Database Export\Import\Sync(DEISync) v2.3.5 (09-10-08) [MM3]

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

MoDementia

Re: Database Export\Import\Sync (DEISync) v2.1 (05-07-08) [MM3]

Post by MoDementia »

LOL I just went looking for it, thought I was going crazy :P
MoDementia

Re: Database Export\Import\Sync (DEISync) v2.2 (01-08-08) [MM3]

Post by MoDementia »

New Version

' 01-08-08 Version 2.2
' Changed "" to Null in IsAutoPlaylist (corrects statistics)
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

Thank you, I'm back in business. :D

Nyn
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

Hey:

Has anyone tried playing or editing tracks while an import is in progress? If so, did it have any adverse effects on your db?

Nyn

gggirlgeek

Post by gggirlgeek »

Would it be too optimistic to hope this works for computers over a home network? All of the files are located on my laptop, and I would like the family desktop to share the statistics and podcast subscriptions, etc. with my laptop.

I am also nervous about how the desktop's database will react to me moving and renaming files.

My roommate syncs her ipod on the desktop and I think the ipod might get confused as well.

...So, I'd like to keep the databases in sync as opposed to folder watching.
My current favorite software: MediaMonkey Gold!
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

I am successfully using this script to keep my desktop (main computer), work computer and laptop in sync. The work computer accesses it's music on an external drive and the laptop accesses the music via a home network when I am home and the internal hard drive when I am out of town. It's very easy to use once you get the hang of it. :D

I don't understand your statement about moving/renaming files, can you elaborate. And the ipod shouldn't have any problems continuing to sync with MM. I've used all three of my computers to sync my player, but they all have the same sync profile, so I don't know if that makes a difference. Also, all three computers have the same skins/scripts installed except for any scripts which are just for tag editing, those are only installed on my desktop.

Nyn

MCSmarties

Post by MCSmarties »

Hi,

I have started using this script and I think it's brilliant, but I'm having some problems. Not sure if it's because I want to do something that's not possible (yet?) or simply that I don't understand how to properly use it.

Basically, I want to have a 1:1 copy of my library on both my home computer and my laptop and be able to "work" on it at both ends - i.e. change tags, reorganize songs, add new songs etc. and have all changes reflected on the "other" library. My main concern is to also keep the metadata in the song *files* (e.g. ID3v2, respectively Vorbis comments) synced. How can I do this?
nynaevelan wrote:I am successfully using this script to keep my desktop (main computer), work computer and laptop in sync.
Could you please post exactly how you managed to do this? I know you posted earlier about how you kept your work computer and your desktop synced, but I still don't quite get it. In particular, how do you deal with *moved* songs?

Example: consider that at a given time, I have the following tracks on my 2 computers

Computer A contains tracks: "A", "B1","C2", "D", "F", "H->I"
Computer B contains tracks: "A", "B2","C1", "E", "F->G", "H"

I use the following shorthand:
B2, C2 are modified versions of B1 resp. C1 (e.g. I modified the tags)
"F-G" means that track "F" has been MOVED to a different directory, becoming track "G" (same with "H->I")
e.g. F=G and H=I but located in a different area.

What I want after syncing is to have on both computers: "A", "B2", "C2", "D", "E", "G", "I".

MoDementia, I also have two big requests on my wishlist:

- export new tracks: would it be possible to export the current <PATH> of the new tracks? Using auto-organize unfortunately doesn't work for me, because I use an organization scheme that cannot always be inferred from the tags (has to do with being able to find songs quickly on my portable player - long story) :roll:

- FILTER support, resp. selective syncing: My library is divided in different areas such as tagged music, "work in progress" and brand-new songs, even including songs located on a third networked computer (all kept separate by using location-based filters). I would like to synchronize only the tagged music and the "work in progress", e.g. could DEISync be setup so to only sync the currently filtered library? Or alternatively, sync only a particular drive / path? I have music on drives E, H and R and a network drive, but would like to only sync tracks from H and R to my laptop. Unfortunately, DEISync currently always maps all locations to the new drive. I know that I can simply delete dead links after each database export, but it's a pain when so many songs are involved...

Many thanks!
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

MCSmarties:

Let me start off by saying I VERY rarely do any tag editing on my work computer and my laptop is just for listening and the only changes I will make there are playlist adjustments. But when I do make tag adjustments on my work computer I use the log file to keep track of the affected tracks and I manually move the tracks to the new location on my home computer while the import is being completed on the db. The majority of the changes which I make are to the filename and the dead links node along with the logfile make it very easy for me to identify and fix the files, which I always complete manually. But here is the process which I use to keep my computers in sync, I will not mention the laptop because I only export and import on that one when I am going out of town, and I always do a complete db export...

1. If I've added a lot of tracks or made alot of adjustments, I export a complete database along with export new tracks selected, otherwise I'll just complete an export sync. NOTE: I will usually do a complete db export if I've made more than 100 adjustments, I use Bex's Last 100 script to look at the dates of the last 250 modified tracks. I do this because I am too impatient to wait more than 5 minutes before I start playing music, I HATE working in silence. :(
2. Copy db, log and any tracks to my mp3 player. I used to bring home my external drive each weekend but that got to be too tedious.
3. On work compuer I overwrite the db and copy tracks to new locations
4. Check dead links to make sure all tracks are where they should be, make the necessary adjustments if they are not.
5. Sync any necessary tracks to be updated with new metadata.
5a. If I am feeling particularly anal, I will use Bex's Add/Remove PlayStats script to update the tracks which I've listened to on my player on my way to work. Since I listen to music by playlist, they are easy to identify. :wink:
6. At the end of the day complete an export sync, I do not have new tracks selected because I do not add new tracks to my work computer. I usually don't print the log I just email it to my home in order to review if necessary.
7. On home computer I import sync the db, check dead links if I've moved tracks (which I rarely do), sync any adjusted tracks.
8. The next morning start the process again except using a export sync instead of a complete db export.

