output plug-in not syncronizing with default device :(

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

donector

output plug-in not syncronizing with default device :(

Post by donector »

hello i'm using version 302.1334

i use an usb external sound card (it is inside my usb mixer: http://www.numark.com/dm950usb[/url])

whenever i plug or unplug the usb sound card, ms windows changes automatically set it as the new default sound card to use... so all programs will play accordingly

however mm3 doesn't follow the system change and becomes useless, the only way it refreshes the current sound card to use is by restarting it or trying t change it manually at least 2 times...not quite comfortable way to solve it

before,with mm2, whenever windows changed its default sound card automatically, mm would also be updated and use the new default sound card. but as i said now it loses track to what sound card to use, : it sort of crashes: keeps going through the songs greyed out without control

NOTE: the switching from sound card on mm2 takes effect while stopped or in between songs, if the change happened while playback, naturally it'd keep playing with the internal sound card until the next song comes, when it'd start using the external sound card
Peke

Post by Peke »

USB Sound Cards are tricky as they change Device ID often:
More info on that in knowledgebase here.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
donector

Post by donector »

Peke wrote:USB Sound Cards are tricky as they change Device ID often:
More info on that in knowledgebase here.
mmmh
noted

but i wonder....mm2 worked perfectly with them!

i think it shouldn't be necessary to access the sound card by their id... there is the "default device": that should be a a global variable that should be the same to access all the time. windows is the in charge o associationg this variable to a given sound card

am i right?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Yes and no. You are Right about Default but some features uses Advanced Buffering of DirectSound which is tied to DirectX Device ID :( This will be most likely revised in future. MM2 used old output plugin which is changed in MM3.

Anyway this can be classified by some sort of Regression.
Best regards,
Peke

Post by Guest »

I found out from the audio troubleshoot you pointed that the output plugin can be changed to the one from windows one

i did that and now it doesn't have the problem

i wonder: besides the above, what's the difference of using mediamonkey's or windows output plugin?

thanks
Peke

Post by Peke »

Can you explain what exactly you have changed?
Best regards,
Peke