Custom Ratings Panel v2.1 (01-09-08) + Switch Ratings [MM3]

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

MoDementia

Custom Ratings Panel v2.1 (01-09-08) + Switch Ratings [MM3]

Post by MoDementia »

No Longer Available
Last edited by MoDementia on Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:15 am, edited 6 times in total.
PabloF

Post by PabloF »

Amazing! I tried and I'm using it. Thank you, MoDementia!

Raegards,

Pablo
MoDementia

Switch Ratings

Post by MoDementia »

I have added a new script to this thread called "Switch Ratings"

It is a variation of the Custom Ratings Panel (without the panel)
It updates the ratings in the main track list with the selected users ratings.

There is a right click menu to switch ratings from 1 user to another

When the script is first run you need to assign the current ratings to a user, after that you can just choose a user from the dropdown list or enter an new user.
New users start with all unknown ratings.

There is a Tree Node indicating whose ratings are currently active.

It will not work for multiple users on different computers sharing a database. i.e. It won't work for concurrent users.

Switching Ratings with a library of ~ 19k tracks took 20 secs.

Please be sure to backup your database using this script.
MCSmarties

I can't figure it out!

Post by MCSmarties »

Hi MoDementia,

This script is a brilliant idea but I would like to know more about it before I use it routinely.
I have installed both the Custom Ratings Panel and the Switch Ratings script.
So far I like the Switch Ratings script much better, it's much more discreet.

Some questions:

1. Can I limit which custom fields are displayed in the Panel?
I already use Custom 1-3 for other purposes and if I click on one of the already assigned fields,
the tag entry is immediately overwritten with a rating! Not good :-(

2. Using Switch Ratings, WHERE ARE THE ALTERNATE RATINGS STORED? They don' t show up in the custom fields.

3. If I move the songs to a different computer, can I recover all ratings? How? By entering the user string?
I would like to use this in a networked environment, is this possible - and if yes, how do I need to set it up?
Do I have to use the same databse across all computers or can I combine this with either the VirtualCD or NAS approach?

4. Is there a way to directly compare and copy/switch the different user's ratings?
Again, the alternate ratings don't show up in the tag editor panel... Ideally, I would like to duplicate all existing ratings
for all users (as a starting point), then each user can tweak them to his heart's content.

I looked at the vbs code of the scripts but couldn't figure them out.

Thanks a lot for your help, I hope I can get this to work as it's exactly what I've been looking for to share my database with my girlfriend.

EDIT:
5. Can I use this in combination with AutoRateAccurate?
MoDementia

Re: I can't figure it out!

Post by MoDementia »

MCSmarties wrote: 1. Can I limit which custom fields are displayed in the Panel?
I already use Custom 1-3 for other purposes and if I click on one of the already assigned fields,
the tag entry is immediately overwritten with a rating! Not good :-(
There is a fair bit of editing of the vbs file to limit which fields are displayed. I can add the functionallity in a few days time if you decide to use this script.
MCSmarties wrote: 2. Using Switch Ratings, WHERE ARE THE ALTERNATE RATINGS STORED? They don' t show up in the custom fields.
They are stored in the database in seperate tables. The "main" MM ratings are over written for the other tables when you switch users.
It's like having 2 databases with only the ratings different.
MCSmarties wrote: 3. If I move the songs to a different computer, can I recover all ratings? How? By entering the user string?
The panel ratings are stored in the custom fields so a rescan will add them all back to the database.
The switch ratings you will have to migrate the same database (another script).
MCSmarties wrote: I would like to use this in a networked environment, is this possible - and if yes, how do I need to set it up?
Do I have to use the same databse across all computers or can I combine this with either the VirtualCD or NAS approach?
Switch ratings will not work with similtaneous access to the same database which is usually the way networked solutions are set up.
The panel should work with a shared database.
Its hard to answer until you decide on a network solution.
MCSmarties wrote: 4. Is there a way to directly compare and copy/switch the different user's ratings?
Again, the alternate ratings don't show up in the tag editor panel... Ideally, I would like to duplicate all existing ratings
for all users (as a starting point), then each user can tweak them to his heart's content.
No. If you already have 2 or more databases then you would need another script to combine them.
The panel sort of lets you compare ratings but the switch script won't (as it is)
MCSmarties wrote: 5. Can I use this in combination with AutoRateAccurate?
Yes, technically it will. I'm not sure if there is an option to direct the info to a custom field or not so it maybe useless for the panel.
It will update the current users info using the switch ratings script but as it is based on play counts etc all users will end up with the same ratings eventually?
MCSmarties

Post by MCSmarties »

Thanks for the quick turnover!

