Does Anyone use Sonos?

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

sunspot

Squeezebox Controller

Post by sunspot »

That looks nice, though at $600 for a Squeezebox and a Controller, it's not really much cheaper than a Sonos.

I keep waiting for Apple to release an iPod-like remote control for either the AirPort Express or the AppleTV. Alternately, you'd think someone could hack together an iPod-like remote using the wireless capabilities of the iPod Touch itself.
cmx

Post by cmx »

nothing comes close to the Sonos controller...it is essentially a handheld computer and display with wireless connectivity....BUT

This is a little IR remote that is supposed to work with iTunes and Airports:

http://www.keyspan.com/products/urm17a/

I have not used this but it is referenced as compatible with Remote Speakers:

http://emilles.dyndns.org/software/out_apx.html

which can access multiple Airport Experesses and remotely controls volume of output plugin....I DO use "Remote Speakers" as my output..it works great..although gapless playback output as with MM's output plugin is not available...( Would it be possible to output an output plugin to another output plugin?)

I have "Enhanced Output" control in the wishlist forum here. It really would be great if MM could integrate an output "matrix" functionality ...it seems appropriate to the "mission". This "convergence" and utility for the user is long overdue in my opinion. The Sonos system is great...and there are othe products specific to itunes and others such as the remote referenced above. For me the same problem that brought me to MM from other players is the problem...due to size nothing but MM can really handle my library....also a large part of our music experience has become "exploring"...which MM is essential for.
tinana

Post by tinana »

I use a somewhat less expensive and less than ideal workaround.

I have an iphone. With the latest version of Airfoil and the Airport Express, I'm able to get most of the functionality the Sonos system offers using a program by Alloysoft called Signal, which lets you use the iphone/itouch as a remote on which you can rate songs, see genres, artwork, control volume, etc. The only drawback is that Signal works with iTunes, Winamp, or Windows Media Player, and not MM specifically. To the extent that Winamp and MM share some things in common, I can see and control what's loaded into the "Now Playing" window in MM via my iphone, but I have more controls and features if I use Winamp (or one of the other two above-mentioned players).

Also, with Signal, besides the iphone you can also use an iPod touch, or a Windows Mobile Pocket PC as your remote.

Signal-..............................25
Airfoil-...............................25
Airport Express.................100
ipod touch/iphone.....~250/400

I'm not a fan of Apple, and certainly wouldn't buy an ipod touch or iphone (mine was a gift) just for remote capabilities, but since I already had one, for an extra 150 dollars or so, I'm pleased with the ability I have to listen to my music library away from the computer and throughout the house.
MM Gold/Lifetime member
laryu

Post by laryu »

I've got a Sonos system, too. I have 4 zones (1 ZP80; 3 ZP100) playing music stored on an NAS. My wife and I each a laptop and use MM to manage ripping CDs and tagging of music stored on the NAS.

IMHO, the Sonos can't be beat for ease of initial setup, the slickness of the remote, and how well the mesh network works. You never have to think about the network and the technology just disappears. Anecdotally, I've heard of others who have trouble getting their Slim Squeezebox talking to their network. Haven't heard much about Roku but would be interested in hearing if others have had experiences. Before the Sonos, I had an Audiotron, which I also loved! If anyone has specific questions on the setup, let me know.
Kaone

Post by Kaone »

Hi Laryu,

I'm now looking to buy a Nas drive for the Sonos system rather than having to leave my pc on continually.

Could I ask - which one do you use and are you happy with it?

Thanks
laryu

Post by laryu »

I've got a LaCie Ethernet Disk Mini. It's rackmounted. Quick to setup and have not had any problems with it.
etjw

I have Sonos and I love it

Post by etjw »

It's all about the network drives. I'm up to about 800gig (backed up of course) of rips of my own CDs (I always encode to flac level 8 - lossless is the only way to go) plus torrents I've downloaded (I don't even bother burning those to CD anymore). If I want portability I load it into my iPod (one of the best things about MM imo - iPod support). I'm gradually extending the Sonos network by purchasing new stations.

After much debate I decided to store the MM database on NAS drive along with the music files. This makes it accessible to each computer in the house. With a laptop and the Sonos desktop software, you don't need a controller. Of course, I like the controller design very much and use it all the time - but it is a tad pricey.

As far as fidelity is concerned, I don't hear any problems but I haven't done a blind listening test. Any audiophiles out there care to comment? Is Sonos doing any lossy compression?
Nonreality

Re: Squeezebox Controller

Post by Nonreality »

sunspot wrote:That looks nice, though at $600 for a Squeezebox and a Controller, it's not really much cheaper than a Sonos.

I keep waiting for Apple to release an iPod-like remote control for either the AirPort Express or the AppleTV. Alternately, you'd think someone could hack together an iPod-like remote using the wireless capabilities of the iPod Touch itself.
It's actually $400 for a Duet which is a Controller and a Squeezebox without a display. The display is on the remote. If you have a decent stereo and speakers the Squeezebox is awesome. Very good quality. I use MM gold to organize, dbpoweramp to rip and convert and the Squeezebox to play wireless to my stereo. It works great and if my computer is off I use the Squeezebox to access Pandora and other Internet stations.
khismet

Post by khismet »

question for the Sonus + NAS guys - how is the Sonus authenticated to the NAS unit?

IE, if I set the NAS up with various shares & different levels of access for different familiy members / types of file etc, how does the Sonus log onto the NAS with the appropriate user privileges? Does it require the share to be open to anyone to read, does it mandate as specific user ID / password, or do something else?
laryu

Post by laryu »

It does not need to be an open share. So you can setup your permissions on the NAS however you'd like. Then, when you add the NAS network share to the Sonos, you enter a username/password for the appropriate permissions.
khismet

Post by khismet »

Excellent - that's exactly what I wanted to hear
woodyskw

Re: Does Anyone use Sonos?

Post by woodyskw »

Hi - not sure if anyone on this forum can help - I have Sonos S3 and Bridge working fine in conjunction with Mac & iPad controller Ap. I also have Airport Express wired in to my Hi-Fi and have previously used Airfoil to "broadcast" the itunes library through the Hi-Fi amp & Speakers. I would like to broadcast via the Airport Express so that play can be synchronised from any new Sonos devices and also via hard wired speakers running from the amp. Any idead gratefully recieved!