Last.fm Now Playing display

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

TJOHO

Last.fm Now Playing display

Post by TJOHO »

Sorry for throwing suggestions out there without knowing if they are actually feasible, but I thought it would be really cool to have the last.fm Now Playing info integrated in a MM dockable window.

Usually, when I listen to music in MM, I also have the Last.fm software (the program, not the legacy Winamp plugin) open, with the Now Playing tab showing.
That way, when a new track starts playing in MM, if I am interested I can check out what album it is on (not necessarily the same as it is tagged with in my library), read the artist description, tags, similar artists, etc. So, it would be better if that window were integrated in MM.

I assume that part of the Last.fm software is a kind of specialized browser, pulling data from the last.fm site. If the way they've done that is open, maybe it could be possible to recreate as a MM plugin/script? Doesn't MM have an integrated web browser function?
tooscaredtotry

Post by tooscaredtotry »

I think it should be possible--I believe amarok has a similar function?
snacks

Post by snacks »

Hey, I've got a question a little off topic - I'd never heard of lastfm.com until I read the above post. Tried to check it out but can't get it to work with MM. Is it possible? Thanks in advance for any help.
Bex

Post by Bex »

Here's a last-fm thread about it, but read everything before you start:
http://www.last.fm/group/Media+Monkey/f ... 83/_/42120
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts
snacks

Post by snacks »

thanks a lot - got it to work, the key was "read everything before you start." I had been reading bits and pieces and then trying all solutions... I heeded your advice and found the answer further down - thanks again.
aidan_cage

Post by aidan_cage »

It would be pretty nice to be able to give the information to LastFM without actually running the silly little LastFM program..
now I don't like that I started using it initially!
MeMeMe

Post by MeMeMe »

There is an old winamp audioscrobbler plug in that works with MM 2 & 3, and doesn't need the LastFM player. I use it, and I'm sure someone must know where it can be downloaded from.
aidan_cage

Post by aidan_cage »

OH JOY!
I wonder if that links to my question to nohitter about the link he posted on his LastFM guide..
any thoughts on that? or whether I should choose the MediaLibrary option, or the General option when I am installing (I'll understand if you don't know what the refers to)
MeMeMe

Post by MeMeMe »

Nope, I don't understand twhat that refers to.

However, I think i have found the old Winamp plugin here.

Scroll down and select the WinAmp option.
aidan_cage

Post by aidan_cage »

yep
that is the one that gives me the option while installing
should I choose the Media Library option, or the General one?
I guess I'll just give'r a go and report back
Thanks again
MeMeMe

Post by MeMeMe »

At a guess, I'd go for the general one. The media library version might be written for Winamp-specific features.
aidan_cage

Post by aidan_cage »

just as a general "I here is stupid" comment
I'm pretty sure I just backed down because I have just gotten my system up to speed after a clean install of my OS
and I don't want to go around loading cr_p on just for giggles
but the option states tha the Media Library choice needs winamp 5.x and another plugin installed
whereas the general choice requires 2.9
here goes..
MeMeMe

Post by MeMeMe »

I just tested by installing both into my WinAmp folder, and found the general one is the one I've been using.

In case you don't know, remember to copy this file over to your MediaMonkey/Plugins folder.
aidan_cage

Post by aidan_cage »

yeah, so it installed in the directed directory
and when i loaded MM3, a window appeared, then flipped to the back
so I recalled it to the front with alt+tab, and put in my user info/password
and now I am playing my song and will check to see if it goes into my profile

this is what I wanted. No silly lastfm app that attaches itself to my monkey when it opens, then stays open when my monkey closes (like a bad little app)
cheers to all
aidan_cage

Post by aidan_cage »

why did I ever use the other one?
this is the best!
works like a charm so far
PEACE