I would really like to use this script, let's see if I can get it to work.
MoDementia wrote: There is a fair bit of editing of the vbs file to limit which fields are displayed. I can add the functionallity in a few days time if you decide to use this script.
Well, I prefer to work with Switch Ratings so this is not a high priority... but tweakability is always good!
MoDementia wrote: They are stored in the database in seperate tables. The "main" MM ratings are over written for the other tables when you switch users.
It's like having 2 databases with only the ratings different.
Oh IC, that explains it. Follow-up question: where is this extra database?
MoDementia wrote:
MCSmarties wrote: I would like to use this in a networked environment, is this possible (...)
The switch ratings you will have to migrate the same database (another script).
(...)
Switch ratings will not work with similtaneous access to the same database which is usually the way networked solutions are set up.
The panel should work with a shared database.
Its hard to answer until you decide on a network solution.
I have the music stored on my main computer (server) and each machine has its own database.
I also use VirtualCD to keep a subset of the music on the other machines.
So I would imagine that Switch Ratings would work?
If I understand you correctly, each machine using Switch Ratings will have 2 or more databases.
The file tags will always contain the "original" rating while the alternate rating(s) are stored in the separate database.
So, do I have to make sure that I specify the same user as owning the "original" rating on each machine?
As long as I can keep the separate user rating databases backed up, I should be ok - right?
MoDementia wrote:
MCSmarties wrote: 4. Is there a way to directly compare and copy/switch the different user's ratings?(...)
No. If you already have 2 or more databases then you would need another script to combine them.
The panel sort of lets you compare ratings but the switch script won't (as it is)
So the Switch script and the Panel script are based on two completely different methods?
Any chance of combining the two - using the Switch script to "convert" a specific custom field to a rating and display it as such?
e.g. set up the Switch script so that instead of specifying a "user" it specifies a "custom field" and modifies the ratings display accordingly.
I think that would be the ideal solution... but maybe that's not possible?
MoDementia wrote:
MCSmarties wrote: 5. Can I use this in combination with AutoRateAccurate?
Yes, technically it will. I'm not sure if there is an option to direct the info to a custom field or not so it maybe useless for the panel.
Now that I have a better understanding of how your Switch script works, I see why it should be possible to use AutoRateAccurate.
My gut feeling is that it wouldn't be possible to interact these two scripts since they different databases.
A script combining the functionalities of Switch Ratings and AutoRateAccurate would be awesome!

IMO priorities for developing the Switch Ratings script (if you feel like it, that is) would be:
1. Please tell me what the separate "ratings database" file is called when using Switch Ratings (so I know what must be backed up!)
2. An option to populate the alternate ratings database automatically with the existing ones (so the user doesn't have to start from scratch)
3. A way to compare the ratings side by side (merge Switch Ratings and Custom Ratings Panel?)
4. Integrate with AutoRateAccurate ;)

Thanks a lot!
MoDementia

Post by MoDementia »

