UPNP server for MediaMonkey (v0.2)

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

botijo

UPNP server for MediaMonkey (v0.2)

Post by botijo »

UPDATE MM does have support for UPNP serving, so this script is not going to be developed anymore. Actually, it hasn't been updated for a long time.

Hi, everyone,
I have coded an UPNP server that collects data directly from MM. It works for my Roku Soundbridge, so I am happy with that. You can find the server at the bottom of my webpage. I will post newer versions there. Unfortunately, this is not a script but a C# programm. You can have both the binaries and the source code for free. Please send in comments if you see something flaky.
Verion 0.2 is out.
2008/08/08 v0.1
* Initial version.
2008/08/15 v0.2
* Album art
* Added more info from tags
* Artist list only displays artists with one album or more (similar to album artist!)
* Changed the webserver into an asynchronous one
Last edited by botijo on Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:45 am, edited 4 times in total.
botijo

Re: UPNP server for MediaMonkey

Post by botijo »

Some days, possibly none interested? However, I am doing some good progress, with help of the people on this very forum. As a clearly visible UPNP client, I have choosen the not so reliable XBMC Windows port.
This is the Album view:
This is the Artist View, after clicking on AC/DC (Hell awaits us):
And this is one of the Albums playing:
There are still some rough edges to clean up for v0.2, so I am not posting anything yet! As you can see, the genre field is wrong, plus the date format is not being recognized properly. Whenever it is ready, I will post it.
For v0.3 I plan to implement the search function. And I think I will stall there.
Thanks for reading.
Miki

Re: UPNP server for MediaMonkey

Post by Miki »

Damn man, been looking for something like this for a while.

Looks pretty as well :P

Will this work okay with your UPNP Client script?

Mike.
botijo

Re: UPNP server for MediaMonkey (v0.2)

Post by botijo »

Version 0.2 is out. Check the links at the first post.
There are some things that still are not perfect. I changed the web server. Somehow, OGG files are not being served properly. I will need to check further on that.
And it works with my script, although I suppose I better add some more error checking.
Miki

Post by Miki »

What port is the page on, ive got it launched, as well as MM, but i cant seem to connect to it.

Any help?

Cheers, Mike.
Diabolic-Destiny

Post by Diabolic-Destiny »

will this ever work with xbox360? I mean like is that even possible?
botijo

Post by botijo »

Well, people have made other UPNP servers work with the Xbox360. As far as I remember, you need to implement some MS specific functions (something about authenticating or some obscure thing). I remember one webpage that explained how to do that, but I lost it. Maybe you can help me find it again?
botijo

Post by botijo »

Miki wrote:What port is the page on, ive got it launched, as well as MM, but i cant seem to connect to it.

Any help?

Cheers, Mike.
The program is an UPNP/HTTP server combo. The UPNP server is on the default port (I should not change it!), while the HTTP server is at port 5050.This http link should give you the first song in MM database.
What was the client you tried?
Miki

Post by Miki »

trying with wmp 11. the server shos u in the natork sharing center thing, on vista, but on clicking it it loads my wmp library, and i cant see the MM one. Ill mainly be using the web port, ill try when i get back today.

thanks for the help, Mike.
botijo

Post by botijo »

botijo wrote:Well, people have made other UPNP servers work with the Xbox360. As far as I remember, you need to implement some MS specific functions (something about authenticating or some obscure thing). I remember one webpage that explained how to do that, but I lost it. Maybe you can help me find it again?
I think I got it... But as I do not have an Xbox360 for testing, so I cannot tell if what I do is right.

As for milestones of the project, I would like to see a version 1.0 that can be validated as an A/V UPNP server (not everything is implemented yet!), and for 2.0 I would like to have trascoding in it (I have too many OGG files for my own sake). Xbox360 support would be nice to have before 1.0, but there is no way I can do that by myself.
Miki wrote:trying with wmp 11. the server shos u in the natork sharing center thing, on vista, but on clicking it it loads my wmp library, and i cant see the MM one. Ill mainly be using the web port, ill try when i get back today.

thanks for the help, Mike.
Maybe the Xbox360 and WMP11 issues are the same? You know, both are supposed to work together! About the http port, please remember the server does not give you any HTML files! The idea is to use a webserver (somewhat simple) to send files over the network. So you cannot use the UPNP webserver inside a web browser. If this feature is important to you, please code it yourself. The source code is free to get, to compile and to modify.
Miki

Post by Miki »

I see, got it sorted playing songs through a web browser, had to modify my firewall.

Can't get it to work with WMP 11 though - about to try on my pocket pc, as it can see UPNP servers, so ill report back and tell you if its WMP or if its me :)

Thanks for your help, Sorry about the spelling on my previous post, was extremely tired :P
SanderAnt

Post by SanderAnt »

Does this work with MM2? I haven't upgraded on my main machine yet, and I'd like to read up more since there are somethings that seem much different, which I use frequently on v2.

Thanks for your hard work. UPnP gets a bad rap, but is sooo useful.
PhilDG

Post by PhilDG »

I can get the server up and running and can connect with my Buffalo LinkTheater but don't get any content! Any ideas?
irshjet35

Post by irshjet35 »

can you explain how to install this and how its supposed to work
botijo

Post by botijo »

irshjet35 wrote:can you explain how to install this and how its supposed to work
Installation should be fairly easy: there is a setup.exe in the ZIP file. Somehow, the installer installs the server under "Microsoft" (I am using the free tools, so that could be the reason!). Just run it from there. If MM has not started yet, it will start from there.
Regards.