Last.fm Plug-in & Auto-DJ testing (MM 3.0.x)

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

rusty

Last.fm Plug-in & Auto-DJ testing (MM 3.0.x)

Post by rusty »

Hi,

We're happy to begin a beta test period for a new plug-in / script combination that allows you to scrobble to Last.fm and generate Auto-DJ Playlists based on Last.fm (to learn about Last.fm, see: http://www.last.fm):

1) Last.fm Scrobbler plug-in. This is a native plugin that 'scrobbles' the tracks that you play in MediaMonkey to Last.fm, so that you can share your musical tastes with others, and get recommendations for new music from other users with similar tastes.

Download:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/

Installation:
-Install the latest beta of MediaMonkey (this has been tested with MediaMonkey 3.0.3 Beta 1, though it should also work with MediaMonkey 3.0.2)
-Double-click the downloaded file, and agree to install
-Go to Tools > Options > Last.fm Service to configure your username and password

2) Last.fm Auto-DJ script. This script allows you to automatically build playlists based on recommendations from Last.fm. It takes the last played track, and finds a top-rated Track from a similar Artist. It's a great way to listen to your collection without having to manually select tracks.

This script is largely inspired by the work of psyxonova who created the ScrobblerDJ plugin. Special thanks to Trixmoto and others for work on URL Encode, Dressen for SQL Query optimization and various corrections, and Technojnky & trixmoto for testing.

Download:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/beta/Last.fm ... .0.23.mmip

Installation:
-Install the latest beta of MediaMonkey (this has been tested with MediaMonkey 3.0.3 Beta 1, though it should also work with MediaMonkey 3.0.2)
-Double-click the downloaded file, and agree to install
-Go to Tools > Options > Auto-DJ and enable the Auto-DJ
-Set the Auto-DJ to Add 1 upcoming track to the Now Playing list
-Choose Add Tracks from: Last.fm DJ, and press configure to change settings
-Click OK until you exit the Options panel, and then Add a single track to the Now Playing list that you wish to seed your playlist, and start playing the track.

Enjoy!

-The MediaMonkey Team
Last edited by rusty on Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big_Berny

Post by Big_Berny »

Great news! Thanks! :)

Specially the second one is very nice and a cool addition for MM. I think a lot new users will like it! From the first one I personally expected a bit more. At least submissions for played songs on ipods would have been a cool addition. But ok, this can also be implemented later. :)

Big_Berny
Scripts in use: Genre Finder / Last.fm DJ / Magic Nodes / AutoRateAccurate / Last.FM Node
Skins in use: ZuneSkin SP / Eclipse SP
AutoRateAccurate 3.0.0 (New) - Rates all your songs in less than 5 seconds!
About me: icoaching - internet | marketing | design
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

:D :D :D :D :D

I'm using it right now. It works flawlessly.
I also think this will be apealling for new users :D

Thanks to all the poeple who have worked into this.
onkel_enno

Post by onkel_enno »

Seem to work here too, Thanks a lot.

But again the Password nicely readable in text form Image
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

Set the Auto-DJ to Add 1 upcoming track to the Now Playing list
Just a little question: Why only one upcoming track. What would happen if I put more. Like 5 for example?

Post by Guest »

I wanted to install the Last.fm plugin but it says the installation wasn't successful. I'm running the newest beta on Vista. Do I have to remove the winamp plugin from Last.fm first?
spacefish

Post by spacefish »

Nice! Looking forward to trying it out. :)
MM Gold 3.0.3.1183 : Vista HP SP1 (x86) : Zen Stone (2GB)
Zekton: An original MM3 skin by Eyal.
Scripts in Use: Add/Remove PlayStat | Auto Album DJ | AutoRateAccurate | Backup
Case & Leading Zero Fixer | Classification & Genre Changer | Clean Scripts.ini | Clear
Field | Custom Report | Discogs Auto-Tag Web Search | Forget Crossfade | Invert
Selection/Select None | Last 100... | Lyricator | Lyrics to Instrumental | MonkeyRok
MusicBrainz Tagger | My Custom Nodes | Now Playing Art Node | Play History & Stats
Right Click for Reports | Right Click for Scripts | Right Click for Web | Stop After Current
WebNodes
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

@Guest - if you're running on Vista you need to disable UAC or right-click and select "Run as adminstrator" to raise the permissions, otherwise some files cannot be edited, hence the error you're getting.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Ok answers:
@onkel_enno: Password Mask is on our To-Do list.