MCSmarties wrote: Oh IC, that explains it. Follow-up question: where is this extra database?
It's "LIKE" having 2 databases but its the same MM.db just extra tables
3 Tables
MM - Songs - Rating
- User1Ratings
- User2Ratings
Original user
User1Ratings --> MM Rating
switch user
MM Rating --> User1Ratings
User2Ratings --> MM Rating
MCSmarties wrote: I have the music stored on my main computer (server) and each machine has its own database.
I also use VirtualCD to keep a subset of the music on the other machines.
So I would imagine that Switch Ratings would work?
If I understand you correctly, each machine using Switch Ratings will have 2 or more databases.
The file tags will always contain the "original" rating while the alternate rating(s) are stored in the separate database.
So, do I have to make sure that I specify the same user as owning the "original" rating on each machine?
As long as I can keep the separate user rating databases backed up, I should be ok - right?
The file tags will have the current users ratings if syncronised (I'm pretty sure I turned auto synchonise off when switching users so you could make sure the correct rating was put in the tag by manually synchronising)
If all machines have their own library why the need for seperate ratings? anybody can use any PC ?
then all ratings will be different on each PC :(
MCSmarties wrote: So the Switch script and the Panel script are based on two completely different methods?
Any chance of combining the two - using the Switch script to "convert" a specific custom field to a rating and display it as such?
e.g. set up the Switch script so that instead of specifying a "user" it specifies a "custom field" and modifies the ratings display accordingly.
I think that would be the ideal solution... but maybe that's not possible?
This is also possible but it depends how you are using the rating.
If it is just using a custom field(s) for different autoplaylist criteria creation then the panel is fine
if you need the ratings to react with other parts of MM (tagging, using the ratings column etc) then switch is the way to go.
MCSmarties wrote: Now that I have a better understanding of how your Switch script works, I see why it should be possible to use AutoRateAccurate.
My gut feeling is that it wouldn't be possible to interact these two scripts since they different databases.
A script combining the functionalities of Switch Ratings and AutoRateAccurate would be awesome!
see claification of database
MCSmarties wrote: IMO priorities for developing the Switch Ratings script (if you feel like it, that is) would be:
1. Please tell me what the separate "ratings database" file is called when using Switch Ratings (so I know what must be backed up!)
2. An option to populate the alternate ratings database automatically with the existing ones (so the user doesn't have to start from scratch)
3. A way to compare the ratings side by side (merge Switch Ratings and Custom Ratings Panel?)
4. Integrate with AutoRateAccurate ;)

Thanks a lot!
2 and 3 are certainly worth adding
4 ARA would have to integrate with these scripts :P

PS If you don't mind using numbers rather than stars have a look at Custom Properties Panel You can configure the panel to display any combination of custom fields and more.
MCSmarties

Post by MCSmarties »

MoDementia wrote:It's "LIKE" having 2 databases but its the same MM.db just extra tables
3 Tables
MM - Songs - Rating
- User1Ratings
- User2Ratings
Original user
User1Ratings --> MM Rating
switch user
MM Rating --> User1Ratings
User2Ratings --> MM Rating
Obviously I got it all wrong! Thanks for clarifying it.
MoDementia wrote:The file tags will have the current users ratings if syncronised (I'm pretty sure I turned auto synchonise
off when switching users so you could make sure the correct rating was put in the tag by manually synchronising)
If all machines have their own library why the need for seperate ratings? anybody can use any PC ?
then all ratings will be different on each PC :(
Well it's like this. My girlfriend and I have our own computer. We both rip and tag songs, which are then stored on my computer
(which acts as a server, plus some songs stored locally using VirtualCD. All the songs are in MP3 format and are EXTENSIVELY tagged
with ID3v2 (everything from composer to lyrics, original year and even some custom fields such as country and language).
This metadata is very precious to us, so we want to have all tag information stored in each file. I know there is trixmoto's backup
script and I manually backup the MM database as well, but still... a lot of this information is very difficult and tedious to obtain
and I would hate losing it. Hence, the autosychronize tags feater is ALWAYS turned on!

However, we obviously both have different music tastes. So far the agreement was that we wouldn't change a song's rating
(eg whoever ripped the song decides how it would be rated) but in day to day use it sucks! We can't simply change the rating
in our separate MM databases because as I said the autosynchronize is on -> a changed rating would modify the file.
And it's too much of a hassle if we constantly have to turn autosynchronize on and off...

