Why does MM 3 keep accessing my backup drive?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

sonicendeavor

Why does MM 3 keep accessing my backup drive?

Post by sonicendeavor »

Hi all,
I keep hearing my external drive that's used solely for backup accessing the disk every 30 seconds, so I turned on my Sysinternals FileMon utility and it turns out Media Monkey is the culprit. I double checked the MM file monitor option and it says to only check my D: drive for new additions.
Why is MM looking at my E: drive and how do I tell it to stop?

Here's what it does, exactly every 30 seconds:
1:26:23 PM MediaMonkey.exe:1288 OPEN E:\ SUCCESS Options: Open Directory Access: 00100001
1:26:23 PM MediaMonkey.exe:1288 QUERY INFORMATION E:\ SUCCESS FileNameInformation
1:26:23 PM MediaMonkey.exe:1288 QUERY INFORMATION E:\ SUCCESS FileNameInformation
1:26:23 PM MediaMonkey.exe:1288 QUERY INFORMATION E:\ SUCCESS FileFsVolumeInformation
1:26:23 PM MediaMonkey.exe:1288 QUERY INFORMATION E:\ SUCCESS FileFsAttributeInformation
1:26:23 PM MediaMonkey.exe:1288 CLOSE E:\ SUCCESS

30 seconds later..........
1:26:53 PM MediaMonkey.exe:1288 OPEN E:\ SUCCESS Options: Open Directory Access: 00100001
1:26:53 PM MediaMonkey.exe:1288 QUERY INFORMATION E:\ SUCCESS FileNameInformation
1:26:53 PM MediaMonkey.exe:1288 QUERY INFORMATION E:\ SUCCESS FileNameInformation
1:26:53 PM MediaMonkey.exe:1288 QUERY INFORMATION E:\ SUCCESS FileFsVolumeInformation
1:26:53 PM MediaMonkey.exe:1288 QUERY INFORMATION E:\ SUCCESS FileFsAttributeInformation
1:26:53 PM MediaMonkey.exe:1288 CLOSE E:\ SUCCESS

Thanks.
nohitter151

Re: Why does MM 3 keep accessing my backup drive?

Post by nohitter151 »

I don't know why but you can tell MM to ignore that drive altogether by editing your MediaMonkey.ini file.

Update the MediaMonkey.ini file to ignore the drive letter used by the Device by changing IgnoreDriveLetters=AB in MediaMonkey.ini so that it also contains the drive letter held by your external drive.

For details on how to edit MediaMonkey.ini, see:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ticleid=17
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
sonicendeavor

Post by sonicendeavor »

nohitter151 wrote:I don't know why but you can tell MM to ignore that drive altogether by editing your MediaMonkey.ini file.

Update the MediaMonkey.ini file to ignore the drive letter used by the Device by changing IgnoreDriveLetters=AB in MediaMonkey.ini so that it also contains the drive letter held by your external drive.

For details on how to edit MediaMonkey.ini, see:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ticleid=17
Thanks.
I changed the ini file to IgnoreDriveLetters=ABE and it now only tries to access the E: drive once upon startup.
Just a note for others who need to do this - make sure Media Monkey is closed before you modify the ini file, otherwise when you close media monkey it overwrites your changes.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

sonicendeavor wrote: Just a note for others who need to do this - make sure Media Monkey is closed before you modify the ini file, otherwise when you close media monkey it overwrites your changes.
Yes, you could also note that from the KB article I referenced :wink:
KB wrote:To modify any of these files, first make sure that MediaMonkey has been closed
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Do any playlists located on D reference the E drive?

Is there any other way you use the E drive in MediaMonkey itself?
sonicendeavor

Post by sonicendeavor »

Lowlander wrote:Do any playlists located on D reference the E drive?

Is there any other way you use the E drive in MediaMonkey itself?
The E drive is strictly a USB backup drive where scheduled weekly image copies of my C and D drives are stored. It's never been used for anything other than a backup drive and I never point any software to that drive other than my backup software. The backups are stored as image backups so I doubt Media Monkey could have scanned those and found anything useful to make it think there were valid files.
So no, there aren't any playlists referencing the E drive, nor do I tell Media Monkey about that drive anywhere. I just went through all the option screens to double-check and everything is pointing to either C or D.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Maybe it does so for the My Computer node?