@Dreadlau: Last.fm have some limitation in continuous queries and 1 is only suggested value due to Script functionality that uses always last track in Now playing for search. Mainly it gives better control to MM

@Guest: You do not need to uninstall WA last.fm plugin but it is suggested to either disable or uninstall as last.fm have strict policies when you scrobble tracks to same username twice and will crop both submissions.

I only can say to enjoy and keep reports coming.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Bex

Post by Bex »

Thanks for this Peke. :)
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts

Post by Guest »

I've tried but I can't get the first one to work. Is there anything I could be doing wrong?
drjboulder

Post by drjboulder »

Anonymous wrote:I've tried but I can't get the first one to work. Is there anything I could be doing wrong?
Are you running Vista?
Are you using the latest Monkey, the one in my sig?
D Rock
MediaMonkeyGoldv3.0.3.1183
Vista Home Basic|4thGen 20GPod
Zune Small Player Skin w/ Aqua 4 Player Mod
Backup | Last FM Node | Scrobbler DJ | TopTracks | StayInSameStyleDJ
RadioDJ | RadioFreeMonkey | PrettyPictures | MiniLyricsEmbedder
LyricsViewer | Lyricator | LyricsPlugin | VisualizationEmbedder | MonkeyRok
RightClickForWeb | WebSearchPanels | WebNodes | MagicNodes | FavoritesNodes
NowPlayingArtNode |AutoRateAccurate | TaggingInconsistencies
AdvancedDuplicateFind&Fix | CaseModify | PlayHistory&Stats | Etc...
Wargazm

Post by Wargazm »

Awesome, thanks!

suggestion: it'd be great if the last.fm configuration screen could show you the last few tracks it has sent to the server.
MarineBrat

Post by MarineBrat »

Peke wrote:@Dreadlau: Last.fm have some limitation in continuous queries and 1 is only suggested value due to Script functionality that uses always last track in Now playing for search. Mainly it gives better control to MM
When I do set it to more than 1 I get lots of dupes coming up. But so far 1 at a time has worked nicely.
spacefish

RE: last.fm plugin

Post by spacefish »

Very nice! I love the added touch of showing the now listening line which I only got with the client before. Unfortunately, it only worked on the first track played and tracks are not scrobbling. I did get an error message a couple of times while playing tracks. I have sent you the debug logs.

Using Windows Vista Home Premium, no errors on installation. I can see the plugin in the General Plugins folder and I did see the Now Listening data the very first track I played, but nothing since and no scrobbling. I have removed the old Winamp plugin because disabling it did not appear to be sufficient.

Reinstalling while running MM as admin produced an error so I thought I'd need to uninstall it to reinstall it. I tried uninstalling the plugin through the Extensions dialog and though it removed it from that window, it did not uninstall it. Reinstalling again produced an error and I am still not scrobbling, though the first track played at the beginning of each new session appears on the Now Listening line on my profile.

Is anyone else running this and AutoRateAccurate at the same time? I think there's a conflict. When do you submit the track to last.fm? AutoRateAccurate rates the previous track when the next one plays. If you're also sending at that time, the two processes appear to be colliding. I've never had a problem with AutoRateAccurate before.

Couple of questions:

Why is there no include/exclude dialog? Besides my Music folder, I have one other in my MM library that I never want scrobbled. This is my unsorted folder with tracks that need to be cleaned up and then organized. I rarely play tracks from this folder but occasionally I'll need to play a track to identify it in some way. I would not want those tracks to scrobble. Finally, I never want to scrobble CDs.

Where does the plugin log and/or cache data reside? You are caching data at times when last.fm is not receiving, right? I ask because I'm not scrobbling at the moment and often looking at the log helps with troubleshooting. I've looked in various places for a log pertaining to this plugin but haven't found anything. If you're not creating one, however, I guess we have a problem. :(

Too bad. I really wanted this to work. Unfortunately, without log data, I can't really begin to understand what might be happening.
MM Gold 3.0.3.1183 : Vista HP SP1 (x86) : Zen Stone (2GB)
Zekton: An original MM3 skin by Eyal.
Scripts in Use: Add/Remove PlayStat | Auto Album DJ | AutoRateAccurate | Backup
Case & Leading Zero Fixer | Classification & Genre Changer | Clean Scripts.ini | Clear
Field | Custom Report | Discogs Auto-Tag Web Search | Forget Crossfade | Invert
Selection/Select None | Last 100... | Lyricator | Lyrics to Instrumental | MonkeyRok
MusicBrainz Tagger | My Custom Nodes | Now Playing Art Node | Play History & Stats
Right Click for Reports | Right Click for Scripts | Right Click for Web | Stop After Current
WebNodes