That's where I thought your script would come in handy. Autosynchronize would be on for all tags EXCEPT for the custom
user rating as defined per your Switch Ratings script. My main concern is to find a way to save these custom ratings besides
the "real" rating of a file - in the MP3 file itself (custom field?) would be ideal, but if it's in the database that's acceptable too.
Can this be done with your script?
MoDementia wrote: PS If you don't mind using numbers rather than stars have a look at Custom Properties Panel You can configure the panel to display any combination of custom fields and more.
Well we actually experimented with using the Quality field to store settings, but it's a pain. Your script, using stars, would be so much more convenient ;-)

Thanks!
MoDementia

Re: Custom Ratings Panel v1.0 (29-03-08) + Switch Ratings [MM3]

Post by MoDementia »

Yes, with multiple users it always comes back to the limitation of only 1 mp3 to sync back to.

Ok I think I have a solution but it will take a while to script.

I think it will require ripped mp3s to be seperated (identified) somehow so that the script knows where to save the rating and importantly whether to sync it to the mp3 or not.
eg.
music\me\
music\gf\

and a free custom field per user (2 in this case)

In the mean time the panel is your only choice
I'm sure there is a script that will copy fields from one to another to get the custom fields populated initially
MoDementia

Re: Custom Ratings Panel v2.0 (21-08-08) + Switch Ratings [MM3]

Post by MoDementia »

New Version of Custom Ratings Panel

' 20-08-08 Version 2.0
' Code rewritten based on what I learnt doing Properties and Player Panel
' Options Sheet added
' Choose which Custom Fields to display
' Configure which Custom Fields will update "main" ratings
' MonkeyRok Skin Support (Requires new style to be added to skin.css

Code: Select all

table.bordered td {
	font-family:Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
  font-size: .7em;
	padding-right: 5px;
	padding-left: 3px;
  border: 1px solid rgb(39,87,119);
}
The script has pretty much been completely rewritten so its probably worth uninstalling v1.0 before installing 2.0
Most significant change for users is the ability to control which users ratings tag the music files.
Ratings are kept in sync between custom fields and main ratings
i.e. Changing a rating in the panel will update the main rating (if it matches the criteria set up in the options sheet)
Changing the main rating will update the matching custom field
However changing the custom field out side of the panel will not update the main ratings.

Requirements.
1 x Custom Field per user ratings set.
Field that will distinguish between which user controls the tagged rating.
i.e.
Track Path = ...User1...
Track Path = ...User2...
Sync Field would be "Path" and Sync Criteria would be "User1" or "User2" against the relevent custom fields.
If the sync field is left empty that users ratings will always update the main ratings.

Some users may need help with setting up the Sync field and Criteria; post here or PM me
MoDementia

Re: Custom Ratings Panel v2.1 (01-09-08) + Switch Ratings [MM3]

Post by MoDementia »

New Version Custom Ratings Panel v2.1

' 20-08-08 Version 2.1
' Fixed Refreshing panel when not visible
Big_Berny

Post by Big_Berny »

Hi MoDementia,
nice script! :)

About the compatibility to AutoRateAccurate: If I understand this script correctly it only works with the same database for all users. So IMHO it should be compatible but as MoDementia said the autoratings will be the same for all users as AutoRateAccurate uses data like the PlayCounter, LastPlayed-date, etc. which are the same for all users. Only if the users want to use different AutoRateAccurate-formulas it may make sense. But I don't know how good they would work together.
But since AutoRatings and manual ratings are different in the database it would be possible for SwitchRatings just to synch the manual ratings for example...
Scripts in use: Genre Finder / Last.fm DJ / Magic Nodes / AutoRateAccurate / Last.FM Node
Skins in use: ZuneSkin SP / Eclipse SP
AutoRateAccurate 3.0.0 (New) - Rates all your songs in less than 5 seconds!
About me: icoaching - internet | marketing | design
PabloF

Post by PabloF »

Hi there.

I'm back after a reinstallation and cannot download the .mmip. The link seems broken :(

Regards,

Pablo
akishikou

Post by akishikou »

Hello.

I was looking for something that I can use for mediamonkey that lets me have my own ratings for songs in my library.
The thing is, I share a computer with some other people who also use mediamonkey and the same library of songs.
And this is the closest thing I found to being able to have separate ratings for each person; atleast I believe that's what this is for.

I tried clicking on the link and it doesn't seem to work.
I wondered if anyone could send me the program via e-mail or make the link work again or something?
Because I've looked everywhere else and can't find anything.

Thanks,
Aidan.