Database Export\Import\Sync(DEISync) v2.3.5 (09-10-08) [MM3]

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

nynaevelan

Re: Database Export\Import\Sync (DEISync) v1.8 (12-06-08) [MM3]

Post by nynaevelan »

martialartsguy wrote:Just double-checking before I attempt to use this script:

If I have ALL my tracks on an external HD, I'm still going to have to drag it back and forth between home and work, correct?

My work doesn't like it too much when I clog their database with mp3s.
Martialsguy:

Ever since I started using this script I only bring my external home when I have done some major editing on tags (more than 100 tracks). I use my mp3 player as the carrier for my database exports and any new tracks which I have added to the library. My normal processes are as follows:

Monday: Do a complete database export, copy the database and all new tracks to the player for transport. Copy the new tracks to the external at work. Overwrite the db with the new db. Run a complete database export immediately after. Check the dead links node to make sure there are no missing files (I usually end up with a few due to file name discrepancies). At the end of the day, run an export sync and then import this at home.
Tuesday - Friday: Do a export sync, copy the database and all new tracks to the player for transport. Copy the new tracks to the external at work. Run an import sync. Check the dead links node to make sure there are no missing files (I usually end up with a few due to file name discrepancies). At the end of the day, run an export sync and then import this at home.

The only thing I do on my work db is play tracks or maybe make some playlist changes, I do not do any tag editing or additions from work.

Hope this helps,

Nyn
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files
martialartsguy

Post by martialartsguy »

Nyn-

Thanks a ton, yeah, that helps a lot. I'm always tweaking my files (just a little OCD sometimes), so I doubt this script would help a whole lot. Plus I'm only running a 30gb Zen which doesn't hold anything near to what I have on my external.

Thanks for the quick response-

Brian
MM Gold since 2006
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

Your Zen should be able to handle your db and any files which you have to transport. Would you be doing more than 30gb of adjustments at once? Once you bring it home the first time to ensure your files are in sync, you should be able to follow a similar pattern as mine. Although my player is a 60gb, so far there was only 1 time that I have more than 100 files at once. What process are you using now to keep your home and work computers in sync? Or are you doing as I was previous to using this script, just not updating any playcounts/playlists at work and losing anything that I did there and at the end of the week bringing the drive home to overwrite all the tracks? My db is currently @60 mb, so it fits nicely on my Zen and the Zen has the ability to act as a storage device.

Nyn

martialartsguy

Post by martialartsguy »

Nyn-

Right now I have MM running on my external HD. I do a backup at close and just copy/paste the .ini file to the standard location before starting it up at either computer. This way everything syncs up to where I'm at, I can have all my unrated and untagged music in one place that's portable, etc. The difficulty: I ride my bike to work every day, and given the number of close calls I've had, it's likely I'll get hit and break the HD! :wink: The other issue is that I really do tweak whatever I'm listening to when I'm sitting at the computer, from lyrics to comments, etc.

Hope that makes sense. What I really need to do is buy a 100+ gb mp3 player. But then there's the economy...
MM Gold since 2006
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

You only transport the ini file, what about the database file? Prior to using this script I never updated the ini file since I have them both setup the same way. Using this script, you would only need to transport the db file and any new tracks which are not on the external drive. You do not need to transport the files any existing tracks which are on the external drive. After you import the new db on the external drive, you can go to the Files to Edit --> Last Imported Tracks (Need Syncronisation) node to update the tracks on the external drive to the changes in the db from the export. You shouldn't need more than 5gb of space on your Zen, and you would only need that much if you are copying a lot of files. If you have the tracks on your Zen, you wouldn't necessariy have to copy them but I do because of my file structure, I find it easier to look in the Zen's storage device folder rather than all the folders that my music resides in. Plus the export has a log which tells you all the files that are exported as well as their location.

Using the script is not really that complicated, actually it's made my processes much easier. The hardest part for me is remembering to start the export sync before I leave.

Nyn

MoDementia

Re: Database Export\Import\Sync (DEISync) v2.0 (29-06-08) [MM3]

Post by MoDementia »

New Version

' 29-06-08 Version 2.0 (Includes 1.9 changes)
' Import Playlists From ANY Backup MM3 Database

{EDIT] The backup database needs to be in the same add/rescan cycle as the current database or the internal references to the tracks will be misaligned.
Auto playlists won't be affected.

Download from the first post
Last edited by MoDementia on Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

MoDementia wrote:New Version

' Import Playlists From Backup Database

Sure, come up with a new version when I am too disgusted with MM to test it out. :-? :wink:

Nyn

MoDementia

Post by MoDementia »

nynaevelan wrote: Sure, come up with a new version when I am too disgusted with MM to test it out. :-? :wink:
Nyn
Aww, come on, its really cool :P

{EDIT]Besides you owe me for interupting my train of thought a million times while I was working on it :roll: :P
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

MoDementia wrote:
{EDIT]Besides you owe me for interupting my train of thought a million times while I was working on it :roll: :P
LOFL :lol: , now for that I am going to have to test it sooner. Just to show I am a team player, I am going to overwrite my db from two days ago, so that all I would have to do is rescan all the new tracks. And I will have the bonus of importing the playlists from the non-leveled db of today. And as a bonus, I will take credit if any errors are discovered because I kept interrupting your train of thought. :wink:

Nyn

MoDementia

Post by MoDementia »

{EDIT] The backup database needs to be in the same add/rescan cycle as the current database or the internal references to the tracks will be misaligned.
Auto playlists won't be affected

I hope you haven't chosen a test that will fail :( See [EDIT] above
nynaevelan wrote:I am going to overwrite my db from two days ago, so that all I would have to do is rescan all the new tracks. And I will have the bonus of importing the playlists from the non-leveled db of today
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

I would NEVER choose a test to fail, but with that update in mind I will have to change my testing tactics. Luckily the only changes I made to playlists in the last two days were editing adjustments. So I haven't lost anything, except I will need to add some fake plays because I have no doubt Tagging Inconsistencies will find some. Enough for tonight I'm off to bed, will tackle this tomorrow with a new day and a new outlook. Have a good one.

Nyn

nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

Auto playlists won't be affected.

Worked like a charm, although not as I expected. :P But I love the possibility to import all playlists in the structure that they were in. Thanks for this one. 8) :P

Nyn

martialartsguy

Post by martialartsguy »

nynaevelan wrote:You only transport the ini file, what about the database file?
I have everything (tracks, db file, etc.) on the external HD. That way, the only thing I really need to move to the computer is the .ini file.

In any case, thanks for the walkthrough of the script. Much appreciated!

-Brian
MM Gold since 2006
MoDementia

Re: Database Export\Import\Sync (DEISync) v2.1 (05-07-08) [MM3]

Post by MoDementia »

New Version

' 05-07-08 Version 2.1
' Import Playlists From M3U Single File or Directories
' Should also be compatible with Right Click For Scripts (soon)
' Hotkeys can be set via tools --> options --> Hotkeys

Thanks to Trixmoto for use of some of his code:
' M3U Read Code taken from Trixmoto's Import M3U 3.1 [MM2+3]
' http://mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6650

nynaevelan

Re: Database Export\Import\Sync (DEISync) v2.1 (05-07-08) [MM3]

Post by nynaevelan »

My oh my!!! I get updates to two of my favorite scripts on the same day, is it my birthday or something?? :D 8) :P

Nyn