a second time to type the letters 'YES' (must be capitalized).
Me

Post by Me »

re. default for /locations ( remove from db only or remove from DB and filesystem) -> at least an option even if default not changed ? :wink:

re. 'Clear Library' -> fine :D
rusty

Post by rusty »

I'll track the former issue, and hopefully we can fit it in at some point...
rusty

Post by rusty »

The outstanding issue has been fixed in Beta 5 which includes options for specifying exactly what is deleted.