In all the process only takes a few minutes in the morning to export the db and copy the tracks to my player and a few minutes to import into the second location. It may seem like a lot but the process has been simplified since I started using this script. I'll let MoDementia answer the question regarding moved files because I am sure he can answer more intelligently.

Nyn

MoDementia

Post by MoDementia »

Nyn's steps are the best (only) way to use the script logically
It means that only 1 computer has changes to be exported at any one time

so you example should look like this
Computer A contains tracks: "A", "B1","C2", "D", "F", "H->I"
Export Sync DB
Import Sync DB
Computer B contains tracks: "A", "B1","C2", "E", "F", "I"
Change B1 and F
Export Sync DB
Import Sync DB
Computer A contains tracks: "A", "B2","C2", "D", "G", "I"

So before you make changes on the other computer they should already be in sync.

As for moved files it is not catered for in the script as Auto Organise will work with the updated data.
I use Un Auto Organised for this purpose.
I see that you have a tricky organisation scheme that you have trouble using an Auto Organise rule with
I suggest making another post in the help section for help with establishing 1 or more Auto Organise rules before specifically changing the script.
I have to use a custom field for my Auto Organise rule to achieve what is not normally possible so I believe there are ways to get around what you might think is impossible.
Find File --> Locate Moved/Missing Tracks may also be used successfully for these tracks.

The script assumes other databases to be exact copies (with the exception of the Exported Sync Entries) so I am not clear on what effect adding a filter or running it against selected tracks only would have.
If you have the same filters set up on your laptop it shouldn't have too much effect leaving them in there?

[EDIT] I am also adding a new option to the script atm which will need completing before I can look at any further changes
MCSmarties

Post by MCSmarties »

HI Nyn, MoDementia,

Thank you for your long and thoughtful replies. Things are starting to make more sense now...
So the key is to always remember to do the syncing at the proper times!

Thanks also for the suggestion of using a custom field to store my customized path. I will look into that.
And finally I just realized that I worry too much about exporting undesired database tracks.
You're right, if I just apply a filter to my library on the laptop, I can simply ignore the other tracks!
tgriff9020

Post by tgriff9020 »

Ok, I need a little help here, Im confused :-? Here is my scenario, I have my main PC and a laptop. My PC is the home for all my music files via a external HD. This is also where I make any changes to the music files. From what I understand is I want to export from main PC and import on my laptop. But what I am getting confused on is what the settings during the export should be. I do have the 2 machines networked. So Im not sure if I want to have the new music path match where my music is stored on the external drive and since this is a mapped drive ,I dont know if I should make the new drive letter the same as the mapped drive letter. Any help would be appreciated
MoDementia

Post by MoDementia »

To be sure run "Export Complete Database" on the lap top and click "Load from external Drive info" and point it to the music directory
Then click save new to *.txt

On you main PC run "Export Complete Database" and click load from saved *.txt and point it to the ,txt file you saved with the laptop
This will ensure you have te correct settings for the initial Complete Database
Then replace the laptop MM.DB with the exported complete database

From that point you can use the export sync database and import sync database on the main PC and laptop respectfully

If they are networked you might like to wait for the new version coming soon (it will be a bit beta but..)
MoDementia

Re: Database Export\Import\Sync(DEISync) v2.3.1 (03-10-08) [MM3]

Post by MoDementia »

New Version

' 25-09-08 Version 2.3.1
' New Option Sync Network Database

Consider this as a beta release (all previous options have not changed and should work as per v2.2)
The concept is very different from the original options and changed direction a number of times during development.
I also got interupted during the development so I can't be sure which parts I was happy with testing and which parts still needed attention :(
So make backups of your databases regularly

***Note Make sure the databases are in sync before installing the new version

The option will ask for the location of the MM.DB of a networked PC
There is a checkbox to include playlists or not
***Note this is important as the playlists of the PC running the script will get overwritten by the networked PC's playlists
Clicking OK another form will be generated listing the differences between the 2 databases
Radio buttons per difference signal if the local, or network database needs/will be updated
You can change which database will be updated or click none to leave the data unchanged.
Clicking OK will update the databases
***Note only the PC running the script will have tags written, the network PC will have unsynchronised if changes are made to it.
*** So it is important to run the script on the PC that will have the most changes applied to it.

There is a checkbox to save the file as a log, probably worth doing while it is in "Beta" form

Sounds complicated but it's actually alot easier than the current options.

If the PCs are not Networked you can just copy the whole MM.DB from the other PC and run the option then copy it back.

[EDIT] I haven't worked out what to do with added/deleted tracks yet tracks or album art. I would like to get it stable at this stage first.

{EDIT] If you decide to go back to v2.2 then you will need to completely uninstall v2.3.1

[EDIT] If you have multiple PC's consider 1 to be the master PC, run the option on all the other PC's from the master PC then the other PC's only need to run it against the "Master" PC to get all the updates.
irshjet35

Post by irshjet35 »

Thanks Mo I will give that a shoy
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

I get the folowing error, playlists are not checked:

Nyn